Where will you be at age 80

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Where will you be at age 80?

Have you looked ahead? With all of the "what ifs" put aside, have you looked ahead to see what life might be like for you in the future? Not looking for a book, but simply picturing yourself at age 80...
A list of some things to think about... a long term look at what might happen and how what you are doing today, might change as you age.

Forget the doomsday scenarios. None of the "I expect to be dead" thoughts.

Just a simple look ahead to see you at 80. It's not even important that you share your thinking here. Just a heads up look beyond the good and the bad things that affect your life today, and a picture of yourself physically, mentally, actively... living a life that will naturally be quite different from today.

Here are some of the things that are different for me, compared to age 55 or 60.

Travel... while never world travelers, we did our share in the US. Now, a long trip is 50 miles.

LBYM... no change. though we could spend more, it's not in the genes.

Housing... Made the decision to retire in our Villa in our CCRC back in2004.

Play... Super active... party/dance every week... often 2... 'til we left our snowbrd home in Florida in 2012. Now... just when our kids visit, or when jeanie goes to Bingo.

Sleep... Not for me... (3 hrs/night)... but jeanie naps a lot.

Health... for me, pretty good... Afib. ployneuropathy, but otherwise quite good. normal blood. For jeanie, sometimes uses a cane or walker whenever we have to do much walking. Otherwise good. My strength has gone down over the past 2 years. Not enough exercise, but also a factor of age.

Food/Eating out... where we have really changed. In my case, AZ/Dementia onset has destroyed the sense of smell, and therefore taste. We hardly ever go out to eat, but prefer to fix what we like at home.

Money... Not wealthy by a long shot... (read about our frugal retirement), but barring catastrophe, we're safe, and can see our way clear to age 90+, including whatever type of CCRC care we may need.

Activity... both of us work at our CCRC, running different activities, as well as lots of personal friendship-comfort for older folks not as fortunate as us.

Daily activities... This is interesting... up until a few years ago, we went out in the car almost every day... shopping, exploring, good deeds, and the normal everyday things that go along with owning a house. Car service, interior decor, clothes and (well, just look at what you go out for). Now our trips are planned... to-do lists... reminders on the refrigerator...

Socializing... At one time, I would get 20+ personal emails a day... correspondence and keeping in touch with everybody. Now down to a "once in a while" contact...to see if we're still alive.

TV... too much... deep into politics and the world. Much PBS and NPR and always Amy Goodman. 1940's Black and white old time movies.

Current obsession is Artificial Intelligence. Me... jeanie's convinced I crazy.

Newest hobby... birds. Am going through 40 pounds of seed/month, and we are local stopover for hummingbirds on their way south next month.

Exercise... :( as a once world-class athlete, not so much. Stationary bike when the spirit moves, short walk in the AM three or four times a week. Fortunately the years of exercise in the past, and the road bike riding up until last year has left some muscle.

Doctors... We both do what we're told. Jeanie had a nuclear stress test this AM. Medications.. Yes... what we've been prescribed. BP for both of us averages about 120/70.
..........................................................................................

I think that we had a somewhat different vision of becoming old. For one thing, perhaps more worrying... possible health situations (unfounded), money... would we have enough?
More upset when things went wrong.
More concern for what was going on in our kids' lives. (unfounded)
What would happen if one of us passed away. (This forced us into making our wills and setting powers of attorney.) A big lift off our shoulders.

Did we make mistakes? Of course. Was the crystal ball clear.... :confused:? Yikes... mid course corrections that were massive. The dream of living year round in Florida was a BIG change. Only when we realized how much we missed the four seasons (after a hot summer in Leesburg FL.) did our New England heritage remind us that we belonged back north... where we are happily awaiting the foliage change.

I did what I said you shouldn't... a wide look at old(er) age. But really... have you thought of where you'll be at age 80?

BTW... would like to hear from those of you old timers who are already there, or getting close. :)

Last edited:
probably not in this life ,
at best ( nicest ) guess i have a 50% chance of reaching 70

( i assume that is without a heart transplant )

and they haven't started talking about that option yet

If I make it to 80 in decent health, I'll be a happy camper.

Same here!

We're on a waiting list for a CCRC but they really don't want you there before age 70. In fact there's a penalty of $2k per year younger than that. By the time DW hits 70, I'll be 76 so shortly after that we should be in the CCRC.

I think your list of changes comes pretty close to my expectations (should I be lucky enough to get there).

And, it sounds like a nice, comfortable life. Very happy for you.

My MIL is 87, still in good health, but doesn't do what she once did.

I look at her, and I listen to you, and I KNOW she would have a better time in an independent living environment. But, no not gonna happen.

Anyway, I want you to know your posts have DW and I actively considering a CCRC, or something similar, after we hit the 70's.

No crystal ball here, at age 52. Statistically, my mom should have lived to 88, and my dad 83. Mom passed this year at 81.5, and dad's still alive at 81! Hoping I'll still be able to swim, dive (maybe from a boat by then), and walk, and still have my memory and my wife!

I am hoping to be back in Peru for my final years, but it is looking more likely I will die in the USA. As long as I am surrounded by family and someone still cooks my favorite Peruvian cuisine, it really does not matter!

+1

And if I can still drive my car to my 2nd home which is only 2.5 hours away, it's a big plus.

I doubt if I care for much at that age. Just not being in pain would be a blessing. :)

"You know you are old when everything hurts. What does not hurt does not work". -- Anon.

Last edited:
I don't know what to "expect." But when I envision the world of 20 years from now (like the 1964 World's Fair) I am forecasting being pretty much the same as now with the following possible modifications:

Slower and doing few push-ups everyday. That kind of thing

Probably living in some kind of age-restricted apartment complex instead of a house because while I actually enjoy shoveling snow and mowing the lawn now I probably won't at some point and.... just to keep things as simple as possible in the event of a sudden segue.

Living with (or hopefully not living with) one or more manageable medical conditions. Things that might be burdensome or even scary to a younger person but at 80 not so much. High BP, late onset Type II diabetes (nothing portends that now but ya never know), maybe macular degeneration, early stages of Parkinsons. Those kinds of things. Those would be other reasons to move into an apartment.

I "expect" pretty much everything else to be the same. Reading, TV (or whatever replaces it by then) computer, go for a walks / stationary bike.

I'll be in our home in Maine.

I'll be walking the beach every day. Hopefully still kayaking and hiking on a regular basis. Getting together with friends and family regularly. We'll be eating, drinking, laughing.

I'll be happy.

Last edited:
I hope I will age well, have a body as flexible and fit like my belly dancing teacher. Maybe I will not eat as much protein as now, maybe becoming vegetarian or fruitarian. I hope I can still garden and enjoy it. But probably won’t be driving much except locally, less than 50 Miles.

Eighty is 16 years away. Hopefully I will still be able to play golf and feel well enough to have a dog to walk daily. There are a couple of men who play at my club that are 80+ and still play a decent game. Probably won't have my coastal condo.....but you never know. Bottom line, hopefully not too many changes but not assuming anything.

My mom’s life didn’t change much until she got cancer at 84 for the second time. Up to then she flew for travel, ate out a lot, did all her activities, etc. For the next 6 years after that she battled cancer a few more times which took its toll. She lived alone in her apartment until a week before she died. I envision the same minus the cancer part I hope.

Mainly, I hope to be above ground. With that taken care of, next desideratum is that I be in bed with a woman, and that I am able to do more than just sleep while she is visiting.

This pretty well covers what matters.

Ha

I’m just hoping that 80 will be the new 60 by the time I get there.

Eighty is 16 years away. Hopefully I will still be able to play golf and feel well enough to have a dog to walk daily. There are a couple of men who play at my club that are 80+ and still play a decent game. Probably won't have my coastal condo.....but you never know. Bottom line, hopefully not too many changes but not assuming anything.

A buddy and I played golf a few weeks ago, the day before our annual golf outing. Had a 3rd paired up with us. 80 years old. Fun, fast (too fast actually) and a pretty good golfer. If I have that much energy and ability at that age, I would be one happy camper. Actually, if I could play that well NOW I would be a happy camper.

Stay active.

Father & father-in-law are both near 80, both retired in their early 50s.

The one who stayed physically active is still able to get around just fine.

The other is essentially confined to his home, not able to walk up stairs, and requires physical therapy just to stay mobile.

About 4 1/2 years until 80. If health holds, there shouldn't be much change. Instead of jogging I walk 4.2 miles most days and lift light weights 2 days each week. I read, internet, nap, travel, nothing especially spectacular. No major health issues for DW or me. Life is good.

I was coming out of the gym last week wearing a Marine Corps t-shirt given to me by one of my gym buddies (to whom I gave a Navy t-shirt since we always rag on each other about such things). An old guy in the driver's seat of an SUV yelled, "Semper FI, buddy." I walked over to talk to him. He's 86 (got out of the Marines in '54, I think) and we had a nice chat until his wife came out of the hair dresser - he was obviously picking her up. He does Pilates 2x a week, walks a lot and is obviously still driving. He seemed sharp mentally and he even told me that, at 73, I'm just a kid. I sure hope I'm more or less like him if I live that long - still married to my wife, still exercising, still driving (although I obviously don't know what issues he might be dealing with).

