Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We went with Costco for our replacement garage doors. We went with middle of the road choice, which is steel on both sides and foam core. The motor is 1/2 HP Chamberlain.

The manufacturer used by Costco had a wide selection of lites, which has made the garage seem like a different place. We were able to pick a unique style that really enhances curb-side appeal.

target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
The new door is in-- $2200 and about five hours' labor by a very experienced installer.

We weren't very happy with the Lowes clerk's level of knowledge (key-punching message taker) so we kept looking at independent installers. We eventually found the company that contracts with Lowes, a small family business that was happy to cut out the middleman for a cash discount.

We went with the Wayne-Daulton 9600 and the Chamberlain Liftmaster 3580 1/2 HP opener. Six weeks from the Mainland. The guy drove his pickup's rack under the old door, unbolted it from the sides of the frame, dropped it on the truck, tied it down, and hauled it away. After that it was just tedious labor to bolt the rails to brackets on the sides of the frame, attach them to the ceiling trusses, and assemble the four panels on the rails.

The gasket on the bottom is a rigid rubber tube that compresses to keep the water from blowing in (an unfamiliar concept with our old door) and the installer even put weatherstripping along the sides of the frame. When the door shuts it totally seals the opening, although it can be raised to any in-between position to let in light & air.

The old plywood door easily weighed 300 pounds. The new door is maybe 100 pounds. It's so light that the torsion bar only has one spring. The wall-mounted controller is way over the top-- LCD panel displaying the garage door's status (in three languages) and any errors. It even shows the temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius.

The belt drive is so quiet that you can hardly tell it's operating. More like a gentle hum than a spinning motor.

Our old keypad won't work with the new controller so tomorrow we're shopping for a new keypad and a couple extra remotes.

I fell headfirst eyes-closed into that classic marriage veteran's boobytrap-- the new door is so nice that it makes the 20-year-old wood door on our own home look like crap. Spouse just finished painting it, though, so we're probably good for another decade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8250022.JPG (363.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P8250028.JPG (436.8 KB, 3 views)

Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
That looks great, the tenants should be happy and the curb appeal is definitely improved. Maybe glue on some plywood "accents" (diamonds? stars?) or site-cut rectangular frame doo-hickies to recapture the Midcentury Modern chic of the old door?

Our door looks terrible--paint peeling off the masonite, etc. I'm guessing the torsion springs are gonna go any day now--one is definitely pre-tensioned a lot higher than the other. I'm right on the line--invest $250 and two days of labor to get her looking and behaving well again (some primer, paint, new springs, and affix some insulation I already own to the inside and cover all with vinyl) or plunk down $2000 and be set for 30 years?

I looked over the display at our local Menards--they sell the special tools needed work on the torsion springs. Still, messing with those springs looks like a good way to end up on the nightly news.

Congrats on the door!
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I looked over the display at our local Menards--they sell the special tools needed work on the torsion springs. Still, messing with those springs looks like a good way to end up on the nightly news.
I'm surprised anyone is still selling those tools. Lowes & Home Depot are terrified of lawsuits by maimed homeowners.

The guy who did our door says that before he messes with a torsion spring he draws a chalk line across it to mark his starting point. That saves him from having to remember how many turns it took to adjust the tension. Especially if his stepladder moves in the middle of the job...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
We live in SoCal and had our old door replaced with a rollup type door about 8 years ago. Like the installer at Nords, the guy drove his pickup under the old door and dropped it down. I asked him what he did with it and he said that he takes 4 of the old doors down to Mexico and they build houses with them!

Another note, we didn't replace our opener because the old one still worked (probably should have!) and it only cost us around $600 installed for a 16x7 insulated door without windows. I think it's because we went with the cheapest door model and it looks like a bunch of places here still offer the super cheap (< $600/$700) door models here, but I guess it's because they can get away with using 26-gauge steel here. There's also a lot of volume here due to the tract homes all getting their doors replaced.

My friend got his replacement a year ago and he paid about $2k. His door was supposedly higher end them ours, but I didn't see a huge difference.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Spruce up your garage door on the cheap:
Amazing Garage Door Art! | Interior Designs And Home Ideas
velcro attachments supposedly

calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote