A little nervous about a potential scam, any bankers?

When we sold our motorhome a guy made an appointment on a Sunday night and wanted to write us a check and take it. I laughed and said we will meet you at a bank tomorrow to count the cash. That obviously never happened.

Two sisters bought it to live in. They were in their early 60’s with 3 small dogs. Their husbands divorced them and they had crappy jobs and couldn’t afford rent. They also didn’t have enough money to buy it but their little Chi ran over, jumped in my lap and snuggled my neck. I sold it for much cheaper than I could have and went to the bank with them for the cash. Then my husband spent a couple of hours explaining how everything worked. I occasionally wondered how it all worked out.

I know nothing about reselling trailers, and I'm not an attorney. But this sure sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through. The buyer should do all the hoop jumping. You as the seller should basically only have to do only 3 things: prove you're the oner, sell the item as it is described, and receive a legitimate payment. If I were the OP, I'd pass on this transaction.

Excuse my typos.

Owner of Rock Solid Funding here! :)

Hi Maci,

I know I’m quite late to the party on this thread, I just noticed this and I hope I can at least provide some clarity to your concern, or anyone else who might be curious.

I own Rock Solid Funding along with my brother, and have been running it since 2015. We are a legitimate business based in Colleyville, Texas and have been in business in 2008. We have been a licensed creditor with the Texas OCCC, are currently a registered Credit Service Organization with the state of Texas.

We act, in most cases, as a finance office or resource for hundreds of trailer, RV and marine dealerships across the United States. We help customers seeking financing options secure a lending source through a partner bank, go over all the details of their loan with them, provide e-signed contracts and facilitate tax, title, and license work anytime the selling dealership doesn’t.

Where we also specialize is helping private-party transactions take place. Most banks or credit unions will only do a secure, collateralized (non personal) loan through a dealership to make sure the lien gets perfected and that dealership is held accountable if it isn’t. They don’t entrust Mr. Jones (buyer) and Mrs. Smith (seller) to do this themselves … obvious reasons, they have been burned big time in the past.

Rock Solid Funding is special in a way where our partner banks, view and trust us, the same as they do a dealership. We ensure all the I’s are dotted and T’s are crossed with everything for our customers. We are honored to have earned their trust to do business this way, it is uncommon in our space.

Now to your situation of why we need a seller’s POA. This is solely to ensure we can successfully transfer the title from your name to the buyers. The details of the POA clearly state the only purpose is to ensure we can prove to the thousands of different DMV’s and title agencies across the country that everyone involved (buyer and seller) have given permission for Rock Solid Funding to send money, signed documents, etc. to finalize the transaction.

There are a lot of other comments, concerns and points that I probably missed, but I hope this gives you peace of mind that Rock Solid Funding wasn’t trying to scam you. :)

Either way, I hope you were able to successfully sell your 5th Wheel, regardless if you used Rock Solid Funding or not and I hope you didn’t leave the recreational space all together, it’s so much fun hitting the open road!

Take care, and I’ll stop rambling now.

Bryan Swink,
Owner, Rock Solid Funding
(email anytime if you have questions, happy to help!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom