Quantity pricing math - what am I missing?

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I was in Target and decided to get some silly string for my next visit with the grandkids. The price for one can is $1.99, and they have a 3 can pack for $6.50. Same can, same size, same brand, same product, same everything. Why on earth would someone by the 3-pack? Are people that math challenged?

Attachments

• Silly String.jpg
    Silly String.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 74
Are people that math challenged?

Evidently, and sadly, yes. Or Target wouldn't take up shelf space on the 3-pack.

I showed the above post to DW, who just sighed and rolled her eyes.

Last edited:
Yes. Yes they are.
I've noticed that the extra large bottles of laundry detergent cost more per oz. than smaller ones. 3 packs of Kleenex were more than 3 single packs, etc. etc

The most annoying is cat food. But I think they do that deliberately. I don't think it's a math error. I think they realize that buying 24 cans of cat food in a box is worth significantly more than buying 24 cans of cat food individually.

I see this sort of pricing strategy frequently. I'm replacing the plumbing fixtures in the master bath and priced a Moen towel bar on Amazon yesterday. Price for one: $17.32 Price for a three pack: $76.41

The coffee we buy at Walmart is priced so that you pay more per ounce if you purchase the economy-sized package.

There is always a price to be paid for being math challenged and/or inattentive. I have learned the hard way that the price tag immediately below the item on the shelf may not be the price for that item but for something a few feet in either direction. (a particular problem at Cabelas) The only way to be sure is to check the UPC numbers on the product with the one on the shelf.

I was in Target and decided to get some silly string for my next visit with the grandkids. The price for one can is $1.99, and they have a 3 can pack for $6.50. Same can, same size, same brand, same product, same everything. Why on earth would someone by the 3-pack? Are people that math challenged?

yes! This is not unusual anymore. Same goes for thinking that the largest size of any particular item is always the best deal. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. I bet it is done on purpose

Being math challenged is a horrible affliction. Please show some compassion. These same folks are compelled to buy lottery tickets, extended warranties and high priced mutual funds. :ROFLMAO:

Being math challenged is a horrible affliction. Please show some compassion. These same folks are compelled to buy lottery tickets, extended warranties and high priced mutual funds. :ROFLMAO:

You forgot to add variable annuities and certain life insurance products.

Buying something from behind the pharmacy counter yesterday and couldn't read the label from that far so when the 30 or so year old pharm assistant (a fairly well trained job at this chain. Not a stupid person.) ask d do I want the 24 or 72 pills I asked what the unit price was. She didn't know. I said it's the number in the orange field of the price label. She said she never noticed that and was unsure what unit pricing was.
We all have our weak spots.

I see this from time to time. I have to think and examine things just to make sure its the same size etc. Id like to think I usually make the right call and get the better deal. Im sure there were times when I got the 3 pack for $6.50 instead of the 3 for $5.97 thinking i scored a deal:D

All of our grocery stores here have a "price per 100mg or per 100 ml" (about 3.5 ounces) for most products, so it's relatively simple to determine which size is the better price. But, even with that there are instances when the larger or economy size is more expensive.

The extra $0.50 is the price busy people pay when they know they need "a lot" of silly string and grab however many bulk packs they need for whatever silly string emergency they're running off to.

I've seen this pricing discrepancy often enough to know it's not entirely an accident. But sometimes it is. The store might be competing on price on a 1-count item but not on the bulk pack. I see that at the grocery store a lot where a dozen eggs might be $0.69 but the 18 count isn't reduced so it's still $1.79 (or the 30 count for $2.65). Or 8 oz cheese block for $1.49 while the 16 oz block of cheese is $3.99 not on sale.

Marketing genius! They probably sell twice as many total cans as people who would have only bought 1 now take 2 or 3 and claim "victory" over the pricing faux pas.

The store might be competing on price on a 1-count item but not on the bulk pack. I see that at the grocery store a lot where a dozen eggs might be $0.69 but the 18 count isn't reduced so it's still $1.79 (or the 30 count for $2.65). Or 8 oz cheese block for $1.49 while the 16 oz block of cheese is $3.99 not on sale.

