How to spend some money.....

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This came on tv this morning.... WOW is all I have to say....
I mean paying someone $5K to shop clothes for you for a day!!!!!
Joan Lunden tries to spend $1 million in 24 hours...

If one has money to burn.... go for it.

I think I'll pass.

I couldn't 't see us spending like that even if we hit the Lottery... and keep in mind this was over 20 years ago.

The total of our combined clothes expenses for a year doesn't even come close to $5k.

I wonder if that rooftop penthouse around the 55 second mark was the inspiration for that old Bugs Bunny cartoon where Elmer Fudd accidentally brings Bugs home to his penthouse after digging up a rare desert flower?

As for $5,000, I don't think I have $5,000 worth of clothes, PERIOD! Well, maybe if you count footwear.

As for $5,000, I don't think I have $5,000 worth of clothes, PERIOD! Well, maybe if you count footwear.
Same....maybe even including footwear, as most of it is from the DSW clearance rack, and a couple from when Payless was closing down stores. I tend to trawl the mall department stores for clearance sales whenever we're there.

That said, if I knew I had money to spare, I'd have no problem spending it, as long as I didn't feel like I was wasting it.

Last edited:
I watched some of the video. It was nice to watch as I was familiar with most of the geographic locations, although I certainly didn't stay in any high-end hotels, and my typically method of transportation in Manhattan involved neither a Bently nor a helicopter.

My total spending on clothes for the past 10 years has been $2597, so about $260/year. Most of that is on shoes because I wear expensive shoes that are comfortable and support my feet. Anyway, I (obviously!) wear cheap, comfortable "retiree clothes" like sturdy tshirts and shorts, and have no desire to dress up any further than that at my age. :)

That said, I liked being able to get a new roof immediately last year when mine started leaking badly (8'x10' puddles on the floor! eek). It's nice to have money when there is a sudden and unexpected need for it.

I’m torn when I read and hear about such extravagance. One part of me wonders how they can live like that while other human beings struggle to provide the basics for themselves and their families. The other part of me thinks, all this extravagance employees a lot of working class people who are well paid (I hope) . I am thinking of a bartender who can make $1000 for five hours of work at one of these rich people parties. Actually 10 hours work give the prep and cleanup he’s has to do. Still I never made $100 an hour at any job I worked.

I had forgotten what an elegantly attractive woman Joan Lunden is/was.

Other than that, well, I just skimmed, but not much that would want to BTD on.

-ERD50

I’m torn when I read and hear about such extravagance. One part of me wonders how they can live like that while other human beings struggle to provide the basics for themselves and their families. The other part of me thinks, all this extravagance employees a lot of working class people who are well paid (I hope) . I am thinking of a bartender who can make $1000 for five hours of work at one of these rich people parties. Actually 10 hours work give the prep and cleanup he’s has to do. Still I never made $100 an hour at any job I worked.
+1. Though you have to have more sympathy for those who can’t help themselves?

My total spending on clothes for the past 10 years has been $2597, so about $260/year. Most of that is on shoes because I wear expensive shoes that are comfortable and support my feet. Anyway, I (obviously!) wear cheap, comfortable "retiree clothes" like sturdy tshirts and shorts, and have no desire to dress up any further than that at my age. :)

That said, I liked being able to get a new roof immediately last year when mine started leaking badly (8'x10' puddles on the floor! eek). It's nice to have money when there is a sudden and unexpected need for it.

Earlier in the year, I got an unexpected refund on a credit card that had a zero balance. Instead of using that card for ongoing expenses like groceries, fuel, or whatever, I splurged on a pair of dress boots that had caught my eye. However, they were on sale, 50% off. But, instead of saving half, I simply bought two pairs, one in black and one in brown. So I guess I can BTD when needed.

There really was no need for them, though. The last time I had to do anything remotely like dressing up was for my Mom's funeral back in July of last year. I mostly work from home, and when I do go in, it's usually just jeans and a collared shirt. Most of the time around the house, I'm just wearing jogging pants/sweatpants/lounge pants/etc, and a t-shirt.

But yeah, it is nice having the money for when something unexpected comes up. I had to have my water heater replaced last month, and that sucker set me back almost $2,000! I probably could have gotten it done cheaper, but at this point, it's water under the bridge, and I hardly even think about it. I was definitely fussing over the cost at the time, but once I spent the money it was like meh, whatever.

Last week DW showed me a picture of me 9 winters ago.

Her question...recognize the shirt:confused:

Yes...same one I was wearing in Mexico last month.

I hate shopping. I will buy on line infrequently IF I find a brand that I am familiar with, know the sizing, etc.

Otherwise it is Costco. Especially good for travel clothes but you do have to understand what will travel well, wear well, etc. Lots of lesser quality as well.

As above when I buy shoes price is not the issue. Or style. It is all about comfort and quality. Same deal...I hate shopping for shoes!

And that shirt is still like new. It is going to Morocco later this month. Along with my eight or nine year old Teva light weight sandals.

Last edited:
Last week DW showed me a picture of me 9 winters ago.

Her question...recognize the shirt:confused:

Yes...same one I was wearing in Mexico last month.

I hate shopping. I will buy on line infrequently IF I find a brand that I am familiar with, know the sizing, etc.

Otherwise it is Costco. Especially good for travel clothes but you do have to understand what will travel well, wear well, etc. Lots of lesser quality as well.

As above when I buy shoes price is not the issue. Or style. It is all about comfort and quality. Same deal...I hate shopping for shoes!

And that shirt is still like new. It is going to Morocco later this month. Along with my eight or nine year old Teva light weight sandals.

Have you considered buying a new item of clothing as a souvenir of your travels?

My observations indicate that women do this all the time. OTOH, they often have more choices. We men seem to be more limited in how we can dress and not look "unusual". One of my favorite such souvenirs is a wool hat bought at a 'historical' working wool farm in Ireland. Looks great after all these years and keep me warm in winter. It also gathers a lot of compliments. :)

.....well I do have a very summery shirt that I bought years ago at the Nautica outlet shop in Lincoln City (Oregon coast) when our children were small. It recently appeared for nowhere it whould seem. Also took it to Mexico last month. DW says it has been in and out of style several times over the last 25 years.

Apart from that I wear a belt that I bought at a market in Buenos Aires. And another one I bought at a market outside Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

We only travel with carry on. Not much room fo shopping items. If we buy something it is usually because we have discarded something en route.

I did buy a first rate winter car coat that I picked up at Costco in Bellingham on our way through nine or ten years ago. It does not get very much use since we typically go somewhere warm for most of the winter. But...that was on a car trip. Lots of room.

Last edited:
Long time ago I realized the reason so many celebrities continue working long after you would have thought they'd have made enough to quit. The lifestyle costs a fortune and requires continual feeding. Granted some of them just love to work, or maybe its just greed. But, really I think for most they simply can't afford to quit.

P.S. Think about it. If you're spending $2-3M a year (after-tax) at a relatively young age, say in your 30's, 40's, how much are you gonna need to keep up that lifestyle for the rest of your life given inflation, taxes, etc. You're gonna need to either have banked a couple hundred million or... keep working as long as humanly possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom