RV---Buyers Remorse?

We were in 70mph gusts in North Dakota earlier this year in our RV, but I had put out the stabilizer jacks and taken the pods off the truck. They didn't shake or even really notice the wind while being just 6 inches off the ground. We ignored the storm and played World of Warcraft all night.

This reminded me of a memorable RV rally we attended, where just prior to dinner the park ranger came around and told everyone to stop what they were doing and get into the stone walled restrooms. We all thought he was kidding because, California(!). He wasn't, so we all turned off our stoves, grabbed cups and wine, and headed off. It was quite the party, but one I'd be happy to never to have to repeat.

Other than that, we did spend one exciting evening huddled in our RV during a spring windstorm in Las Cruces, NM. The gusts were up to 70 MPH, and we shook something good. The RV park owner assured us we'd be fine, but we were prepared to make a dash into the concrete restrooms if need be. Now that actually is a good memory in hindsight!

What would RV'ing be without those concrete restrooms!:D

What would RV'ing be without those concrete restrooms!:D

Now what about sheltering in the plastic honey bucket restrooms?

There is a Stephen King short story about that I think...

Long post with lots of good advice. As you research the topic, I strongly suggest you think hard about what you want to do with your RV.

For me, it's all about getting to the choice single track mt bike trails or the best surfing beaches. Camping at these spots almost always means no hook ups (utilities), very rustic restrooms - pit toilets at best, and rough dirt roads to access the sites. I love going for a big ride or long surf session and getting back to my sheltered camper van with cold beer in the fridge and nice soft bed to rest in.

I'm a big fan of the VW Eurovan (had the VW Vanagon Westfalia before that) - so pretty much a 'class B' RV. As others have mentioned already, these are expensive and it's easy to sink tons of $$ into them if you can't do the maintenance / repairs yourself. I'm an obsessive DIY kind of person and do just about everything myself. For the things I can't do (body work, A/C recharge, etc. I research out economical places to get it done). I bought my '99 Eurovan Camper for $14,500 and used it heavily for four years adding over 95,000 to the odometer. But I sold it a couple of years ago for $18,500. Arguably, it was in much better condition when I sold than it was when I bought it. I had put over $3,500 and many hours into it so it really wasn't a money maker, but it wasn't a money sink either. My current '02 Eurovan Camper cost me $18,500 and I've put about $1,100 into it so far and I've got a few more improvements in mind - for me - half the fun is making incremental improvements on these rigs. I do want to highlight that it's easy to sink a lot of $$ into these vans if you need to get them fixed at the dealership and they are not for everyone. But they work well for what I want to do with them. When I'm not out on a trip I park it in my garage and I use as my every day driver around town. Small and easy to drive. If I wanted to sell it today, I'm guessing that I could get more than $20K for it.

I contrast this with my dad who owns a 35 foot 5th wheel that he tows down to Arizona every winter behind his GMC 3/4 ton diesel truck. He and my step mom wouldn't be caught dead in my 'tiny' VW van. They like to go down and find a low cost RV park (or sometimes boondock on BLM land) almost always surrounded by tons of other old geezers who are escaping cold weather and are perfectly happy to just be in a sunny and warm place. Entertainment for them consists of swap meets, dances, and the occasional hike. I would be a fish out of water in this environment and my camper van is not good for these massive parks nor is it comfortable around a bunch of massive RV's with their generators running. But different strokes for different folks I guess. Anyway, my dad loves having a newish 3/4 diesel truck and would own it even if he didn't have a 5th wheel. His 5th wheel was bought used for around $35K five years ago I think and the way he takes care of it, it will last him for years. I doubt that he spent more than 1 or 2K with repairs or maintenance over this period. On the other hand, they spent a bunch of money taking it up to Alaska a few years ago on fuel and park fees. Would have been much cheaper in my van in my opinion. I wouldn't dream of taking his rig down the narrow highways in Baja Mexico or down the bone jarring dirt roads in Canada, Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, etc. that I've been down in search of nice bike trails, kite surfing spots, and hot springs.