This is definitely a factor. Some price comparisons are done automatically (promotions run elsewhere), and you have some companies doing regular comparisons on a 'standardized basket'.

So you price match the package size that goes in the standard basket during benchmark season, and viola ... you are one of the cheapest retailers around.

One thing I did notice though in stores here is that most of the time the retailer did some math for you: apart from the total price you also get a price per kilo/liter (in small print). Super convenient but frankly I don't get it why they do it.

The good news is your local Target prices are low, online it's $3.50 ea or a 3-pack is $7.50. The bad news is your local Target management must think their customers aren't very smart.

https://www.target.com/bp/Silly String

It's not often, but I've seen that occasionally as well. Always good to check unit pricing as everyone here knows.

In Walmart the other day looking at cereal. Great Value Brand. The larger box was more expense per oz. than the smaller box. I had heard that this is true of other brands as well from time to time with cereals.

The most annoying is cat food. But I think they do that deliberately. I don't think it's a math error. I think they realize that buying 24 cans of cat food in a box is worth significantly more than buying 24 cans of cat food individually.

I am surprised that yours is more for the case.... at least here the price is the same... maybe a cent per can cheaper at times...

We just do not buy the case as our cats have decided they do not want to eat chicken of any kind :facepalm:... chicken with liver, chicken with fish, chicken with gravy, ANYTHING with chicken!!! Well, the outside cat gets the benefit of their refusal and they do not get a second wet meal....

And it is not me who buys it... for some reason DW forgets about this when she buys....

All of our grocery stores here have a "price per 100mg or per 100 ml" (about 3.5 ounces) for most products, so it's relatively simple to determine which size is the better price. But, even with that there are instances when the larger or economy size is more expensive.

Out store has that at times..... but some times it is 'each'.... now, with the string it is easy, but with different sized containers it is not...

BTW, I keep challenging my daughter when we are at stores to figure this out... and she IS challenged when it comes to this... and she is a straight A student :facepalm:.... I am very surprised how bad she is doing math in her head... and I am talking simple division and multiplication.... heck, sometimes just add and subtract.... I think the biggest problem is that she is being lazy.... if you want 3 you buy the 3 pack....

One of the many reasons I treat shopping as a form of mild torture.

The engineer/optimizer in me wants to get the best deal, the kid who was for years dragged from store to store with his 3 sisters and mom wants to leave....like NOW!

Not only is the $6.50 for 3 / $2 each not a mistake, neither is it that the unit price of the large one is $ per pint, and the small one is $ per ounce. And oh, yeah, they have odd sizes (20 ounces, instead of 16, 2.6 pints instead of 3, etc). Prices are often not "easy numbers" (near whole or half dollars), so good luck figuring out any of that without a calculator.

That's why I leave the shopping to DW. She doesn't optimize as I would, but at least I'm not being tortured.

I could swear that once at a gas station, the low price was on the mid grade, not the lowest octane grade. I did a double take, and filled up with mid grade.

I wonder how many people saw the lowest price on the big sign, assumed it was the low octane, and just grabbed the low octane nozzle? It would be the natural thing to do. This was before I had a camera phone, or I would have snapped a picture.

-ERD50

I just noticed that the price sticker had two different descriptions....

One was Streamers and the other Party String.... so, are you sure there was not any difference in color or how they came out the can?

I just noticed that the price sticker had two different descriptions....

One was Streamers and the other Party String.... so, are you sure there was not any difference in color or how they came out the can?
Exact same can in each. Look at the second line in each price display. One reads Silly String 3 oz, the other Silly String 3 pack.

+1 It's law here in Mass. All items in a grocery/pharmacy etc have to have the per unit price next to the actual price.

As an aside, 50 years ago I worked summers at the A&P. They had a gallon of A&P bleach for 33 cents and a half gallon for 39 cents. I was told that years earlier they had had a special sale on the gallon jugs (original price was 45 cents) but somehow forgot to change it back and so for years the price was 6 cents less for twice as much.

Back
Top Bottom