Join Early Retirement Today

Rationalizing $80 pajama bottoms...
Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rationalizing $80 pajama bottoms...

I periodically follow the blog: Get Rich Slowly by JD Roth (he posts in twitter and his blog). Over the past few months heís mentioned a new hot tub, his like of expensive luggage and touted his new $80 Alaskan Lounging Pajamas- rationalizing the expense by saying $20 ones wear out in a year. And went on to talk about how a good pair of work boots will saved money. I took him to task saying the last thing anyone on a mission to FI was more stuff. He said he had the funds and thrift for thrift sake is the path to misery. In response i offered this story:

You are sitting in waiting room of your doctorís office - heís helping you lose the weight that has you at risk of a heart attack. The nurse calls you in and when you walk in the examination room you see the doctor the doctor is eating a huge banana split. He sees the look on your face and says ďitís ok Iím thinĒ

My Panama bottoms cost $8 - $12 bought on sale Mrs. RayinPenn I have both light and winter weight. No one appreciates a splurge purchase more than me but $80 for pajama bottoms? Especially from a self proclaimed FIRE pundit.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

People wear pajamas?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #3

This guy was an early ER blogger who was kind of interesting when he started writing. He divorced his first wife, who mothered him throughout the marriage, and made a boatload of excuses about his "happiness" when he did. Everything is about him and he is never happy or satisfied with whatever he has. I lost all respect for the guy back then and he hasn't proven me wrong yet.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
People wear pajamas?
Maybe it's time for a new poll Pajama poll - Necessary, nice or needless?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
People wear pajamas?
Well, if you don't actually wear them, they'll last forever.

Back to the original question...

If you have that kind of dough to blow, you don't need advice on frugality. If not, you probably don't want to take it from someone with those spending habits.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Pajamas is (are?) not how we choose to blow dough (I almost typed "blough dough"). There are big T-shirts for those occasions when one must leap into action in a twinkling from under the covers.

Meanwhile, $80 buys a nice king-sized electric blanket from an overstock seller.
Rationalizing $80 dollar pajama bottoms...
Old 10-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #7

Rationalizing $80 dollar pajama bottoms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
This guy was an early ER blogger who was kind of interesting when he started writing. He divorced his first wife, who mothered him throughout the marriage, and made a boatload of excuses about his "happiness" when he did. Everything is about him and he is never happy or satisfied with whatever he has. I lost all respect for the guy back then and he hasn't proven me wrong yet.

I am afraid Iíve come to the same conclusion.. He lacks empathy which in my mind is disasterous for a public figure.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I periodically follow the blog: Get Rich Slowly by JD Roth (he posts in twitter and his blog). Over the past few months he’s mentioned a new hot tub, his like of expensive luggage and touted his new $80 Alaskan Lounging Pajamas- rationalizing the expense by saying $20 ones wear out in a year. And went on to talk about how a good pair of work boots will saved money. I took him to task saying the last thing anyone on a mission to FI was more stuff. He said he had the funds and thrift for thrift sake is the path to misery. In response i offered this story:

You are sitting in waiting room of your doctor’s office - he’s helping you lose the weight that has you at risk of a heart attack. The nurse calls you in and when you walk in the examination room you see the doctor the doctor is eating a huge banana split. He sees the look on your face and says “it’s ok I’m thin”

My Panama bottom cost $8 - $12 bought on sale. I have both light and winter weight. No one appreciates a splurge purchase more than me but $80 for pajama bottoms? Especially from a self proclaimed FIRE pundit.
We all manage to rationalize our splurges while looking down our noses at others.

"It's actually saving me money in the long run" is a handy excuse.
"We deserve it" is popular.
"It's okay, I can afford it" works well in most situations.
"YOLO" is popular too, along with the variants "Life is short" and "I had a friend who died at [insert a relatively young age here]".

Hopefully, most folks have an overall mindset that gets them to whatever individual goals they hold, and they aren't just kidding themselves. Sadly, I know a lot of folks in the latter category.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

No help here rationalizing $80 pajama bottoms. Recently received a 50%-off coupon for flannel shirts from Eddie Bauer. Even with half off, think Iíll continue buying them at Costco.