So again, there are very different use cases for the 'RV Lifestyle'. Think carefully about where you want to be, and then pursue the right RV / camper for that purpose.

Last edited:
kite_rider's post above is very good and maybe not obvious to the non RV'er. As he describes, there is a very broad range of RV'ing styles. There are also a broad range of "parks", from full hookups, pools with waterslides, golf carts everywhere, min golf, etc. etc.... to the State and Nat parks where you little to know hookups, but quiet, nature, phenomenal beauty and access to hiking, water, etc... I prefer the latter, and as such, my RV (21 ft trailer) is really just a place for comfortable bed, small kitchen and a bathroom.

I ERd in May, along with my boyfriend. We've been living full time in a gently used 27 foot travel trailer since May. It has been great. We plan on doing this for years. Currently, we're installing a solar system so we can do a lot of off grid camping for free. We've had wonderful opportunities for hiking ,mountain biking, whitewater rafting and general exploring. We don't make big travel plans and just go where ever we feel like going.

WE have had other threads about this and we regret buying a 27 ft used motorhome. First of all only certain newer vehicles can be towed so you need to buy one that can be towed or buy a really old car. Or buy a tow cart that cost 4k. When we went to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons had to rent a car because it is too big to drive around. We mostly take trips that involve a lot of driving and it costs a fortune. We want hookups and want to be close to what we are doing so on a month trip a year ago between gas and rv sites we spent 6k. The national parks were expensive with YS being 55/night and GT 75/night.I cooked most of our meals.We wanted to be able to take our 4 dogs so it did solve that problem. However, many rv sites only allow 2 dogs. We are the 3rd owner and no one has used it much as it has 42k miles on it and is 23 yo. We were going to sell it but then my DH got a job that will be out of town for a year so now we will keep it so he can live in it. After that job is done then we will sell. Yes things have broke and we have fixed them which is not cheap. If we had rented one and took a month trip we would not have bought one. However, since we paid 14k and have another 4k into it this was not a huge mistake. WE met people last year that live in them f.t. and love it. But these people did not travel the country. They stay in Denver for summer and in the south for winter. That way they rent by the month which is a lot cheaper and on;t spend much on gas. If we had a reasonable spot a few hours away we would park and leave it like someone else on this forum does.

Sorry to say, but you have got to DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Of course you can't just go out and buy an RV and go camping without having a clue as to what you're doing! The people with buyers remorse in the RV industry is really a low percentage, cause most people research a major purchase before spending that kind of money. I wonder where you get your information. There are tens of thousands of people out there who are full time and wouldn't have it any other way. And no, they don't all go somewhere and rent by the month. Lots of people actually bought an RV to travel and see the country. A few of those types are snowbirds. You obviously didn't have any idea what you were doing and turned something fun into a cluster you-know-what. You're probably much better off in a Motel 6 or something like that.

Sorry to say, but you have got to DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Of course you can't just go out and buy an RV and go camping without having a clue as to what you're doing! The people with buyers remorse in the RV industry is really a low percentage, cause most people research a major purchase before spending that kind of money. I wonder where you get your information. There are tens of thousands of people out there who are full time and wouldn't have it any other way. And no, they don't all go somewhere and rent by the month. Lots of people actually bought an RV to travel and see the country. A few of those types are snowbirds. You obviously didn't have any idea what you were doing and turned something fun into a cluster you-know-what. You're probably much better off in a Motel 6 or something like that.
Welcome. Nice first post.

... The people with buyers remorse in the RV industry is really a low percentage, cause most people research a major purchase before spending that kind of money. ...

My inference is to the contrary. There sure are a lot of low mileage RVs available.... We'll do our research and test drives/rents/sleeps, but will buy used--the market tells me that the initial research may not be sufficient and I'd rather limit our risk.

My inference is to the contrary. There sure are a lot of low mileage RVs available.... We'll do our research and test drives/rents/sleeps, but will buy used--the market tells me that the initial research may not be sufficient and I'd rather limit our risk.

