Join Early Retirement Today

Re: presidents, war, etc
Old 03-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, they're not ALL idiots...

Some are dipsh*ts, some are f*#%wads, many are a$$holes... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather
No, they're not ALL idiots...

Some are dipsh*ts, some are f*#%wads, many are a$$holes...* :P
Some are also all three. Take Orin Hatch or Tom DeLay for example....

Old 03-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

You forgot 'buttheads'.

Yeah, I can go for them all being morons.

Now why do we keep voting in morons?

Oh yeah. Billions of dollars pumped through a pair of good old boy networks. And people just do what their television tells them to do.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
Now why do we keep voting in morons?
To keep the wrong moron from winning?

From the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:
Quote:
…’It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see…’ (this is just after a huge robot lands in downtown London, killing people, doing billions of dollars of damage - and announcing ‘I come in peace, take me to your lizard’)

‘You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?’

‘No,’ said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, ‘nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.’

‘Odd,’ said Arthur, ‘I thought you said it was a democracy.’

‘I did,’ said Ford. ‘It is.’

‘So,’ said Arthur, hoping he wasn’t sounding ridiculously obtuse, ‘why don’t people get rid of the lizards?’

‘It honestly doesn’t occur to them,’ said Ford. ‘They’ve all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they’ve voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.’

‘You mean they actually vote for the lizards?’

‘Oh yes,’ said Ford with a shrug, ‘of course.’

‘But,’ said Arthur, going for the big one again, ‘why?’

‘Because if they didn’t vote for a lizard,’ said Ford, ‘the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?’
Old 03-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

By the way: Good post, sgeeeee.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing not mentioned so far about President Carter is he started the funding for Osama and the group that ran USSR out of Afghanistan (Taliban). Reagan carried on with the executive order and continued to support the "resistance", also Bush I and Clinton.

Boobs - all of them
Old 03-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Come on, Brewer. Be a conservative. Be a warmonger. Everyone is doing it. It's hard to be a liberal. Why be in a voiceless minority when you can go along with the mindless crowd? You start out being concerned about other people and before long their misery keeps you from sleeping at night. Join the crowd. Wrap yourself in the flag and become a conservative. If other people are suffering, it must be their fault. Screw 'em. You can sleep.

Be a conservative. Don't be fiscally responsible and worry about future generations. Spend future generation's money on war. Cooperation and respect are too hard. It takes too long to understand other cultures and gain repect. Drop the big one. Show 'em what a conservative is made of.

Come on, Brewer. Be a conservative. Science and reason is too difficult. FOX news and religious fundamentalists will tell you what to think. Why waste all that time collecting real facts and analyzing them when others will do the work for you.

Be a conservative, Brewer. You don't need rights. The current US administration knows what's best for you. Let them tap your phone without legal procedures. Let them torture prisoners. Standing for personal freedom and international law is overrated.

Come on, Brewer. Embrace modern conservatism. It's just easier.
I guess the big question is "Who would Jesus bomb?"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
I guess the big question is "Who would Jesus bomb?"
All of them.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One
One thing not mentioned so far about President Carter is he started the funding for Osama and the group that ran USSR out of Afghanistan (Taliban). Reagan carried on with the executive order and continued to support the "resistance", also Bush I and Clinton.

Boobs - all of them
This always seems to come back to bite us: Afghanistan, Panama, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam...

"How many more times?" Led Zeppelin

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather
This always seems to come back to bite us: Afghanistan, Panama, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam...

"How many more times?" Led Zeppelin
Makes me wonder where we are sowing the seeds of tomorrow's disasters. Aside from the "usual suspects" above, any ideas? Gotta be somewhere in South America and Africa that my kids will be regretting what we are doing today.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Has anyone seen the move "Lord of War" with Nicholas Cage? NC played an arms dealer, although it was fiction the credits say it is based on actual events. It was pretty scary, people/businesses just out to make as much money as they can by selling arms to dictators, etc. with just a wink from the government. I think all of this arms dealing is what will come back to bite us.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You may be right. Have you noticed in most news shots of the middle east that the most prominent weapon is either Soviet or Chinese made/design. Generally the AK-47. In many countries and many individuals arms dealing is a way of life. It is what puts bread on the table. Is there a reasonable plan to stop it? I don’t know of any third world weapons turn in program that is working.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking of AK-47's, just saw this yesterday - available on home shopping network and easy to use ( )
http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_s...iles/ak-47.wmv

Thanks to sic temper tyrannis 2006