Removing glue from felt pads

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had nice wood floor put in a few years ago. The recommendation was to put felt pads on every piece of furniture that touched the floor to prevent scratching and wear. That has worked well for me.

But...

The felt pads have the very sticky glue on them that works great, until it doesn't. When the pad disconnects from the furniture, the glue comes in contact with the floor. It sticks to the floor VERY well.

Any suggestions for how can I get this left over glue off the floor without ruining the finish on the floor?

Goof Off or Krud Kutter would be my first idea. Obviously try a bit somewhere that won't be visible, see if it effects the finish. Other than that I'd just use water on a rag, with lots of elbow grease.

Edit: A quick google search suggested using a hairdryer to dry the glue, then pop it off with something that won't scratch the floor, like a plastic spatula.

Last edited:
Start with a mild low volatility solvent like mineral spirits, or my favorite Citrasolv.

Last edited:
WD-40? Test that it won't mess up the finish.

When faced with a similar problem, I start with mineral spirits, aka paint thinner, then try alcohol, then lacquer thinner, then acetone (nail polish remover). As mentioned, try in an inconspicuous spot first.

Peanut butter, yes that's a serious suggestion. As you work it into sticky stuff its oil binds to the adhesive and prevents the glue from resticking. It's also unlikely to ruin wood finish.

Goo Gone. More gentle than Goof Off. And it is a master at glues of all kinds.

After installing our wood floors, I added these Nail-On Felt Pads to all our furniture. They've stayed in place for two years so far, and no glue to worry about.

Peanut butter, yes that's a serious suggestion. As you work it into sticky stuff its oil binds to the adhesive and prevents the glue from resticking. It's also unlikely to ruin wood finish.
+1

I've heard good things about PB.

Along the same lines, mineral oil (baby oil) does a great job removing adhesive from finished wood.

Gray Hare wins the award for the best use of peanut butter, outside of eating it.

I tried this trick and it works. I mean really works. Gently rub it in, the glue come unbound from whatever it is sticking to and off it comes. Off the floor, off the bottom of the chair legs. No tiresome scrubbing, no nasty chemicals, no sharp things that might hurt me or scratch the wood.

I am amazed!

Perhaps time for me to start GrayHeloise Hints. Glad it worked for you.

Does the peanut butter need to be smooth, or does crunchy also work? (We only use crunchy and I have some similar work ahead.)

Back
Top Bottom