Recomend Crock Pot (slow cooker)

One recommendation is to brown the meat and sautee things like onions and garlic before placing in the crockpot. I put in tomato and/or tomato sauce for 3/4 of the stuff I cook in the crock pot, and cheap red wine is almost alway a good addition.

I also love the smell of a crock pot simmering.

The five quick recipes that we use frequently:

Brown stew meat on a hot skillet, then put it in the crockpot with a can of Cream of Mushroom soup. Cook all day.

Same as above, but with pork chops.

Put whole chicken in, cook all day.

Brown pork roast in skillet, put in crockpot, cover with water, add onions, carrots, celery, salt, garlic, etc. Cook all day.

Brown boneless chicken pieces, put in crockpot, add spaghetti sauce, cook all day, serve on angel hair pasta.

Crock pot coq au vin.

Good because it has bacon and TWO kinds of booze in it.

6 slices bacon
1 chicken (2 1/2 to 3 lbs) cut into 8 pieces
1/4 C cognac
12 pearl onions, peeled (frozen OK)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup chicken stock
1 C dry red wine

Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to drain but reserve the bacon fat. Brown chicken pieces on all sides in reserved bacon grease. After chicken has browned, pour cognac over it and ignite with a match. Note: Use extreme caution when igniting alcohol -- stand back and always have proper fire safety precautions handy. Mover the skillet back and forth a few times until the flames die. [Note: you can also just turn the blower fan on and let that evacuate the alcohol vapors and not light it on fire at all, unless you're going for the drama]

Put onion, garlic and mushrooms in slow cooker. Add chicken, bacon and any leftover juices from the skillet. Mix remaining ingredients except wine and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Turn heat to HIGH and add wine. Cook for an additional hour. Serve over rice or potatoes.

img_589254_0_9b2a1300fdb61ecf9dd237fbdb262e89.jpg

Plus its cheap entertainment. My USPS delivery guy is whiny and I dont like him much, and I have a huge long steep driveway. I already changed out my mailbox so anything larger than a deck of cards has to be brought up to my door.

The bonus is that Ted sees him coming up the driveway and waits until he gets to the door to bounce off the glass next to it, barking ferociously.

OH, I get it. A kitchen appliance and entertainment too! Cheaper than a movie and you get to influence the plot!

-- Rita

Oh yes!!! :)

It was a game when he kept leaving notes in my mailbox complaining that trash cans and cars parked 10' away were "impeding his approach to the mailbox" (god help he has to step out of the truck to put mail in my box), but it was definitely on when I ordered the 65lb air compressor and he claimed I wasnt home (when I was) and left a tag in the box for me to come to the post office and pick it up.

So this month when I know he's busy...I've ordered lots and lots of stuff from amazon every day or two, with enough split shipments to make sure he has to hoof at least one box up the driveway and then around the equally steep walkway to the front door...darn near every day.

I got a small potholder yesterday, and Gabe will be getting a matchbox car tomorrow or the next day!

Another interesting approach that I've done in the oven but want to modify for the crock pot is a dry 'roast' chicken. Brown the chicken on all sides in a skillet, then putting it into the crock pot for about 7 hours on low...no liquids or other ingredients. Not for the crispy skin folks, but it produces an intensely flavored, very moist bird.

I make whole chicken in the crock pot alot. I separate the skin from the meat and put seasoning in between. We like rosemary/garlic or lemon pepper. Also sprinkle the spices in the cavity. Cut up an onion or two and lay it around the bottom of the crock pot. Set the raw chicken on top of onion and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Ummmmmm!

2fer

I just bought DW a Hamilton Beach 3 in one for X-mas. It has 3 stoneware pots of different sizes........:)

I think it was $39.00 or so.......:)

I trust this isn't the only gift for the DW. :cool:

Um...no...but she wanted this particular model. Hopefully she's NOT looking to slow-cook ME in it............:p

I always get her something she would never buy or ask for in a milion years........it helps to have a buddy that is a jewelry wholesaler..........he makes a LOT of money just selling to the jewelry stores, and then they add their markup.........:eek::eek:

FD...you better head to the jewelry store ASAP. ;)

Covered........got a diamond pendant on a 24K gold chain..........it doesn't sound like LBYM, but I put it in the Quicken expense item called: "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"..............

Actually the food thing is pretty simple. I learned early on that if you invite a woman over, pour her a glass of wine and let her sit and listen to good music while you light something in a pan on fire in an impressive manner, that frequently her pants fall off.

ROTFLMAO!! :D:D:D

Hello need some input looking to buy a new crock pot (slow cooker). All th ones I see are to big 4 to 8 quart. I am cooking for one and sometimes two. Looking for 2 quart and have the programmable features or at least one that when the timer setting is met that it will go into keep warm mode.

Any suggestions or experences

Thank You

Just saw an add for a Proctor-Silex 1.5 quart with removable crock liner for $8.99!

At that price it wouldn't pay to drive around searching garage sales for one. How wrong could you go with something like that at that price..

Just saw an add for a Proctor-Silex 1.5 quart with removable crock liner for $8.99!

At that price it wouldn't pay to drive around searching garage sales for one. How wrong could you go with something like that at that price..

Unless you live in the exact right kind of neighborhood, I would imagine that to drive around looking for stuff often would be a very low yield operation.

Not to mention that it is a wearying way to spend one's time.

Ha

By the way, the little ones are great for putting out a hot dip or hors d'oeuvres at a buffet. With the lid off and on low they'll generally maintain a pot full of stuff at just the right temp for serving/eating.

I've also used a large one for a pseudo hot-pot meal for four. I made up a nice stock and chunked/sliced some meats and vegetables and made up a bunch of dipping sauces, got the stock up to a full boil on high and then put it in the center of the table, still plugged in on an extension cord. When we got ready to eat, I popped the top, we used long metal skewers to dip our food in the stock until it was done to our liking. When we ran out of things to dip, I ladled the enriched stock (along with everything everyone had dropped in by accident) into bowls as soup.

Heck of a lot of fun for a small (4-6 people) dinner party, and the large heavy crock's ability to hold heat worked great. I was a little uncertain as to whether it'd maintain a boil with the lid off, but it did.

Hot pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, there are forums where people call each other names over their opinions on hot-pot variants and what actually constitutes authentic 'hot pot'... ;)

Am I the only person who read the subject and first thought the OP wanted a recommendation for a crackpot? I was all set to suggest h*cus but then my eyes caught up to where my brain was.

Am I the only person who read the subject and first thought the OP wanted a recommendation for a crackpot? I was all set to suggest h*cus but then my eyes caught up to where my brain was.

Come on, SC. H*cus is so yesterday. We've got a whole new crop of candidates for crackpotdom. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom