Satellite Internet?

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are moving to a location that only has Satellite for high speed internet. No DSL, No Cable. We were thinking of using Direcway. I currently use Vonage with a cable modem. Does anyone have any experience with Satellite Internet? How about Satellite Internet with VOIP?

I dont think you can get voip to work with direcway. Turnaround times are too long. Unless you say "blah blah blah...over..."

Have you seen how much direcway costs? Yikes.

Any wireless ISP's in that area? We have several small WISP's in my fairly rural area. Those can be used with voip.

I'm with CFB... too much latency for VoIP :(

How about Satellite Internet with VOIP?

I have read it doesnt work and same with online games since there is a lag.  Look up Wildblue (it is a newer offering that appears to be better than direcway. Also, look up wimax (I have but it isnt available everywhere).

The Wildblue site says that they dont support VOIP, either.

No other wireless in the area. Direcway is about $70 bucks a month and $400 for equipment. Next door neighbor, maybe two are going to split the wireless. I have read and it should work with 802.11 MIMO. Houses are about 200 ft apart. Neighbor down the street has Direcway and wireless, but you can only sit in front of his house so long before it is time to eat. There is a cable company. Last year I ask if they were thinking about offering Internet service 'yea, we're thinking about it' ..... anytime soon? 'No, but we're thinking about it' needless to say they are still thinking about it. Next door neighbor had cable. Called to cancel, they said 'Oh but we are going to be going digital and you will be able to get over 150 chanels!' Neighbor ask 'Same crappy picture' answer 'Well, yes'.

Rustic, I live in a rural area and suffered with dial-up for almost 7 years. I refused to go with sat. because of the cost and connectivity/reliability problems. Martha posted a link to a Directway users group and after reading that, no way. I finally ended up going with a wireless ISP provider about a month ago, the only othe alternative available. No cheaper than sat, but supposedly more reliable.

How's it working you ask? I haven't been around much today since the system has either been offline or slower than dial up. :mad:

Guess it's just one of the little joys of livin' the country life...

Back
Top Bottom