Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

@Totoro, huh, interesting. I used to work for a company that made SATA SSDs, and they didn't preformat them, which made sense, so I *assumed* (yeah, whoops...) that everyone else did similarly.

I am surprised they (WD and Seagate) do this, as they won't know what file system the end user actually wants and so they have to manage the inventory headaches of having NTFS and HFS drives for people to buy. But it appears by your links that they do, so...I was wrong.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
@Totoro, huh, interesting. I used to work for a company that made SATA SSDs, and they didn't preformat them, which made sense, so I *assumed* (yeah, whoops...) that everyone else did similarly.

I am surprised they (WD and Seagate) do this, as they won't know what file system the end user actually wants and so they have to manage the inventory headaches of having NTFS and HFS drives for people to buy. But it appears by your links that they do, so...I was wrong.
Actually Seagate at least just comes preformated in NTFS with a single partition and an MBR style partition table. Windows will change that to a GPT partition table (to allow one to have multiple partitions and use all of a 3+ gb drive (the MBR is limited to 2.2 if try multiple partitions but seagate does some magic to get 1 3 gb partition).
If on a mac you may need to reformat (they give you instructions).

Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 AM   #23

Systems near the wall seem to accumulate more dust. My later Dell is on the floor but in the middle of room. That location also lends itself to more frequent cleaning, by simply opening the case and blowing out. I do this with hose of vacuum nearby. Keep a distance to minimize possibility of static.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been running smoothly for a couple of days. Amazing that reseating a couple of memory cards could make such a difference - or an equally amazing coincidence that the PC just happened to start working again at that particular time. Does anybody recommend using something like wd40 to get a good connection on the cards?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Been running smoothly for a couple of days. Amazing that reseating a couple of memory cards could make such a difference - or an equally amazing coincidence that the PC just happened to start working again at that particular time. Does anybody recommend using something like wd40 to get a good connection on the cards?
Glad your PC is running smoothly again. I've never heard about adding something to get a better connection. Though, if inside the case is dusty, a good dust cleaning may help not only with a better connection but to prevent heat build up.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally, I'd go about it a bit differently if I had to replace the drive. It's nice that there are options.

- Attach new drive to PC using a SATA to USB adapter.
- Boot on bootable LINUX CD
- Format new drive
- Copy the entire existing drive to the new drive using dd command.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Systems near the wall seem to accumulate more dust. My later Dell is on the floor but in the middle of room. That location also lends itself to more frequent cleaning, by simply opening the case and blowing out. I do this with hose of vacuum nearby. Keep a distance to minimize possibility of static.
Every couple of years I take my desktop machines (which sit on the floor) outside, take the cover off, and hit it with the leaf blower. Looks brand-new again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Radio Shack (remember them), used to sell something called "TV Tuner Cleaner" (now called "control contact cleaner"), that I used for this kind of thing. I wouldn't use WD40...too thick. This other stuff seems to just evaporate (mostly).https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1490/5112/products/06400148_00_2048x2048_crop_center.progressive.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair View Post
Try spinrite (by GRC) to rescue failing HDD. Works like a champ on dead and near-dead drives.
I'll second the motion on this suggestion if it was the drive after all. You can use it as preventive maintenance too, since it reads every byte on the drive, the SMART system on the drive, sensing weak sectors, will move your data into other places and mark the weak sectors as not to be used. Outwardly "nothing happened", but it increases reliability.