Got the green light from our CFP

disneysteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In addition to all of the great info and opinions I've gotten from the fine folks here, we did opt to engage the services of a CFP to look over our plan and weigh in on the "can I retire?" question. This person happens to be a relative who we've known for many years and trust and respect. He is as far from the sleazy salesperson type as you can get. We told him upfront that we were not looking for a money manager and were not looking to be sold anything. We purely wanted his professional opinion on our readiness as well as his input on where best to draw income from once in retirement.

We had our first meeting with him on 10/22. At that time, we gave him all of our data including our portfolio spreadsheet, our SS statements, our 2020 tax forms, etc. We talked a lot about our lifestyle, our spending habits, and our goals and dreams for retirement.

We had our follow up with him yesterday. He took all of our data and ran a variety of projections with different retirement dates, different withdrawal plans, etc. In all but one scenario that he modeled, our predicted success rate was 100%. In the one outlier, our success rate was "only" 99%, which I found quite humorous to be honest. I was like, "Well, there you go. No way I can retire now. We're doomed to fail."

The 99% scenario was the one where he had me retiring completely as of January 2022 and not earning any income after that. I don't intend to stop earning money entirely though. What I actually plan to do is drop to per diem status and only work a few shifts per month. Adding in 30K/yr or more in ongoing income for even a year or two would make that prediction 100% too.

My part time status officially starts on 11/28, just a week away! I'll give that a few months to see how I like it. If it's going well, I'll continue it for a while. If not, I'll give my notice to drop to per diem at that point. Time will tell.

And in case anyone is wondering, he initially told us he would give us a discount off his normal fee, but he ended up not charging us at all so I certainly can't complain about the price. My wife and I agreed that we need to do something for him to thank him for his time.

I don't know....I think you're getting into dangerous waters by risking ER with that one 99% success odds. Maybe you should work another 5 years or so, just to play safe.

I know, go for it!

Like you are not going to make any dough after retirement?

I'm making more dough after retirement than when I was working - :)

Maybe you can post your numbers here so that we may run our simulators to give you a success rate.

I'm sure it it will be more than 200%.

We had our first meeting with him on 10/22. At that time, we gave him all of our data including our portfolio spreadsheet, our SS statements, our 2020 tax forms, etc. We talked a lot about our lifestyle, our spending habits, and our goals and dreams for retirement.

Hey, not to dampen the great news, but did you provide details of spending now and expected during retirement?
Your comment here that you “talked a lot about our lifestyle, our spending habits…” struck me as perhaps not as detailed as the portfolio spreadsheets you provided.

As long as that part was completely covered as part of the assessment, congrats and best of luck to you!

Hey, not to dampen the great news, but did you provide details of spending now and expected during retirement?
Your comment here that you “talked a lot about our lifestyle, our spending habits…” struck me as perhaps not as detailed as the portfolio spreadsheets you provided.

As long as that part was completely covered as part of the assessment, congrats and best of luck to you!

Oh absolutely. We talked specific numbers, not just generalities. I was just summarizing here.

I will say - that from your history, this was not exactly a surprise.

But - congrats!

(And buy the relative dinner at a nice restaurant or the like.)

Sounds like you could go per diem now! Only work a few days during the crazy holiday time.
Go for it :))
Time waits for no one.

I will say - that from your history, this was not exactly a surprise.

But - congrats!

(And buy the relative dinner at a nice restaurant or the like.)

Yeah, I expected nothing different. I really wanted his input more from planning a withdrawal strategy, tax efficiency, and just making sure I wasn't overlooking anything important.

And yes, a nice dinner is certainly in order.

Sounds like you could go per diem now! Only work a few days during the crazy holiday time.
Go for it :))
Time waits for no one.

Very true. Unfortunately, I gave notice to go part time back in August and that starts next week. Our contracts require 120 days notice. I could go back to them now and say I changed my mind and want per diem instead but I don't feel right doing that and my part time schedule is already in place for a bit.

What I'll likely due is stick with part time for a few months and then give notice in the spring or early summer to go per diem 120 days later (or whenever they let me if sooner). My plan had been to be done by the end of next year so that's right in line.

Back
Top Bottom