Robin Gibb Gravely Ill

I was very sad to read this news. The Bee Gees were my favorite group back in the day. I loved the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and used to drag my fiance (later husband) disco dancing in NYC back in our student days in the late 70's (much to his dismay).

I sorta feel my youth slipping away with stuff like this. I loved Andy Gibb, too....that hair, those teeth, those tight pants. Sigh.

In the early/mid 1960s, (although they had apparently already performed on Queensland television), I saw them on their first appearance on Melbourne, Victoria, TV.........I recall they were gangly teens rapidly growing out of the suits they were wearing.....jacket sleeves above the wrists, etc.

Hard not to like the brothers Gibb. Read an article about the family and watched a bio series on TV at time of Maurice Gibbs death. Nice family, good kids, good music, and heartbreaking battles with drugs/alcohol for both Andy and Maurice. Hope he survives this.

Good news, hope he recovers fully. We lived in England from 1997-2000 and our house was just a couple of blocks away from the Gibb's house near Beaconsfield, England. Never saw him or any evidence he lived there and didn't realize this until we were back in the states. We like the music of the Bee Gees, have a really good DVD titles "One Night Only" that we've watched many times.

The Bee Gees got too much anti-disco flak, and unnecessarily so. First of all, their music, to me, was the best-written, performed and produced of all the so-called "disco" music of 1976-79. (Theirs was actually dance music, not disco, with some ballads.) But, before Saturday Night Fever, they put out many great songs during the 1960s and into the mid-70s, before they became known by some as merely a disco band. But I must add that those gold chains around their necks and tight-fitting outfits didn't help their image much, at least a couple of years after the fact. Neither did their participation in that horrible movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom