Recommendations for Other Websites?

Marita40

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Someone mentioned Early Retirement Extreme in a thread and so I checked it out. There's some good reading but it seems to be a rather slow moving forum and (dare I say) too extreme for my tastes. It got me wondering, though, what other sites people visit that are comparable to this one--ie. general sites on retirement, money matters, life and leisure issues, etc. I do visit Bogleheads often and occasionally check out the Dave Ramsey forums.

Marita40 said:
Someone mentioned Early Retirement Extreme in a thread and so I checked it out. There's some good reading but it seems to be a rather slow moving forum and (dare I say) too extreme for my tastes. It got me wondering, though, what other sites people visit that are comparable to this one--ie. general sites on retirement, money matters, life and leisure issues, etc. I do visit Bogleheads often and occasionally check out the Dave Ramsey forums.

Seeking Alpha is a site I visit every day for investment info. Highly recommend it.

You know that all the cool kids hang out here.

But there are other boards. Raddr's is at Raddr's Early Retirement and Financial Strategy Board • Index page and includes the classic trainwreck "Y2K ER" thread: Raddr's Early Retirement and Financial Strategy Board • View topic - Hypothetical Y2K retiree update I spend more time at his retirement analysis pages at Portfolio Management Topics for Retirees

John Greaney's discussion board at Retire Early Home Page Discussion Board :: Index has been moribund for several years. Most of the new posts are spammers. John himself seems to have wandered away from the ER topic and only updates his website (REHP Chronological Index.) a few times a year.

Morningstar has an "Investing DURING retirement" board that seemed to be doing OK around 2005-2006, but they don't do a very good job of moderating the site. Their discussion-board software was slow and difficult to search, and once or twice over the years their ads deposited a virus on some reader's hard drives. After the Vanguard Diehards decamped en masse to form Bogleheads, I stopped visiting M*.

A hot new upstart is the MrMoneyMustache forum at The Money Mustache Community - Index . I appreciate his lifestyle and I'm certainly envious of the traffic on his blog. His advice is great. However his writing style is a bit too confrontational for some and I haven't spent much time on his forum.

Usually the big boards dominate their category until the owner loses interest (or unless they make a really bad user-hostile decision). Then they fade away and the users go to the next-biggest board, and a year or two later everyone starts a thread on "Whatever happened to... ?" If this board went the way of the circle of life then I'd head over to MMM or Bogleheads.

I get about a quarter of my blogging & book topics from here, but I get about half of them from Linkedin. The rest come from reader e-mails and blog comments.

Really, this site, the Boglehead site & Morningstar already can use up more time than I have in a day. I have found other sites with an occasional great thread but nothng like this wild & wonderful place. One place I do recommend for those with a 403b is 403bwise.com, but glad that DW retired and rolled her 403b into a VG IRA (Wellesley/Star funds).

Links to (a very few) forums are included among other entries in our "Links" section, if you click on "Links" in the horizontal bar above. But I'm not sure any of them are the type of forum you are asking for.

This may not be a general site on retirement, but I often refer federal employees to FederalSoup.com for discussions of certain retirement issues that are specific to federal employees only. There, in the two retirement focused subforums, they can discuss these issues with other federal retirees who are familiar with them and know all the ins and outs of federal retirement.

A number of us are refuge's from the Motley Fool's Retire Early forum, renamed CampFIRE) forum. It is a shadow of its former self but a number of poster are knowledgeable and pretty entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom