Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Rescinding Voter Registration
Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 150
Rescinding Voter Registration

I'm rescinding my voter registration. I've been called to jury duty for the second time since December 2010, this time to Federal court for at least 30 days, the time before for Superior court for a week. I've been told I'll be called to superior court again in December, that will make 3 times in one year. I've previously been called every year, year after year. I know that rescinding my voter registration will not get me removed from the repeated list, but I will not take part in a system that is so in contempt of a person's freedom to come and go at will. I've never had as much as a parking ticket, always followed the rules, and worked hard to be able to enjoy my later years with DH, but now we have to curtail our lives because of some brutal, power hungry system. I'll never vote again. When I called the jury office to tell them that my car has 160K miles on it, has trouble starting, the person in the office told me to take the train or bus. I live 75 miles (one way) from the courthouse on a mountain road and in an area that doesn't even have ambulance service much less a train. She told me in a very nasty tone of voice that that was no excuse, that I'd have to find a way or face a penalty. I'll never vote again.
__________________

__________________
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
We have a rule here (Chicago) that once you're called and served jury duty, you don't have to serve again for a full year. All you need to do is show proof of your jury service. You should check the rules in your area.
__________________

__________________
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 150
I checked. Here in California they can call you for Federal and Superior courts in the same year. And they call the same people "randomly" year after year. It's happening to a lot of us here. In fact, I'm hearing that it's happening like this all over the country.
__________________
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Sorry to hear that, I get called for jury duty every 3-4 years. What you're getting seems pretty painful.
__________________
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 12
Let the judge or interviewers know that you are aware and understand the rights of jury veto and nullification (read up on it). Almost guaranteed you'll be relieved of your duties immediately.

It pretty much means that you will not rule with the law if you do not agree with the law. Judges and lawyers will not inform you of this right because they despise it.
__________________
dpruitt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 150
Yes, I'm very aware of my rights as a juror; I've read extensively, and I'll tell you, they DO NOT like it, in fact, they do everything just short of a threat to get you to renounce your rights. The difficult part is the intrusion on my lifestyle. I mean, I did jury duty for 5 years in a row (before this year); it isn't like I'm trying to get out of something I've never done. I've done my part. I just want to enjoy my life with DH who is 74.
__________________
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
How much is the penalty? At this point it might be worth the money.

Or you could be like one of my parent's self-employed friends. He simply could not afford the time away, so he marked down that he could not serve because he was a felon. Was never summoned again.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 150
The penalty is $1000 - which I would gladly pay - 3 days in jail - which I would gladly do at this point and I'm not kidding - community service - which galls me because I pick up garbage - but the hardest part is suspension of my driver's license. That's the one I'm having the most difficult time with. However; I'm getting close to mailing it to them. DH supposrt this.
__________________
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 150
P.S.
If I had it all to do over, I would either check the wrong box, or I would never have answered the first summons. I've talked to people who have ignored the summons and threatening letter that follows and have never been called again. On the other hand, a friend of my was served a warrant for failure to show.
__________________
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Perhaps it might be worth contacting your elected official to see if they can help. Barring that, perhaps the local media would be interested.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,143
DW just got called for jury duty, however we are on extended vacation on another continent. Only reason she knows about it is that our son is checking the mail. He called them and they told him simply to send back the letter with a note saying she is on vacation.

If our son wasn't checking the mail, I wonder if they would have come after her with a fine etc. Like me she has been called 3 times in the last 7 years.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Perhaps it might be worth contacting your elected official to see if they can help. Barring that, perhaps the local media would be interested.
I'm gathering names of the media that might be interested because I know that I'm not the only one this is happening to. As for the officials. . . one year a few days before I was scheduled, my elderly mother became ill. I called the jury commissioner to ask for a reschedule because I was going out of town to care for my mother and she told me that I would have to get court approval in writing to leave town. I'm serious. I said, through clenched teeth, "okay, how long will that take." She said, "oh about a few weeks." I said, "I'm leaving town right now. And told her where to find me. I then wrote to the court administrator and told the story. Her answer: tough. Deal with the inconvience. BUT, I was given a year off.
__________________
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
DW just got called for jury duty, however we are on extended vacation on another continent. Only reason she knows about it is that our son is checking the mail. He called them and they told him simply to send back the letter with a note saying she is on vacation.

If our son wasn't checking the mail, I wonder if they would have come after her with a fine etc. Like me she has been called 3 times in the last 7 years.
Alan, maybe you could act as a remail service for the OP, postmarking her regrets about being unable to be there in person from the UK...
__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Alan, maybe you could act as a remail service for the OP, postmarking her regrets about being unable to be there in person from the UK...
I wouldn't dream of doing anything illegal.

I do emphasize with the OP though, as the courts are pretty unforgiving. I was called in 2004, turned up and not selected. In 2006 I was called, and selected, on a Monday. I was due to fly to Europe on the Saturday and was told that I would have to ask the judge in the courtroom. He said he expected the case to be over in 2 or 3 days, which, fortunately, it was.

I was called again in 2009 while out of State on the commissioning team of a new production unit. No getting out of jury duty but no need to turn up as the selection process this time was on-line over the weekend before the cases were to be held. However, I was selected so drove 5 hrs on the Sunday to turn up at the courthouse on the Monday morning, but the case had been settled out of court at the last moment that morning.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets
MissMolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 472
Although I'm sure the laws vary by state, it's not just voter registration that can get you called to jury duty. Several years ago we had a foreign exchange student living with us for a year. While he was here he got his KY driver's license (and turned 18). Shortly after he returned to his home in Gemany he received a jury summons (mailed to our address). I was very surprised this happened since he was not a citizen, nor was he 21 yrs old which I thought was needed for jury duty. I responded that he had returned to Germany and heard nothing more.
__________________
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waimanalo, HI
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpruitt85 View Post
Let the judge or interviewers know that you are aware and understand the rights of jury veto and nullification (read up on it). Almost guaranteed you'll be relieved of your duties immediately.
I tried that. Neither judge nor lawyers appeared to care in the slightest, and I still had to serve on the jury.
__________________
Greg (retired in 2010 at age 68, state pension)
GregLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #17
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisALot View Post
I'm rescinding my voter registration. I've been called to jury duty for the second time since December 2010, this time to Federal court for at least 30 days, the time before for Superior court for a week. I've been told I'll be called to superior court again in December, that will make 3 times in one year. I've previously been called every year, year after year. I know that rescinding my voter registration will not get me removed from the repeated list, but I will not take part in a system that is so in contempt of a person's freedom to come and go at will. I've never had as much as a parking ticket, always followed the rules, and worked hard to be able to enjoy my later years with DH, but now we have to curtail our lives because of some brutal, power hungry system. I'll never vote again. When I called the jury office to tell them that my car has 160K miles on it, has trouble starting, the person in the office told me to take the train or bus. I live 75 miles (one way) from the courthouse on a mountain road and in an area that doesn't even have ambulance service much less a train. She told me in a very nasty tone of voice that that was no excuse, that I'd have to find a way or face a penalty. I'll never vote again.
...maybe they are having a hard time finding legal residents in the State of California?
__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
...maybe they are having a hard time finding legal residents in the State of California?
That's probably not a joke!!!! So. . .how do I become illegal.
__________________
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisALot View Post
That's probably not a joke!!!! So. . .how do I become illegal.
Instead of just rescinding your voter registration, you could also renounce your citizenship, then sneak back across the border.... and still enjoy all the benefits of living in the US, with none of the responsibilities...(hypothetically speaking, of course...)
__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
Ready-4-ER-at-14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: chicago
Posts: 141
Probably something to do with finding people who can afford to miss work for months at a time. Legal system probably prefers government workers and retirees for that reason.

I would suspect that simply staring at the defendant and curling your lip and glaring would get you kicked by a defense attorney challenge.
__________________

__________________
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Encouraged by Voter Turnout........ FinanceDude FIRE Related Public Policy 26 04-08-2011 04:43 PM
Voter Registration phishing scam mickeyd Other topics 0 09-20-2008 10:10 AM
Financial Advice Without Registration: How Far Can You Go? headingout Other topics 17 08-24-2008 07:56 PM
Colorado and Car Registration? ejalret Other topics 3 10-03-2006 05:07 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.