My father lived until 86 and my mother until 92. I've thought a lot about what they dealt with as they neared the end and, in the absence of any better information, have always assumed I'd be dealing with many of the same issues as I age. I like to think I might split the difference on their longevities and hang on until 89 but obviously that's largely beyond my control.

Thanks to imoldernu for a thoughtful and provocative OP.

I'm six years short of 80, and still recall while flying a helicopter in Vietnam asking God to please let me live to 50, as everyone that I knew that was over 50 were old, and gray, and looked just worn-out. It seems the next thing I know I'm fifty years old. At 72 I'm restoring two vintage VW's, bush-hogging for my neighbors, and my model airplane club, plus a dozen or so other projects, that I'm now pretty sure I will never get to all of them. I can see (and feel) symptoms of aging, such as loss of strength, hand-and-eye coordination, etc., but make do with what I have, and pretty much do what I want, when I want.

My best friend (my wife) and I are taking a river cruise in May (Bucharest to Budapest) but flying business class because last years flight to Egypt was just too hard on our 'old' bodies being crammed into coach. At 70 I would have never considered paying $3000 extra for a seat to sleep on. but at age 72 my priorities.....they are a changing

Bottom line- I'm taking it one day at a time and trying to get the most out of what I/we have left. For you young farts in your fifties or sixties take a tape measure and extend it to your age. Then compare what you have already experienced to what is left to age 80, 82, 86 or whatever. Enjoy what is left while you can, you will never get a second chance.

Holy Mackerel! 80 is in sight! Well, maybe a bit away yet!

I turn 75 in two weeks and DW is 73 by a month.

Right after my October birthday, I take my semi-annual driving trip back to Connecticut to visit friends and family before the snow flies. Well, there are less and less of both anymore back there.:( DW won't go because she is suffering with COPD and is on oxygen all the time and it's a royal pain to travel in a car with all the gear she needs on a constant basis. Plus, that kind of trip is not the least bit enjoyable for her given her handicap.

I'll do the drive alone again and stop along the way to see a couple of friends on the route. The last two or three east coast visits I did solo also. I must be pretty good at entertaining myself on these long road trips!:D

I hadn't really thought much about looking towards 80. Maybe I have been too busy being early 70's (which are the NEW early 60's):LOL:

From an activity perspective, i don't expect to see much change in me over the next 5+ years unless something maor hits me from a health perspective. Fortunately, I have had all good blood test numbers and have a pending issue with a possible enlarged prostate, which will be dealt with in a few years. I also have detected an abnormal heartbeat at times and currently seeing a Doc about getting that resolved (I have a thread on this at the moment). Other than those two issues, I am as active as ever, although I gave up golf when my short game went south.

Besides still walking (exercise) with my 70 year old friends a few times a week, I still continue to fix up old cars bought cheap, keep them for a while, and sell them at a loss. :LOL: Yes, I am still crawling around on the garage floor dropping suspensions and doing brake jobs, etc. It's therapy for me, I guess. Plus, I have all these tools! My neighbors must think I am nuts. However, most of them are housebound or pushing walkers up and down the street. Seriously!

DW, on the other hand, has had a few tough years with chronic COPD, severe osteoporosis, and other things. Put all that together, and she is in bad physical condition, but we are managing with me doing all of the "heavy lifting" tasks around the house.

I envy couples that age well together and have the ability to do things as a couple over their time here. That's not happening for us, and consequently, we have a limited social life outside of family.

As far as where we will be living when the bell rings on 80, we have no plans to leave our 55+ community and our paid for 2,000 square foot house. The house is 20 years old and is set up for older people with wide doorways, etc, etc. Now, all this could change if one of us gets to the point where an assisted living situation comes up, but we will face that when the time comes.

We are 59/58 now. We definitely are going for more demanding travel destinations now with pretty busy days, some hiking, and lots of photography. We do have to ease up a little compared to 10 years ago. The pace will definitely drop going forward.

We live in a colonial now with the MBR upstairs. DW keeps saying that she sees us in a ranch later on. I occasionally think that we could install one of those stairway lifts instead. We'll see.

At 80 my mother was still active with many of her hobbies, still physically active walking and hiking, and volunteering as a math tutor at local schools and churches. She had cut down on "tourist" travel but was still traveling with one of my sisters to family events. She did not drive (never got her U.S. drivers license) but was comfortable taking public transportation by herself.

If I am in that same condition at that age, I will be very happy.

Back
Top Bottom