Just because an RV has low miles does not necessarily mean buyers remorse. Might not be the best financial decision the owner has made in life, but the owner could be very happy with the time they had the RV. Remorse is not defined by just financial perspective.

I do agree buying used will save money and tip the financial assessment more in less negative direction. All RVs depreciate, some faster and more than others.

That's my impression too. There are hundreds of thousands of RVs sold each year. 400,000 expected to be sold this year, according to this source: The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Business Indicators . Tens of thousands of full timers represents a small % of RV buyers.

If you sample the people you see driving or living in an RV, you're likely to get a favorable response. Try asking people who have one parked in their driveway or in a storage lot. Most likely many of those people didn't do their research, but maybe that shows that the research is kind of hard to do, predicting how you will actually use it.

Try asking people who have one parked in their driveway or in a storage lot. Most likely many of those people didn't do their research, but maybe that shows that the research is kind of hard to do, predicting how you will actually use it.

I definitely agree these people probably didn't do their research. My impression is most of the people who are unhappy with RVing didn't do their research and 'bought the dream' of what they envisioned the experience of owning a RV would be with little or no thought as to the reality of using it.

I disagree that researching/learning about the particulars of RVing is difficult to do. Example: most of the things Teacher Terry found not to her liking (poor fuel mileage, repair costs, restrictions on tow vehicles, high cost of RV parks near major attractions, restrictions on the number of pets in RV parks, etc.) are frequent topics of discussion on numerous RV forums or are easily researched on other RV related sites. All it takes is a little time and effort to learn.

That said, I fully agree on buying used for a number of reasons.

Probably true. As much as I like the dream, I've heard and read enough to tell that it'd be unlikely to work out well for me. I'm working more on making my current car more adaptable, and maybe considering a van down the road to accommodate things a little more if I want. A lot of people probably just don't think things through, or just assume they'll like something they really haven't tried.

Now what about sheltering in the plastic honey bucket restrooms?

There is a Stephen King short story about that I think...

I have one of those up at my house construction site. The county says it is required. It has blown over a couple of times despite being staked down with rebar stakes. I don't think I would want to be in there when the wind is really blowing! :LOL:

Are you employed in the RV industry?

Last edited:
... There are also a broad range of "parks", from full hookups, pools with waterslides, golf carts everywhere, min golf, etc. etc.... to the State and Nat parks where you little to know hookups, but quiet, nature, phenomenal beauty and access to hiking, water, etc... I prefer the latter, and as such, my RV (21 ft trailer) is really just a place for comfortable bed, small kitchen and a bathroom.

I also used my 25' motorhome for travel. I have not been in one of those RV parks which cater to families with children and have the above recreational facilities. I prefer a simple place to park to enjoy the surrounding, or to use as a base to visit nearby towns.

About researching before buying, that really helps. While watching the used market for the right RV, I read some bloggers, and their mishaps were my lessons. For example, the very first blogger I ever read on any subject, not just RV'ing, was Andy Baird. On his trip home back to the east coast after he picked up his motorhome from the southwest, he lost his RV awning on the highway. The flimsy latches allowed the awning to unfurl, and at highway speed it became a big sail and was ripped right off the side of his motorhome.

So, the first thing I did to my motorhome was to secure the awning with strong cords to backup those flimsy latches. Similarly, I learned about tips to properly use and dump the waste tanks. That's scary stuff that I do not take lightly. :)

I know I am late to the game, but anytime I hear, "I want to buy a small motorhome". It's a red flag. You're going to have raining days. Make sure that everyone that regularly stays in the RV, has a comfortable place to sit and read/surf/watch TV.

We had to move up from a 24 foot class C to a 31 foot class C to a 34 foot class A with three slides to find the one we wanted.

Thanks for the welcome you guys! I guess that first post is a little intense, but oh well. And no, I don't work for the RV industry or Motel 6. But you guys put a smile on my face and made me laugh! :D
Glad to see that you're a regular guy with a sense of humor and as such, very welcome here!

Back
Top Bottom