Question for Americans

"Yanks" isn't offensive, you are called a "yank" if you wander south of the Mason-Dixon line...........

Growing up in Ireland, our American relatives (mostly from New England) were affectionately referred to as "the Yanks". When they planned a visit, people would ask when the Yanks were coming.

Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Over time, however, and in the United States, the term has since reverted to its 18th century geographic indication of New England[1], except when the speaker is from the South. Outside the United States, Yank or Yankee is one of the lesser derogatory slang terms for any American, whether from New England or not."

Outside the United States, Yank or Yankee is one of the lesser derogatory slang terms for any American,

Yeah - it is not a derogatory term at all. I could tell you far more derogatory terms but I won't. They are very rude. Even when they are spoken though, it is only in a mildly derogatory sense as Aussies would use with one another.

They are also call thongs in mainland US.
I only know of one person that calls them thongs. For everyone else, they're flip flops. Of course, flip flops aren't sandals.

"Yanks" isn't offensive, you are called a "yank" if you wander south of the Mason-Dixon line...........

I guess it depends who you are. "Yankee" and "yank" generally come across as rather derogatory.

As is probably expected, different parts of the United States use different words or use the same words differently. Despite this, usages are mainly standardized.

With respect to "drug store/drugstore"/"pharmacy". For me, the establishment expressed by these terms is identical [some carry principally drugs, some principally carry other products, but that's a difference between the stores, not the terminology]. Usage might be a bit different depending on the region. Within larger stores (such as Wal-marts, grocery stores, etc.), there will be a mini sub-store called a "pharmacy". I've never seen one of these store-within-a-stores called "drug store".

At these stores-within-a-store stores, you generally have to pay for drugs (services, or anything else located behind counters, such as expensive goods) at the pharmacy section. This is also true of when insurance is involved. You can find all sorts of things in stand-alone pharmacies, including alcohol in states that allow it. Chain pharmacies vary by area. Believe it or not, there are still small, local pharmacies.

I only know of one person that calls them thongs. For everyone else, they're flip flops. Of course, flip flops aren't sandals.

That's because if you wore a thongs on your feet people would look at you funny. Not to mention they don't make very good foot wear. Other than being rather sexy I don't see how they make very effective underwear either.>:D

When I was growing up in Hawaii, in the mid-20th Century, the teens I knew called them "zori's". If you called them anything else, the other teens would tease you and say you sounded like a coast haole. :2funny: I guess our parents called them flip-flops or slippers.

Oh, and my father called them "go-aheads", but that was just him - - I don't think anybody else called them that.

Last edited:
I saw that his widow said that they watch a video of Steve every morning. Gosh! Is that brainwashing the kids or what?
I was about the age of Steve Irwin's son when my dad died in an accident. I have some pictures of him and people tell me how much I look like him. Truth is, I have no memory of him at all. I would love to have a video of my dad, actually enough of them to get an idea of who my dad was...his personality...how he related to me, etc. Mom was very young when Dad died. As I got older and started asking questions about Dad, Mom would tell me he was in Heaven, then the tears always strated. I stopped asking questions. What a gift the Irwin children have with his videos, especially the ones where the Irwins toured the US National Parks with their children. I know this is looking at the coin from the other side, but I think his videos have great value for the children.

Who knows whether Bendi, Jungle Girl will continue, but it probably seems rather normal to Bendi. I hope Terri always has the best interest of the children in mind and wish the best to all of them.

Oh, and my father called them "go-aheads", but that was just him - - I don't think anybody else called them that.

I use several different terms for open-toed, flip-floppish sandal shoes. And to me, they're all different.

When I was growing up in Hawaii, in the mid-20th Century, the teens I knew called them "zori's". If you called them anything else, the other teens would tease you and say you sounded like a coast haole. :2funny: I guess our parents called them flip-flops or slippers.

I use several different terms for open-toed, flip-floppish sandal shoes. And to me, they're all different.

LOL!!! Now you've got me totally mixed up. :p I'll take your word on it!

Put me down for zori too. That's what my family called them.

Aussies have worn literally millions of the plain rubber ones.

Mine are a bit more patriotic....

20080101-mmienp762adkbmfasi2a87pk3x.jpg

:D:D:D

That's because if you wore a thongs on your feet people would look at you funny. Not to mention they don't make very good foot wear. Other than being rather sexy I don't see how they make very effective underwear either.>:D

My attitude to (underwear) thongs: why bother?

Looks like this thread could be heading for a flameout...

Only if people are so on edge that they take life too seriously.... :)

We all have to understand that Aussies and Yanks are different in so many ways.

For instance, today I shall spend all day watching day two of the five day cricket test match between Australia and India. How many Yanks will have the patience to spend five days watching a single sporting event.

...and this is the second of five tests this summer. (A test match is the big test of cricketing prowess between countries. Other shorter one-day forms of the game exist where the players wear colored uniforms etc but in a test match, certain things are sacred - like the players all wear white shirts and long pants - just like tennis players used to do a century ago. :D )

Aussies are the best cricket players in the world and have won the last fifteen test matches against other countries in a row. We simply love to beat the Poms. The West Indians used to be the world's best and they were awesome but then they became corrupted by American basketball and not so many kinds there want to play cricket now.

Vive la difference between us, I say. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom