Poll USPS: Junk Mail!!!

How much of your USPS mail is unsolicited junk mail?

• Over 59% by piece

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Over 81% by weight

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • 59% or less by piece

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • 81% or less by weight

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
FWIW, my standard answers in stores:

"Can I get your phone number?"
"Sorry, it's unlisted and I don't give it out."

"Can I get your address?"
"Sorry, we just moved and we're still in an extended stay hotel until we can find an apartment."

My simple answer to the questions are No an No. No need to make up an excuse.☺ Some years ago I was at a Kmart making a small cash purchase. The cashier asked for my zip code. I informed the cashier that I could see no reason why that was required for a cash sale. Cashier, in a nasty tone, told me they wouldn't sell the item to me in that case. In a slightly raised voice I demanded to speak to the manager. They quickly decided my zip code was not required after all and completed the sale.

Yup. Big source of revenue for the struggling postal system though. I don't mind throwing it away if it helps them maintain service levels and reduce postage price increases.

Agreed!

I get 15 pounds of catalogs from Viking River Cruises alone!

I'm really helping the PO out this year.

In the Spring, I had small amounts of frequent flyer miles left on Delta and American that we would never add to in any significant amount. These were quantities that would not support a free ticket. So we ordered magazines to use up the miles (5,000 - 9,000 miles). Now we get about 8 to 10 monthly magazines that we end up throwing away most of the time. We also get some magazines that just show up that we never ordered. Go figure...

This is what I did to hold the mail in one house I owned, how long do you think it would take to fill the garage with letters :D

th

I know we can stop our mail delivery for short periods of time, but I don't like the idea of telling the PO that we won't be home for 1-2 months. Maybe no big deal.

Is it possible to establish a PO Box, and cancel home delivery completely? I was thinking they might not continue to add junk mail into the PO Box. What happens if these get very filled up? .....

What is everyone else doing about mail build up when they travel?
JP

We redirect our mail to a relative's house, the flyers automatically stop and sometimes take a while to start back up after we are back after the trip.

Problem with a P.O. box is that all the mail goes into it, it will fill up and be full , and then the post office will cease delivery to you. They have to by law deliver everything, so your P.O. box gets the flyers and becomes full.

Redirecting works well, it takes about 10 days to start showing up at the new place and can be set up online for $1 at the post office web site.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom