Recommend Little Known Podcast?

Elbata

Full time employment: Posting here.
"Google" the best podcasts and you get 99% Invisible, This American Life etc.

But is there a little known podcast that you like/follow that just isn't known? There's got to be hundreds, perhaps thousands of podcasts that are interesting, but we just don't know about them.

One of my favorites is called "Beat Your Genes". An interviewer (Nate) asks questions to a psychologist (Doug Lisle). Doug is a proponent of evolutionary psychology. He also is the author of "The Pleasure Trap" along with Alan Goldhamer. I think there might be a commercial at the beginning (I don't know, I skip to Doug talking) but once Doug starts talking, it's commercial free. Caveat emptor: Doug believes in a plant based diet. But the show is much more than that, covering topics on humor, relationships etc.

Anyone else recommend esoteric podcasts they follow but not well-known?

Don't know they are "not well known", but my favorites are:
1. Econ Talk by Russ Roberts - He is an excellent interviewer. It's not hardcore econ/finance very often, usually more discussion of the social implications of policies
2. Freakonomics - spin off from the books with the same title.
3. Political Beats - deep dive into the catalog of a music act by people who normally write about politics. No political discussion :)
4. The Moth - life stories told by regular people, not professionals

Don't know they are "not well known", but my favorites are:

4. The Moth - life stories told by regular people, not professionals

If you ever get a chance to see a Moth live contest, it makes a great evening.

Earful Tower an Aussie expat interviews people about Paris favorites

Modern Love from NYT

Ear Hustle San Quentin prisoners show

A couple I have enjoyed lately are-

Ear Hustle. All about life in San Quentin prison as told by the inmates. Rough stories for sure and a lot of not very nice language.

The way I heard it. Narrated by Mike Rowe

I don't think they are unknown so much but both are very good IMHO.

I listen to a lot of different podcasts, covering all sorts of different topics. Most are common well known ones. However, my absolute favorite is actually a syndicated radio show called the Free Beer and Hot Wings Show. It's available in podcast format. It's a comedy/talk morning radio show, but they're funny, witty, sometimes crude, and cover current topics. Good stuff.

Planet Money-NPR

Hidden Brain-NPR
My favs. I listen to many though.

Some of my more obscure favorites are "The Allusionist" which is about words; "99% Invisible" which about design; "You Must Remember This" which is about the history of Hollywood. There was a short series of podcasts called "Containers" that I really enjoyed. BBC has a number of interesting podcasts (I like "In Our Time") as does Radiotopia.
br

I love podcasts and listen to lots. I have no idea which podcasts are mainstream and which are off beat. Here is my list:

99% Invisible - design
Aloud at Los Angeles Library - lectures
Beat Your Genes
Cambridge Forums - lectures with discussion
Cash Flow Ninja
City Arts & Lectures
Clark Howard - consumer advocate
Commonwealth Club of California - lectures
Dave Ramsey - get out of debt, stay out of debt
Design Matters - writers, architects, artists, etc
The Feed - cooking, restaurants, chefs
Global Business - BBC news section
Gravy - Southern history and cooking
Great Women of Business - business biographies
HBR IdeaCast - Harvard Business Review
Hidden Brain - psychology and sociology
Hidden Forces - commentary
How I Built This - entrepreneurs and their stories
Ideas - Canadian, CBC program
Marketplace - Wall Street & other money matters
Matters of Design - Interior Design
Milk Street radio - cooking, restaurants, chefs
Moth Radio Hour - true stories
Modern Love - NY Times, stories read by famous actors
Planet Money
Radical Personal Finance - Best are Q&A Fridays
Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell
RN design - British
Sewing with Threads - clothing sewing magazine
Side Hustle School - small business
Side Hustle Show - small business
Talking Green
The Splendid Table - cooking, restaurants, chefs
To the Best of Our Knowledge
Stacking Benjamins
Stephen Fry’s Great Leap Years
Talking Green
TED radio hour - Excerpts of TED talks with commentary
Tim Ferriss - only listen to his interviews w/ others. His advice is junk
Under the Influence - marketing, Canadian
Your Money’s Worth - Kiplinger
Your Wealth (Australia)
World Update BBC - news

“Legends Of The Old West” and “Infamous America”, both from Black Barrel Media, have interesting multi-part stories.

Not sure how well known or unknown they are, but here are the podcasts I listen to:

- Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History
- Sky Tour Astronomy
- Uncommon Knowledge
- The History of Rome

I think “little known” is to podcast as delicious is to ice cream.

I like “Crimetown” from Gamble Media. It’s a narrative with interviews from the principals in specific cities. Season 1 was Providence and Season 2 was Detroit. The production quality is amazing.

I just added This Podcast Will Kill You to my regular listening. Two grad students (epidemiology or something similar) highlight a disease - the organism that causes it, history, etc. Sounds weird but it's fascinating.

I found “American Revolution Podcast” the other day. It has the feel of a guy doing it at home but who does his research and brings a lot of context beyond the usual.

I just discovered Alan Alda's "Clear and Vivid" podcast. He's interviewed lots of interesting people, some famous, some less so. If you were a M*A*S*H fan, there's a long episode with several of the surviving cast members that is terrific.

Against the Rules by Michael Lewis is a terrific podcast, albeit limited episodes to date.

I think “little known” is to podcast as delicious is to ice cream.

I like “Crimetown” from Gamble Media. It’s a narrative with interviews from the principals in specific cities. Season 1 was Providence and Season 2 was Detroit. The production quality is amazing.

As you might guess from my avatar, I really liked the Providence season. My time there was well before Buddy Cianci but the character of the city back in the day was well portrayed.

If you're into the intersection of history and espionage, you might like these:
- Spycast (produced by the International Spy Museum in DC)
- Espionage (from Parcast)

I like - “The Retirement and IRA Show”.

Thanks for the recco, Hopeful.

I LOVE this podcast! Lots of new info about self-directed Roth IRAs and more.
Some info is new to me and sends me to DuckDuckGo to learn more.

The Boston accent is grating but the info is fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom