Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #41

We found out the hard way that references can be rigged. We hired a contractor to build our granny flat and asked for previous clients. We got very cherry picked results.
He'd also sold us on his relevant (and used pictures) of two similar projects. He said they'd sold since the work was done so it wasn't the same owner... turns out he didn't want us talking to them (which we ended up doing, after our project went south and we were looking at suing.)

I learned my lesson. Sure - get references, check online reviews, etc... but also check the state licensing to see if there are any dings on their license, check court records to see if they've been sued (or filed suit), etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We found out the hard way that references can be rigged. We hired a contractor to build our granny flat and asked for previous clients. We got very cherry picked results..............
I had something similar happen to me about 25 years ago. References loved the guy and proudly showed me his work. The contractor must have had a major blowout in his life because he became extremely unreliable and took forever to complete even a portion of the job. I fired him once it hit a transition point and finished it myself.

I worry about something similar happening with a real estate agent.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Calling references

I called a half dozen of the references that I received from Realtor #3. Interestingly, every one was more than glad to talk with me and a couple even called back when I was only able to leave a message.

The good news is that they were all enthusiastically positive. I was provided three full sheets of names and I randomly picked names, so if he cherry picked all of these names, I'd be surprised.

Unfortunately, Realtor #1, my initial first choice, seems to have decided to withdraw, leaving me with, "read the anonymous comments on my website, I will not share real customer contact information".

I appreciate the comments, feedback and hand holding thus far.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you are putting too much weight on the feedback from Realtor 1.

He's 70 years old with a long career and might be thinking you are going to be high maintenance. I'm guessing he can pick and choose what he wants to do..number 3 is all about being number one and number 1 might just be about getting the best results with his own way of doing things. I wouldn't rule him out or say that he "withdrew" because he doesn't give contact numbers for clients.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #45

I'd definitely go with number 3. He's younger, which is a plus, and he's already the top seller. The older guy is not as motivated. Would you be, at 70 versus 50?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I think you are putting too much weight on the feedback from Realtor 1.

He's 70 years old with a long career and might be thinking you are going to be high maintenance. I'm guessing he can pick and choose what he wants to do..number 3 is all about being number one and number 1 might just be about getting the best results with his own way of doing things. I wouldn't rule him out or say that he "withdrew" because he doesn't give contact numbers for clients.
I think that you are right. Agent #3 confided that Agent #1 had asked him if he was interested in buying his business, so I suspect Agent #1 is picking and choosing in his later years.

I think that references are necessary for me to make a good decision and Agent #1 considers it to be an excessive demand. That's OK.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Update

So, I signed the listing papers with Agent #3 today. Sort of felt steamrolled on commission negotiations. Ended up at 6% or 5% if he represents buyer as well. I'm confident that he is a top notch agent, so we shall see if he delivers the sale at the selling price that he expresses confidence that I can get.