Roku

I just read that after Sept. 4th, Acorn TV is raising their price from $24.95. If you are thinking of signing up, now would be a good time to do it.

I just read that after Sept. 4th, Acorn TV is raising their price from $24.95. If you are thinking of signing up, now would be a good time to do it.

I went on Acorn TV site and they are running a special, 1 year of Acorn TV a $24.95 value plus the ROKU XD box for $79.95. You basically get the 1 year of Acorn TV for free. I want to try out ROKU anyway as we enjoy the British mysteries and programming so this is a no brainer. We will probably add the streaming Netflix as well.

Is there any free streaming video with the ROKU or do you have to figure out how to sign up for everything? Or is everything for a fee like Netflix?

Last edited:
Is there any free streaming video with the ROKU or do you have to figure out how to sign up for everything? Or is everything for a fee like Netflix?

No additional fees.

There are some free streaming sites, but sites like Netflix, Hulu+, Acorn etc require you to log in through your Roku. (only need to log in the first time).

I have found that most of the free steaming isn't that great, but the Acorn TV is "free" for a year after the initial fee. They rotate some really great series throughout the year.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, then there are a lot of free movies/shows for members.

Last edited:
I would like to drop Comcast Cable TV. The monthly fee is outrageous and I don't have any premium movie channels. I am thinking of an attic antenna and the ROKU with Acorn TV and Netflix could save a lot of money. Some of the channels I would really miss are HGTV, USA, History Channel, and a few others. Is there anyway to pick up these channels thru the ROKU?

I'm thinking about buying a Blu-Ray player when I get back from vacation. Not really for the extra definition but for the streaming capability which I understand is somewhat like what the Roku offers.

Here is the DVD I've been watching prices on: Amazon.com: Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black): Electronics
Hopefully the DVD interface is as easy to deal with as I understand the Roku is.
I jumped the gun and bought this Sony DVD because after we get back from vacation the state tax will be charged by Amazon. With HDMI cable this came to $115 total. I think Best Buy is offering about the same price now.

Wow, it really works on our flat screen TV to stream Amazon video, YouTube, and even Pandora. DW is excited as she loves Pandora. We'll still keep our Netflix DVD account for those oldies but goodies.

Tom52 said:
I would like to drop Comcast Cable TV. The monthly fee is outrageous and I don't have any premium movie channels. I am thinking of an attic antenna and the ROKU with Acorn TV and Netflix could save a lot of money. Some of the channels I would really miss are HGTV, USA, History Channel, and a few others. Is there anyway to pick up these channels thru the ROKU?
Some of those channels may have shows available free on their websites. History Channel does.

Back
Top Bottom