Publisher puts new limits on library e-books

I hope we'll find a way to keep publishers (not just artists) in the business. With music there was a lot of hope that "flat" distribution would allow unknown artists to sell directly to the public, retain artistic control, and cut out the middleman. The public would find the gems and they'd be rewarded. Some of that has happened, but I'm not sure that overall the situation is better today than in the days of vinyl. Bringing down the "barriers to entry" (with desktop studios and instant distribution) has not been an unalloyed blessing. As a consumer, it's just too much trouble to sort through the mountain of chaff to find something I might enjoy. Record companies did a pretty good job of spotting talent and putting it into easily searched "bins." The situation with literature will be even more of a headache for consumers: It's easy to sample 20 seconds of a song and see if I like it, but I sure don't want to invest 30 minutes reading a self-published book to figure out if an author has talent. I'd be just as happy to let editors and publishers retain that traditional headache.

Excellent point! They helped increase the signal to noise ratio and therefore allowed us to better use our time - now one might argue they have their built in biases for what a signal is, however, avant-garde things did break through over time. However, the classics of any genre are considered classic because they have weathered the test of time.

Generally, this is the classic centralization versus de-centralization conundrum - there are benefits to both, it's just where one puts the balance line.

Also, you seem to think that ebook lending is not something that a library will do. I'm not sure that is true. Also, you are not considering research libraries.
But why would you go to the library to borrow an ebook -- when you can do it from home? It would only make sense for those who cannot afford a computer.

Research is much easier on the Internet than with hardcopy books.

Even us old dudes who "love the feel and smell of books" are switching to ebook readers. How many 20-somethings will want a real book instead of a Kindle version?

I don't want to see libraries evaporate, but I see no other way. When new books are no longer printed, libraries will be places for only old books.

Libraries may adapt, and be, for example, social gathering places, but at some point they could no longer be call "libraries."

I had this same conversation 10 years ago about digital cameras.

Kevin Kelly is predicting eBooks will drop to $.99 each on average in 5 years. If that is the case I will start buying them and not worry about the library.
I don't see it that way. As far as I can tell, the new releases are all demanding full retail price for the eBook version - no break whatsoever. Amazon used to give you a $1 or $2 break on an ebook version versus paperback - but that has pretty much disappeared except for things that were already available in ebook format. iTunes bookstore matches the Amazon Kindle pricing. It's very frustrating. But I think that the book publishers have decided that us folks buying the iPads, etc., can afford to cough up top dollar for the ebook version and they are going to hold out as long as they can. I'm not sure what is going to break that status quo.

Audrey

Interesting discussion - I for one hope that the paper version of books stays around for awhile. I have had wonderful reads from the older books that were sitting on the shelves (Bony the half-Aboriginal, half European detective in Australia, Nero Wolfe, reading the older Hillerman novels, the older Pd James books, the classics). In fact, it can be hard to find them now - very sad.

I believe that this is a good use of my tax dollars currently - the library. I guess we'll see in the future.
Well - a bunch of these "older" books are available now as ebooks. So it may mean the revival of older books. It certainly makes them more accessible without hunting for a used copy, although the latter is a piece of cake nowadays.

Doesn't mean you will get any price break though. These days it's still way cheaper to find a used paperback copy.

Amazing - I looked up the ebook price for Hemmingway's classic hit "The Sun Also Rises" published in 1926 and I was absolutely floored to find the eBook edition price to be set at $11.99. This is close to new release hardback copies ($12.99) and higher than the paperback edition. You can get a good used paperback copy including shipping for $3.95.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom