Pretty proud of myself

Scrapr

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
all right...the bar is low

Mrs Scrapr & I stay with MIL while treating Mrs Scrapr's C. Our home is 3 hours away but the medical care there is poor. The wifi has been degrading. Drop outs, failure to connect, etc. After dithering and hoping it would get better I got the Google mesh. I had a bit of trepidation because I am "ok" at the tech thing but this wasn't my system.

My usual install goes something like...take out of box, plug everything in....read directions....uh ohh unplug everything. Then hook the wrong thing up...hmmm doesn't look like the directions. Watch a install video, then watch a Golden Retriever puppy video because it was "suggested". Where was I again? Unplug everything. Get the first thing plugged in and can't find the password. etc

The Google mesh was super easy. Plug in, wait for a bit...ready to go. Repeat for other 2 beacons. Strong wifi throughout

Who needs tech help?

You should be! Of your skill in picking the right product for the job!

You should be! Of your skill in picking the right product for the job!

the pressure was on. I had a baseball game to watch 2 hours after I bought the box. I had it set up, all the devices in the house connected and still had time to take Oden the Shedder for a walk. Sat down at 1st pitch

My usual install goes something like...take out of box, plug everything in....read directions....uh ohh unplug everything. Then hook the wrong thing up...hmmm doesn't look like the directions. Watch a install video, then watch a Golden Retriever puppy video because it was "suggested". Where was I again? Unplug everything. Get the first thing plugged in and can't find the password. etc

Wait - are you saying these aren't the proper instructions for hooking up anything ever? Because these are the instructions I use (substitute cat video for dog video) every time. :facepalm: :LOL:

Very well done, I say! You should be proud.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Google mesh was super easy. Plug in, wait for a bit...ready to go. Repeat for other 2 beacons. Strong wifi throughout
Sounds encouraging.

Well done!

Great job Scrapr!

My experience as well. I got the Netgear Orbi and it practically installed itself. I was nervous about swapping out my router, but no problems at all. Love the mesh router. Good coverage and took care of a couple issues I was having.

I'm impressed & inspired. I make an effort to keep up as best as I can but I've never even heard of a mesh router.

I’ve been really happy with a standard dual band Netgear Nighthawk router that covers my home (~3500 sf) very well but, based on the reports in this thread, will take a close look at mesh solutions at the next move (likely 2021).

Not handy myself, but am learning.

Reminds me of the time I wanted to set up a multi-point wifi network in our house. I brought it home from the store, handed it to my (then) teenaged sons, and said let me know when it’s set up.

I got up in the morning and they had been up all night playing one of those online multi-player epic battles. (So, I knew the system was working. :) )

I asked one son how the install went. Without looking up from his monitor, he says: “It was really complicated. At one point we even had to check the directions”. :LOL:

For those of us without teenagers, there really should be a Rent-A-Teenager service for just this kind of thing. Someone could make a fortune by franchising this idea. Then I could spend less time looking at directions, crawling under furniture, and trying out new colorful language after each trip to Best Buy to purchase a new toy. :D

For those of us without teenagers, there really should be a Rent-A-Teenager service for just this kind of thing. Someone could make a fortune by franchising this idea. Then I could spend less time looking at directions, crawling under furniture, and trying out new colorful language after each trip to Best Buy to purchase a new toy. :D

I sort of saw this tech thing coming. I said to my kids at the time (DD now 23 and DS now 26) "figure this stuff out so mom and dad never have to". Didn't work. Apparently I have to two least tech savy young adults in the world. Oh well.

Outstanding!

Back
Top Bottom