Literally: Life After Fire

This is a wonderful reminder.

Every once in a while I feel like I "need to do something" in retirement.
Then I remind myself that I worked 38 years full time, as an RN, doing for others.
Now, my "something" is taking care of myself. I do what I want every day, spend time with grandkids, volunteer at a local food pantry monthly, read, garden, etc.
Retirement Life is great!

Thank you. You are an Angel. My parents needed nurses in their last days. We all might. Thank you.

Makes me think of a friend... assets in the multi millions. Empty nested. Wife working as a teacher. She wants OUT. Doesn't feel safe in the school. And he says "suck it up! you need to max out the pension after spending 8 years raising the kids".

Really don't under stand this mentality.

I have two purposes in retirement........

1. Read.All.The.Books.

I haven't finished yet. :D

1) The problem is that they keep writing more books. Although I still have War and Peace and a couple of Dostoevsky books as my emergency supply.

2) Not cats, but movies and TV series. Again, the problem is that I keep finding out movies and series that I never heard of but are recommended.

Everyone will react to ER different and because of how we are made up. It was mentioned earlier but you need to have a plan to what you are going to do when you ER. Retire to something not just ER.

I can only speak for myself but the first year was a huge change mentally and physically after ER. Work was very important to me, and I left at a very point in my career, so no hard feelings just wanted time for me, not the company anymore.

I have so many hobbies and outdoor activities I do I have not once got bored or looked back but kept focused on my new life and invented so many new things I love to do.

I do not miss work at all and I loved my job! I am 58 and so glad I did this! Hubby and I are having a great time. Loving life so very much.

My job was never my purpose. My family always will be.

I’ve been retired for 10 years now and the main reason other than RE was I no longer wanted to work for stupid people. My “purpose” after was remodeling the house. I went heavily on it for the first 2-3 years, but took more time to do a better job than the projects I rushed over weekends while working. My motto was there’s always more time tomorrow to get a little more of the project completed. Once DW retired, traveling became a bigger purpose and remodeling projects just sit there. My second motto is I did nothing today and I didn’t complete it. So I guess I fall into the group that doesn’t need a purpose. Whatever I’m currently doing is satisfying enough for me. In any case, my third motto was a bad day of fishing beats any good day of work.

I can't say that FIRE was much of a transition for me. I (very) occasionally miss the people I left behind. Of late, I've thought just a little about the really important w*rk that I did for Megacorp, but would never want to go back. It's not quite been vacation for 18 years, but not far from it either. I guess everyone is different and YMMV.

Retirement has been great.

Other matters weigh on me at the moment, and they would have happened had I retired or worked until I was 90. Thankfully, being retired, I have more options to remove some of that weight.

I’ve been retired for 10 years now and the main reason other than RE was I no longer wanted to work for stupid people. My “purpose” after was remodeling the house. I went heavily on it for the first 2-3 years, but took more time to do a better job than the projects I rushed over weekends while working. My motto was there’s always more time tomorrow to get a little more of the project completed. Once DW retired, traveling became a bigger purpose and remodeling projects just sit there. My second motto is I did nothing today and I didn’t complete it. So I guess I fall into the group that doesn’t need a purpose. Whatever I’m currently doing is satisfying enough for me. In any case, my third motto was a bad day of fishing beats any good day of work.

(bolded by me)
:LOL: almost spit out my coffee, had to read this to my husband--that reason was a big part of his ER. Some of the stories he would tell me......:facepalm:

I recall reading someone’s 4 stages of retirement, and the 2nd one was the “getting lost” thing. That never happened to me. My two main pursuits in RE are travel and photography. After a trip, I spend several hours a day editing the photos. I am always so happy to finish that job so I have some time to get back to a new book, etc. At RE, it was just a nearly seamless shift from the old to the new.

It's not quite been vacation for 18 years, but not far from it either. I guess everyone is different and YMMV.

I'm only one month into retirement; for me, the transition has been realizing and internalizing that this is now normal life, not a turnaround or a vacation.

I'm only one month into retirement; for me, the transition has been realizing and internalizing that this is now normal life, not a turnaround or a vacation.

If anything, I was surprised that I didn't need much internalizing to accept the "new normal." It just sorta seemed "natural." Probably weird, but that's been my experience. Heh, heh, w*rking seemed unnatural and FIRE seemed natural. I guess I was just born to be FIRE'd.:cool: YMMV

Very interesting thread - I am coming up on my second retirement. A late in life divorce led me to go back to work, although financially it might not have been necessary. I did get to go live overseas again for five years, and gain another pension - that was not part of the plan. However, this time is a bit different - nevertheless, I am a driven person, but I've figured out if I have some future plans, I am good mentally. As it is, I've already got trips planned out to fall 2025! In the mean time, I will spend time with my elderly father; we already have a 'date' to go see a local bourbon facility. I also will have lots to do on my new house and I will be rediscovering some athletic activities that weren't as easy to pursue over here. Will I get bored? Maybe....but then, I've always been able to find something interesting about anything. I also have a stack of books both physical and on my kindle to read; hordes of DVD movies and TV shows I want to watch; afghans I want to crochet (I attempt complex designs, so my mind is being exercised as well as my hands); some consulting work in my area of expertise (minimal but enough to pad the travel budget); and more article writing for the journal I am on the editorial board of...plus cooking, gosh, I'm getting tired looking at the list! In any case, I think I'm ready and if I'm not, I'll deal with that when I get there...

I've never agreed with the whole "find a purpose" concept. It just seems too lofty and perhaps altruistic to me.

In my mind, I replace "finding a purpose" with "finding things I enjoy doing". This is important to avoid becoming a couch potato.

Back
Top Bottom