Canít/hate sleeping in pajamas; my idea of loungewear is cheap sweats from Walmart.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Don't you also wear pajama tops?[QUOTES=rayinpenn;2131861]I periodically follow the blog: Get Rich Slowly by JD Roth (he posts in twitter and his blog). Over the past few months heís mentioned a new hot tub, his like of expensive luggage and touted his new $80 Alaskan Lounging Pajamas- rationalizing the expense by saying $20 ones wear out in a year. And went on to talk about how a good pair of work boots will saved money. I took him to task saying the last thing anyone on a mission to FI was more stuff. He said he had the funds and thrift for thrift sake is the path to misery. In response i offered this story:

You are sitting in waiting room of your doctorís office - heís helping you lose the weight that has you at risk of a heart attack. The nurse calls you in and when you walk in the examination room you see the doctor the doctor is eating a huge banana split. He sees the look on your face and says ďitís ok Iím thinĒ

My Panama bottoms cost $8 - $12 bought on sale Mrs. RayinPenn I have both light and winter weight. No one appreciates a splurge purchase more than me but $80 for pajama bottoms? Especially from a self proclaimed FIRE pundit.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #11

I don't wear pj's, but I will spend $ on quality clothing and nicer things because, yes, they are going to last longer, and are then probably made from better fabrics.

I don't like polyester, polyblends, or other manmade fabrics, and definitely not for sleeping in.

There's LBYM, and then there's common sense "splurges". If it makes you happy, no need to judge.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #12

If you want them, buy them!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

No PJs for me.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #14

Quote:
People wear pajamas?
+1
Old 10-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
People wear pajamas?
+1
Just boxers. I know TMI.....
Old 10-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #16

I don't wear pajamas to bed. But I don't see this being any different than any other splurges we talk about here, from fine wines to high end whiskeys, eating out in a nice restaurant, etc. We all decide what items we want to splurge on and what items we want to be frugal with.

If I did wear pajamas I'm sure I'd find some for a lot less than $80, but I don't tend to spend that kind of money on casual clothing.
Ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
No PJs for me.

_B
So you wear a helmet to bed, and sleep with your rifle?

Hmm.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I periodically follow the blog: Get Rich Slowly by JD Roth (he posts in twitter and his blog). Over the past few months heís mentioned a new hot tub, his like of expensive luggage and touted his new $80 Alaskan Lounging Pajamas- rationalizing the expense by saying $20 ones wear out in a year. And went on to talk about how a good pair of work boots will saved money. I took him to task saying the last thing anyone on a mission to FI was more stuff. He said he had the funds and thrift for thrift sake is the path to misery. In response i offered this story:

My Panama bottoms cost $8 - $12 bought on sale Mrs. RayinPenn I have both light and winter weight. No one appreciates a splurge purchase more than me but $80 for pajama bottoms? Especially from a self proclaimed FIRE pundit.
i am very thin , yet have a L.A.D. ( nick-named the 'Widow-maker' ) , a few quick tests and i quickly change the doctors smile .

but $80 pajama bottoms they would would want to be silk , and it would be one very special future widow that would inspire me to splash out like that .

the upside of course would be , it would be unlikely i would be spending much after that ( my widow would have to look after her own finances )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #19

I get his point. I've bragged about this before, but in 1982 I bought a dress winter coat at Brooks Brothers- a classic camel hair style, for $400. I still have it. It's still beautiful. I haven't bought a dress winter coat since. The last time I bought a pair of dress shoes was before I retired, so over 4.5 years ago. I bought several pairs from the same manufacturer (Thierry Rabotin) over about 5 years. I don't buy dress shoes anymore. I'm still getting compliments on my Justin cowboy boots that I bought at a Berkshire meeting 12 years ago. My favorite cashmere sweater is over 15 years old and it cost me about $300, but how can a beige turtleneck go out of style?

Sure beats buying cheap stuff and then throwing it in the landfill and replacing it when it falls apart every year.

PS My "pajamas" are whatever I pull off the tip of my stack of freebie T-shirts.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
So you wear a helmet to bed, and sleep with your rifle?

Hmm.
shotgun and ammo belt

now maybe if pajamas came in Kevlar ( and chain mesh ) , it isn't Chicago , but Sin City is just down road , plenty of big spending criminals about

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote