Join Early Retirement Today

Reusable spaceship. Elon Musk at Ted.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Reusable spaceship. Elon Musk at Ted.

I am unabashed admirer of the man, and a customer. I am anxiously awaiting my Tesla, and I am very likely to be a customer of Solar City. Oh and yes I use Paypal fairly often.

In this interview at TED, Elon covers lot of ground, but I found the video of the next generation Space X rocketship to be particularly inspiring.

Now, I am hoping to be a SpaceX customer before I die.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Now, I am hoping to be a SpaceX customer before I die.
Packing your bags for a stay on a Bigelow 330?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I also an Elon Musk fan, though not a customer yet. I enjoyed the TED video, thanks. Reuseable rockets, cool. Very clever way to finance solar, and though I want to believe in solar, AFAIK the economics don't work well in the short term (enabled partly by few adopters) and even less so for the long run (too many adopters). And looking forward to Tesla v3...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am unabashed admirer of the man, and a customer. I am anxiously awaiting my Tesla, and I am very likely to be a customer of Solar City. .
We need more guys like this . I like his quote "I would like to die on Mars; just not on impact."
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I also an Elon Musk fan, though not a customer yet. I enjoyed the TED video, thanks. Reuseable rockets, cool. Very clever way to finance solar, and though I want to believe in solar, AFAIK the economics don't work well in the short term (enabled partly by few adopters) and even less so for the long run (too many adopters). And looking forward to Tesla v3...

I got my quote from Solar City for a PV system.

$9,800 gets me enough electricity to power the house for 20 years, plus enough electricity to power the Tesla for 8-10,000 miles a year. At the end of 20 years I have the options to get rid of the PV system or buy it for roughly $3,000.

My electricity bill will drop from $2300 a year to $200 and my gasoline bill from $1200 to 0. So even at twice the price this is pretty much a no brainer for me. Now admittedly Hawaii is a special case both for electric vehicles with sky high electricity prices $.35/KWH for me and plenty of sunshine.

Right now solar wouldn't make sense outside of CA and HI without the tax credits, but it might in the future,if oil price continue to rise. On the other hand switching to cheap natural gas certainly makes the economics less promising.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I got my quote from Solar City for a PV system.

Right now solar wouldn't make sense outside of CA and HI without the tax credits, but it might in the future,if oil price continue to rise. On the other hand switching to cheap natural gas certainly makes the economics less promising.
Having a house with a large south facing roof, I did some research on solar, But besides the 30% federal credit there are no incentives in Tx for solar. As a result its a 20-30 year payout, in particular if you size it to handle the summer ac load. It should be noted that at 8.6 cents/kwh it makes solar very difficult to justify on an economic basis.
One other area that solar makes sense is on any smaller caribbean island where diesel is used to make the power. (40 cents+/kwh)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Having a house with a large south facing roof, I did some research on solar, But besides the 30% federal credit there are no incentives in Tx for solar. As a result its a 20-30 year payout, in particular if you size it to handle the summer ac load. It should be noted that at 8.6 cents/kwh it makes solar very difficult to justify on an economic basis.
One other area that solar makes sense is on any smaller caribbean island where diesel is used to make the power. (40 cents+/kwh)
They are showing my total cost as 7.6 KWH for electricity, which completely ignores the time value of the $9,800 investment. So it is no surprise that with 8.6 KWH cheap electricity it makes no economic sense.

I'd argue that we'd be better off switching to cheap clean natural gas for most of the US, and I suspect that ecologically impact is less that way also.

But if Uncle Sam wants to subsidizes gadgets for well-to-do retirees living in Hawaii, who am I to turn them down.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But if Uncle Sam wants to subsidizes gadgets for well-to-do retirees living in Hawaii, who am I to turn them down.
Not criticizing HI residents at all, but isn't that how most early adopter subsidies work? They benefit well to do potential customers, not the less fortunate (or whatever term you prefer). Lower/middle income folks aren't early adopters (when subsidies are usually in play) don't buy hybrids, PV cells or EVs do they?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...caK_story.html

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Elon Musk has been compared to the fictional Tony Stark or the all-too-real Leonardo Da Vinci. However, I believe he is more like Steve Jobs or Thomas Edison, namely, very good at gathering smart people around him and leveraging their talents (and perhaps taking credit for their inventions (e.g., like Nikola Tesla's, the namesake of his car?)).