Poll: What are the reasons you retired/want to retire?

What are the top 3 reasons you retired/want to retire?

• The middle class is dead.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • You’ve been replaced (by technology).

• Corporations don’t like you.

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Money is not happiness.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • Count right now how many people can make a major decision that can ruin your life.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Your job is not satisfying your needs.

Votes: 69 74.2%
  • Your Retirement Plan is For ****.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Excuses (your own).

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • It’s okay to take baby steps.

• Abundance will never come from your job.

Votes: 29 31.2%

• Total voters
My reasons weren't on the list either.
Primary reason I want to retire is to be warm. I absolutely hate where I live when it's winter. It's -30C-40C ish right now...
If that keeps you from working, I was about to say that you could move to a Southern state and continue to work, but seeing that you are Canadian I realized that it did not apply. :cool:

Well, it doesn't really matter about the particular reasons. People voluntarily retire simply because they do not want to work, and they can afford to stop work.

Conversely, people work because they either like it (a minority in the population, and of course a rarity here given the affinity to dropping out early), or because they cannot afford to stop work.

In Boolean logic, if C = A .and. B, then (not C) = (not A ) .or. (not B) :)

Last edited:
If that keeps you from working, I was about to say that you could move to a Southern state and continue to work, but seeing that you are Canadian I realized that it did not apply. :cool:

Well, it doesn't really matter about the particular reasons. People voluntarily retire simply because they do not want to work, and they can afford to stop work.

Conversely, people work because they either like it (a minority in the population, and of course a rarity here given the affinity to dropping out early), or because they cannot afford to stop work.

In Boolean logic, if C = A .and. B, then (not C) = (not A ) .or. (not B) :)

What a load of boole...

Just a refresh of basic Boolean logic we all learned way back when. ;)

And if one thinks about it, the formal logic really agrees with common sense reasoning.

One would be very alarmed if it were not so. No fuzzy math here, the work by this [-]Bull[/-] Boole guy.

I forgot to add :

Because I can ! :)

No specific answer applies to me. In my case, reasons include (in no particular order) : litigation issues, peer pressure, insurance driven medicine, MAs from hell, and being overworked in general.

What a nerd board! Boolean algebra for early retirement! Love it!. When I was taking boolean algebra there was a test where I was the next to the last to finish. I was upset because I was never the lowest student. Always near the top. Found out that the test only required one answer per question. I provided all possible solutions for each problem within the time limit. Only got an A. So did the people that only provided one answer per problem. Test was not hard enough.:facepalm:

Options above did not describe my plight. Job was always a means to an end (ER). Was always looking for the perfect job. You know the one you can not wait to go to everyday and will have enough passion in it that the 'job" description is not accurate. More like doing what you love and getting paid for it. Still looking for that. Now have the FI to search on a more full time basis.

Fear of dying and not being able to enjoy my hard work is the #1 reason why I want to retire. Being burnt out is another reason, but fear of dying is probably #1.

Seen too many co-workers dying while still working.

I enjoy my w*rk, but it takes up too much of my time. I've got places to go, people to see and things to do.

I just felt it was time . I had always planned on retiring in my 50's but after my husband died work became a diversion so I stayed until the day before my 60th birthday. I did retire in my 50's just a little later than planned.

There are plenty of things I would like to do and many of them would be difficult or impossible to do while I am working. Put differently, there are more things to engage with outside the office than in it.

I enjoy my w*rk, but it takes up too much of my time. I've got places to go, people to see and things to do.

This made me smile, as it is one of my favorite things my dad says.

Walt, come on down to the Carolinas!! It is warm here!!

I don't identify with any of the reasons. I ER'd because I had saved enough to do so and no longer could motivate myself to go to work.

Like chasing each paycheck until you finally caught the last one ;)

Some reasons, in no particular order:

• My brother retired at 55, and kicked the bucket (way too young) at 65. At least he got 10 good years in, and he made the most of them;
  • I realized I was "working for the weekend";
  • My job entailed much overnight travel, with no associated sense of adventure;
  • Some management (even though I was part of it);
  • Some subordinates;
  • Wife was OK with it (not to be discounted);
  • I could.

Though it was a poorly constructed poll (mine), the results are encouraging. Unfortunately they also clearly show how different this crowd is than the mainstream US population IMO.

Back
Top Bottom