Preparing for this retirement!

Anyone else find this statement odd?

"“I never damaged my body with liquor,” said Mercado, who quit a 76-year smoking habit when he was 90."

O0

This statement puts his age in perspective:
Emiliano Mercado del Toro, who was a boy when the United States seized Puerto Rico from Spain in 1898
:eek:

Emiliano Mercado del Toro, who was a boy when the United States seized Puerto Rico from Spain in 1898

Seized? Sounds like a liberal wrote that comment. :D Lets give it back.

Lazarus said:
Seized? Sounds like a liberal wrote that comment.  :D Lets give it back.
What the heck, let's throw in Cuba too.

Smoking doesn't kill everybody. My parents' neighbor was a lifelong smoker. She lived to 94. She survived 4 bouts of cancer--but not lung cancer; I forget what carried her off. She also drank in moderation.

Another elderly neighbor swore by cocktails every afternoon at 4. We'd go visit her, the cocktail hour would slip into dinnertime and beyond. She got through every day by being sweetly snockered. Died at 89.

I think that research has shown that a lucky few get really good genes and they can pretty much do what they want. The rest of us have to be careful.

My wife had a great aunt who took her medicine every afternoon. Some kind of whiskey ;) She lived to a nice age of 104.

Here's something else to ponder:
I wonder what type of retirement he had? Better start adjusting those retirement spreadsheets to ensure your nest egg lasts long enough to survive about 60 years of retirement. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom