Join Early Retirement Today

Pretty proud of myself
Old 05-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pretty proud of myself

all right...the bar is low

Mrs Scrapr & I stay with MIL while treating Mrs Scrapr's C. Our home is 3 hours away but the medical care there is poor. The wifi has been degrading. Drop outs, failure to connect, etc. After dithering and hoping it would get better I got the Google mesh. I had a bit of trepidation because I am "ok" at the tech thing but this wasn't my system.

My usual install goes something like...take out of box, plug everything in....read directions....uh ohh unplug everything. Then hook the wrong thing up...hmmm doesn't look like the directions. Watch a install video, then watch a Golden Retriever puppy video because it was "suggested". Where was I again? Unplug everything. Get the first thing plugged in and can't find the password. etc

The Google mesh was super easy. Plug in, wait for a bit...ready to go. Repeat for other 2 beacons. Strong wifi throughout

Who needs tech help?

Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

You should be! Of your skill in picking the right product for the job!

Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
You should be! Of your skill in picking the right product for the job!
the pressure was on. I had a baseball game to watch 2 hours after I bought the box. I had it set up, all the devices in the house connected and still had time to take Oden the Shedder for a walk. Sat down at 1st pitch
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post

My usual install goes something like...take out of box, plug everything in....read directions....uh ohh unplug everything. Then hook the wrong thing up...hmmm doesn't look like the directions. Watch a install video, then watch a Golden Retriever puppy video because it was "suggested". Where was I again? Unplug everything. Get the first thing plugged in and can't find the password. etc
Wait - are you saying these aren't the proper instructions for hooking up anything ever? Because these are the instructions I use (substitute cat video for dog video) every time.

Very well done, I say! You should be proud.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
The Google mesh was super easy. Plug in, wait for a bit...ready to go. Repeat for other 2 beacons. Strong wifi throughout
Sounds encouraging.

Well done!
Old 05-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

Great job Scrapr!
Old 05-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #7

My experience as well. I got the Netgear Orbi and it practically installed itself. I was nervous about swapping out my router, but no problems at all. Love the mesh router. Good coverage and took care of a couple issues I was having.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm impressed & inspired. I make an effort to keep up as best as I can but I've never even heard of a mesh router.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #9

I’ve been really happy with a standard dual band Netgear Nighthawk router that covers my home (~3500 sf) very well but, based on the reports in this thread, will take a close look at mesh solutions at the next move (likely 2021).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #10

Not handy myself, but am learning.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #11

Reminds me of the time I wanted to set up a multi-point wifi network in our house. I brought it home from the store, handed it to my (then) teenaged sons, and said let me know when it’s set up.

I got up in the morning and they had been up all night playing one of those online multi-player epic battles. (So, I knew the system was working. )

I asked one son how the install went. Without looking up from his monitor, he says: “It was really complicated. At one point we even had to check the directions”.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #12

For those of us without teenagers, there really should be a Rent-A-Teenager service for just this kind of thing. Someone could make a fortune by franchising this idea. Then I could spend less time looking at directions, crawling under furniture, and trying out new colorful language after each trip to Best Buy to purchase a new toy.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
For those of us without teenagers, there really should be a Rent-A-Teenager service for just this kind of thing. Someone could make a fortune by franchising this idea. Then I could spend less time looking at directions, crawling under furniture, and trying out new colorful language after each trip to Best Buy to purchase a new toy.
I sort of saw this tech thing coming. I said to my kids at the time (DD now 23 and DS now 26) "figure this stuff out so mom and dad never have to". Didn't work. Apparently I have to two least tech savy young adults in the world. Oh well.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:21 PM   #14

Outstanding!

street is offline   Reply With Quote