Reputable Source for bank checks

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
Does anyone have a reputable source that we can use to order some checks? We are moving at the end of this week and need to order some. The bank wants a small fortune for them.

Thanks!

Sam's club. Great price, and fast. Didn't go for the fancy shipping options, and got them in a few days .

I tried "checks-in-the-mail" by the time they stick you with junk fees, almost as expensive as the bank.

We used Walmart recently. Worked good. But we write very few checks thses days so we were just looking for good and cheap.

+1 Walmart... all online, fast and cheap. Good luck with the move..sure it's a PITA and not fun..

Used Walmart for the few we write anymore. On very rare occasions will write a check on FIDO brokerage account; I think it's a hoot that they're printed with the date line showing 19__! Probably have enough left to last our lives!

Regarding banking, I find the smart phone apps that take a photo of checks for deposit to be incredibly convenient. I literally have no need to ever visit a financial institution or use stamps for transactions anymore. I guess I did get one paper check a while back that exceeded the limit, whatever it was. They seem to be closing a lot of branches of banks around here these days.

When I moved a few months ago, my credit union also wanted to charge a bit for new checks so I decided to use what I had with the old address (since I rarely write a check and another option is using brokerage account for check writing). I am considering closing the credit union account and using the brokerage account for checking since everything is free (checks, ATM use, etc) and the rare deposit can be made via phone.

I used Checks Unlimited back in 2012. I paid $7.50 for 150 checks which will last me about 7 years. That's about $1 a year, a trivial amount. Before that, I had paid about $10 for 200 checks through Direct Checks.

I get their ads in the mail or as part of advertising supplements and save them. Most of them expire by the time I am ready to use them but I usually have one which is still valid.

I tried in the past ordering checks online without success as there was too much headache involved about proving I am who I am.

So, I just pay the small fortune to the bank. At least I only write about 1 or 2 checks a month as most stuff is set up for auto pay.

Last edited:
We also write very few checks a year, but find we still need them!

I looked online at Sam's (we are a member), but could only find blanks for computer printing- by chance does anyone have a link?

No Costco near us :-(

I rarely write them anymore either. With Bill Pay being free, and so many direct payment options, it makes little sense to actually write check except in rare instances. It saves a ton in postage and envelopes too.

If you are worried about the incorrect address, don't. Keep using the checks you have. No one looks at the address anyway. It's all by account number, and all electronic readers.

There was a piece of software that I had that would allow printing of the checks yourself. It printed them on regular white printer paper, with normal ink. They worked, as all banks use magnetic ink, and optical readers for any that do not have magnetic ink.

Search for “print your own checks”, there are plenty of options out there.

Walmart at the time was cheapest and a known store. Not fast, I think about two weeks but speed was not important.

I recently used www.checksunlimited.com They were quick, easy and inexpensive.

Edit: Whoops! I see I missed the boat on this.

Who pays for checks? I have Old Timers accounts at two different regional banks. Both banks offer free checks.

DW writes a check for cash every week and takes it to the drive-through. My job is to be sure the money is in the account(s).

Checks Unlimited. Cheap and I love the Muppet checks. Paying my property taxes is so much more fun when it's on a Miss Piggy check.

Back
Top Bottom