Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Then the above started to happen and now it seems they are tightening the reigns again due to DEA crackdown not only on prescribers but pharmacies that unquestioningly fill any large quantity opiates
. . . And this crackdown on prescription opiates has reduced their availability on the black market, driven up street prices, and resulted in the much wider use of heroin by opiate addicts (as a now-cheaper and more widely available alternative to stolen/black-market prescription opiates). The use of heroin of widely varying strength and cut with fentanyl and God-knows-what other poisons, is resulting in an epidemic of OD deaths.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He was a great talent. I grew up in Niagara and was a couple years younger than Denise Matthews who met Prince in 1980 and became Vanity. She was part of the group Vanity 6 and sang many of his songs. Coincidentally, she died February 16 this year at age 57.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
We'll get the full story eventually. This is not necessarily a "rock star OD". This can happen to anyone. It really can.

+1. If this is the cause of his death, I hope that after the celebration (rightfully so) of his life and music, that the public eye doesn't forget just how lethal the opioids can be.

When hearing the news, my first thought was so young at 57. Then hearing that he was on pain medication for hip pain, my first thought was probably overdose (accidental or overuse). Sad.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #44

The link shows a disturbing trend with OD deaths from opioid and herion use. It is very sad.

"The U.S. government does not track death rates for every drug. However, the*National Center for Health Statistics*at the*Centers for Disease Control and Prevention*does collect information on many of the more commonly used drugs. The CDC also has a searchable database, called*CDC Wonder.

National Overdose Deaths—Number of Deaths from Prescription Drugs. The figure above is a bar chart showing the total number of U.S. overdose deaths involving prescription drugs from 2001 to 2014. The chart is overlayed by a line graph showing the number of deaths by females and males. From 2001 to 2014 there was a 2.8-fold increase in the total number of deaths."

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-to...se-death-rates
Old 04-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But the link HFWR posted - wow, that's some serious playing, performance, and musicianship (IMO). It's not hit material, but it is impressive, and probably the best I've seen of him.

-ERD50

You're welcome. 😎

No way I'd post the pop stuff. I have a reputation to uphold! Btw, there's a Facebook group called Jazz Rock Fusion worth checking out, as lots of links to youtube videos get posted there. The video I linked was courtesy of a post on that group.

You have to "join", but they'll let anyone in, as evidenced by the occasional weird tattooed crotch post, and the fact that I'm a member...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
. . . And this crackdown on prescription opiates has reduced their availability on the black market, driven up street prices, and resulted in the much wider use of heroin by opiate addicts (as a now-cheaper and more widely available alternative to stolen/black-market prescription opiates). The use of heroin of widely varying strength and cut with fentanyl and God-knows-what other poisons, is resulting in an epidemic of OD deaths.
All true. But you know what? We nearly forgot about heroin in the 80s. Maybe it was the coke, maybe "just say no", maybe fear of needles and AIDs, but it went away.

The theory is the heroin rebounded after people looked for alternates after their prescription was taken away. I.E. the prescriptions were the gateway.

Watch a few episodes of Intervention, and this is the typical story with addicts over 30. But what is disturbing is now kids are going right to it from the start, and it is darn near impossible to stop once they do.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I knew his partying days were long gone, but I did find this comment interesting.

Close followers of Prince find it hard to believe that anything sinister could have played into his death. He was a Jehovah’s Witness and obsessively healthy eater. You couldn’t drink, smoke or even curse at his Paisley parties.

“Better eat your cheeseburger before you get to Paisley,” Van Jones, a political commentator and activist who was a friend of Prince’s, said he used to think before visiting Prince.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celeb...uk9?li=BBnb7Kz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I knew his partying days were long gone, but I did find this comment interesting.

Close followers of Prince find it hard to believe that anything sinister could have played into his death. He was a Jehovah’s Witness and obsessively healthy eater. You couldn’t drink, smoke or even curse at his Paisley parties.

“Better eat your cheeseburger before you get to Paisley,” Van Jones, a political commentator and activist who was a friend of Prince’s, said he used to think before visiting Prince.

Clues to the Mystery of Prince’s Final Days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the more reason, IMO, to think probably painkiller overuse or accidental overdose instead of OD such as drug abuse to get a high.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #49

It's sad, I like his music. But he is not dying young. My sister just sent me an obituary of a friend's son who just died at 33.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If 1959 was the year the music died, 2016 is the year the music was utterly annihilated, cremated, pulverized and vaporized.

And yet, Keith Richards lives on. Go figure.
Organic food.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
. The use of heroin of widely varying strength and cut with fentanyl and God-knows-what other poisons, is resulting in an epidemic of OD deaths.
I had a hard working nephew, father of two little girls, who died from overdose with a large fentanyl cut. It's Russian roulette to use these drugs, I am glad I never considered doing them and I am sorry that he fell.

Ha
Old 04-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
All the more reason, IMO, to think probably painkiller overuse or accidental overdose instead of OD such as drug abuse to get a high.
Apparently Prince has already been cremated, and the results from the autopsy will not be received for four weeks. Maybe at that time we will know more about what caused his death.

The death of Prince, Day 3: Singer cremated

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Sounds kind of inappropriate to bring up as Prince passed away less than a week ago. But already the legal wheel is already turning about his estate:

Quote:
Prince left no will, according to documents filed Tuesday by his sister, Tyka Nelson, in probate court for Carver County, Minn., where the beloved pop icon died suddenly last week at his Paisley Park compound.

"The Decedent died intestate," Nelson said in her petition for the appointment of a special administrator to deal with Prince's estate, which has been widely reported to be valued at $300 million.

Nelson said her brother left no surviving spouse, no children and no parents. Besides Nelson, his full sister, he is survived by half-brothers and half-sisters, whom Nelson names in her petition as "interested parties" to the Prince estate to her knowledge thus far.
Quote:
Estate lawyers and Prince's former manager, Owen Husney, said they would have expected Prince to have drawn up a will and an estate plan long ago.

Husney said he was too smart to have overlooked something that crucial and he had teams of lawyers, business managers and accountants over the years who would have advised him it was crucial.
Prince died without a will, sister says
Old 08-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Interesting and sad that Prince may have unknowingly took a mislabeled pill that caused his death:

Quote:
Pills seized inside Prince's Paisley Park compound by investigators were labeled as hydrocodone but actually contained fentanyl -- the drug that killed the singer -- according to a source with knowledge of the investigation who revealed the information to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.The revelation gives more insight into what may have caused Prince's overdose. There are two likely possibilities: Either a pharmaceutical manufacturer mislabeled the pills, or the pills were illegally manufactured and obtained illegally.
However, according to the Star Tribune, investigators are working under the theory that the pop star did not know the pills contained fentanyl. Prince died on April 21 from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, according to the medical examiner.
Report: Pills found in Prince's home contained fentanyl - CNN.com

On another Prince note, looks like his estate will go the Elvis route:

Quote:
The Paisley Park museum will also feature thousands of items from Prince’s personal archives, including instruments, clothing, cars, motorcycles, awards, rare music and videos, according to the announcement from Prince’s family and the estate’s special administrator, Bremer Trust. The planners predict between 1,500 and 2,000 visitors on peak days.
Filings with the city of Chanhassen indicate that Prince’s family has entered into an operating agreement with a subsidiary of Graceland Holdings LLC, which has been involved in running Elvis Presley’s Graceland estate in Memphis since 1982.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/ar...ark-tours.html