Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prince William and Kate Middleton Wedding
Old 11-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Prince William and Kate Middleton Wedding

This is something to look forward to! A royal wedding. Since I was born in England and lived there as a child, I'm particularly interested in this.

Ha, check out Kate's dimples...is she cute or what?

Here's a video of them talking about the proposal.

What a welcome relief from the dreary news these days.

BBC News - Prince William on his proposal to Kate Middleton
__________________

__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: France
Posts: 1,195
Meh. Rich guy with horrible but secure job from which he can never be fired or retire from, gets to marry reasonably cute chick whom he's been, erm, dating for 8 years or so anyway. (Can you tell it wasn't a great day at work?)
__________________

__________________
Age 56, retired July 1, 2012; DW is 60 and working for 2 more years. Current portfolio is 2000K split 50 stocks/20 bonds/30 cash. Renting house, no debts.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
73ss454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LaLa Land
Posts: 4,378
I wonder if this will be a Royal Wedding or another Royal Scandal. I'd still love to know, as a Royal what is their purpose in life?
__________________
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA suburbs
Posts: 1,769
I think they are a very sweet couple. Kate is really stunning, and you can see they are very much in love. I think they will make a go of it as a happily married couple. If I were William, though, I would not have presumed that Kate would want the "Princess Diana" ring (I think he should have asked her beforehand). I am sure he loved his mother very much and I think it is touching that he wanted to entwine her memory with his future marriage but still, I look at that ring and it brings back all the horrors of the Chuck and Di and Camilla years. I was very impressed by their poise and rapport and find them very likable.
I am kinda entranced by the royals. The pageantry I guess, the thousands of years of history, the castles, the mystique of a life so far removed from our hum-drum lives. That is the appeal for me.
I think the royals earn their way in Great Britain and are a big tourist draw. I believe they do a lot of charity work. Anyway, this stuff appeals more to women than to men. I will watch the wedding even if I have to take off a day from work next year. I remember timing the Chuck-Di wedding with having my wisdom teeth pulled earlier in the day so I had the time off from work back in 1981.
__________________
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,017
Don't do it, Kate! Run, while you can!
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,032
They sure make a good-looking couple. I wish them much happiness.

I am quite fond of constitutional monarchies in general.
__________________
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Alan?
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I wonder if this will be a Royal Wedding or another Royal Scandal. I'd still love to know, as a Royal what is their purpose in life?
Nice segue...

__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,030
I think they are a real cute couple and a lot more realistic than Charles & Diana . He hardly knew her when they married . Maybe that is why it's taken William so long . I liked Diana but she had the world's ugliest wedding dress .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Alan?
Yes?

We'll be in England next year when the wedding happens (we are going over for about 6 months). When Diana and Charles were married we did our best to avoid all the hoopla and went for a hike from our house to the summit of Roseberry Topping. When we got there we found a bunch of other hikers with radios and bottles of booze, so we failed to escape after all. Interestingly, we hope to be renting a place in the exact same town as we were in 1981 when C & D were married.

As for the Royal Family per se, I am a big supporter, I just don't follow all their daily activities.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DblDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Meh. Rich guy with horrible but secure job from which he can never be fired or retire from, gets to marry reasonably cute chick whom he's been, erm, dating for 8 years or so anyway. (Can you tell it wasn't a great day at work?)
Uhm... none of us get to choose our parents. His day job is as a Sea King SARF pilot. Those guys/gals are some of the worlds best Air Sea Rescue crews. Best wishes for their wedding.

DD
__________________
At 54% of FIRE target
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I think they are a very sweet couple. Kate is really stunning, and you can see they are very much in love. I think they will make a go of it as a happily married couple. If I were William, though, I would not have presumed that Kate would want the "Princess Diana" ring (I think he should have asked her beforehand). I am sure he loved his mother very much and I think it is touching that he wanted to entwine her memory with his future marriage but still, I look at that ring and it brings back all the horrors of the Chuck and Di and Camilla years. I was very impressed by their poise and rapport and find them very likable.
I am kinda entranced by the royals. The pageantry I guess, the thousands of years of history, the castles, the mystique of a life so far removed from our hum-drum lives. That is the appeal for me.
I think the royals earn their way in Great Britain and are a big tourist draw. I believe they do a lot of charity work. Anyway, this stuff appeals more to women than to men. I will watch the wedding even if I have to take off a day from work next year. I remember timing the Chuck-Di wedding with having my wisdom teeth pulled earlier in the day so I had the time off from work back in 1981.
Thousands of years ago, the romans were running things .
__________________
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes?

We'll be in England next year when the wedding happens (we are going over for about 6 months). When Diana and Charles were married we did our best to avoid all the hoopla and went for a hike from our house to the summit of Roseberry Topping. When we got there we found a bunch of other hikers with radios and bottles of booze, so we failed to escape after all. Interestingly, we hope to be renting a place in the exact same town as we were in 1981 when C & D were married.

As for the Royal Family per se, I am a big supporter, I just don't follow all their daily activities.
Just wanted your opinion seeing you're our offical Englishman

For you (everyone please rise):

__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,017
What QE2 means to me......


__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
What QE2 means to me......
...and to me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qe2.jpg (369.7 KB, 0 views)
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Just wanted your opinion seeing you're our offical Englishman

For you (everyone please rise):

Thank you, kind lady
__________________

__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
William Sharpe questions 4% WR... LARS FIRE and Money 43 04-30-2010 09:59 AM
From Prince(ss) to Pauper RonBoyd FIRE and Money 87 02-12-2009 03:03 PM
Prince Harry stays home FinallyRetired Other topics 4 05-16-2007 06:11 PM
What's Up with Prince Charles? Eagle43 Other topics 14 02-14-2005 08:24 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.