How Do You Get Live TV?

Trooper

Full time employment: Posting here.
We currently subscribe to DirecTV via satellite for our live TV, mainly for me to watch sports and for DW to watch the various Datelines and HGTV shows.

We're considering moving to a streaming live TV service, and wondering what folks here do for their live TV.

Do you not have a live TV service, use a traditional cable/satellite "corded" service, or stream your live TV? If the latter, which service do you have and how is the user experience, channel offering, and cost?

Digital antennas in the attic. One time costs - maybe $200 to $300. After that, entirely free.

I used to bounce around between Dish and DirectTV. I switched to YoutubeTV and while the price has been rising it still beats satellite and cable (around $70/month and no box rentals and unlimited DVR)

We've been hanging on to the lowest tier of cablle service, and will drop that soon. It was really a backup until we decided digital streaming was good enough.

For a few years we've been using Hulu Live TV.
https://streamingtvguides.com/Hulu-TV/Guide shows all of the channels.

I use you tube tv and it costs 74/month. I share it with a friend so my cost is half of that.

Attic Antenna. Frankly the only things of value on local TV are the news and weather. Those too are available for free on Roku if somewhat delayed. Too many ads for contiguous series watching, better to DL or stream.

PBS, CBS & Bloomberg are free on Roku.

Last edited:
We currently subscribe to DirecTV via satellite for our live TV, mainly for me to watch sports and for DW to watch the various Datelines and HGTV shows.

We're considering moving to a streaming live TV service, and wondering what folks here do for their live TV.

Do you not have a live TV service, use a traditional cable/satellite "corded" service, or stream your live TV? If the latter, which service do you have and how is the user experience, channel offering, and cost?
Here is an extended discussion about moving from cable or satellite to live, over the air and streaming https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...-cutting-cable-tv-2021-version-107198-43.html

Hulu+Live, we fully cut the cord Feb 2018 and we’ve been streaming live TV since (PSV then Hulu).

I’ve used free OTA antenna experimentally but it’s not as convenient and you won’t get any quality content beyond the major networks and PBS. Works well in some locations, less or not at all in some. And you’re not able to save anything, or access on demand content, without other hardware. Just depends on how much you value “free.”

Last edited:
Our Florida condo association provides Xfinity basis cable as part of our Association fee. When Xfinity basic cable isn't working, I have an inexpensive rabbit ears type antenna that I use.

For our Vermont summer home we have an antenna in the attic that is connected to a Fire TV Recast OTA DVR that then "broadcasts" both live TV and recorded content to each of our 4 tvs each of which have Fire TV sticks that are attached to the same wifi network as the Recast.

Since you are into sports and need HGTV, I think one of the streaming with live TV services, like YouTube TV or Hulu with live tv or Fubo may be best for you.

Chcek out https://www.suppose.tv/tv

Last edited:
We use a 25 year old antenna on the roof top, get about 30 stations. Use it mostly for news.
Hate watching a movie or series on TV as too many commercials. So we stream movies and series via Netflix mostly, sometimes sign up for a month for some other service to watch specific thing.
Lastly I'll rent a DVD from redbox at our grocery store as I get it for ~1.25 or free. But the renting of a DVD is rare these days.

Our antenna is the old analog type, but since all towers switched to digital it picks it up fine. I don't think there is really a difference in antennas between digital or not.

Digital antennas in the attic. One time costs - maybe $200 to $300. After that, entirely free.

Do you use a recording capability with your antenna, like a TiVo? Or just live with the commercials?

Our antenna is the old analog type, but since all towers switched to digital it picks it up fine. I don't think there is really a difference in antennas between digital or not.
That's correct; the difference is in the televisions as to whether they can receive a digital OTA signal. All sets manufactured since 2006 can.

Indoor antenna hooked up to a very old TIVO Roamio DVR. Works great. Right now I am watching Van der Valk which I recorded months ago.

Great picture by the way. Noticeably better than the video quality that my neighbors get from the cable monster.

Last edited:
We have one tv that uses an attenna and gets 20 or so channels. Several show old series like "What's my Line" "Ironside" "Kojack" "Combat" "Petticoat Junction" that are a hoot. Plus NBC is having a disagreement with Direct TV so that is the only way we can watch The Voice.

Digital antenna and old OTA receiver - Magnavox DVR/DVD recorder.

If ATSC 3.0 ever comes to my area, I'd probably get an ATSC 3.0 receiver for the better reception.

Do you use a recording capability with your antenna, like a TiVo? Or just live with the commercials?

Yes, we have a Tivo Roamio OTA that we got from them as a refurb deeply discounted, probably 10 years ago. Still going strong.

We've been hanging on to the lowest tier of cablle service, and will drop that soon. It was really a backup until we decided digital streaming was good enough.

We're doing the same thing, lowest tier of cable TV gets us the local channels plus CNN, TNT, CSPN, and a bunch of shopping channels. It's $30 month, which includes DVR capability. We also one of those flat, rectangular, digital over-the-air antenna you tape to the wall.

It's possible to get local news and weather (plus various cities from all over the country) on some of the free streaming channels like Pluto, Roku Live TV, etc. There are also specific apps you can use to stream news and weather.

Digital streaming is good enough for me; the DW? Not yet. She's hanging onto the cable TV remote for now.

We spend quite a bit per month. We have Comcast, highest tier, with Netflix, Disney add ons plus internet. By the time the other fees and taxes also get added in, it's over $200/month. (The cable alone is about $130.)
Netflix and Disney are primarily for kids/grands, who are here a couple times a week, but DH and I do watch some of the shows on them too.
We have tried different tiers, but the way Comcast works around here, in order to get all the channels both DH and I like, the top tier is about it.
It is part of our entertainment budget.

I call every year or two, when the price goes up, and get the best deal offered, after I say I am going to close the account and look elsewhere.

Home made antenna (right behind the TV).

TV transmitters for all the major stations are located atop the roofs of skyscrapers lining a street that is just a couple of blocks away from our houses. So, Frank had no trouble setting up antennas for us so that we can get great reception.

Yet another one of the great advantages of living in an inner suburb of New Orleans.... :D I love living here!

No OTA where we live. We subscribe to YouTube TV. It's a ripoff at $75. But DW and DMIL watch some other stuff, not just the live broadcast channels. DMIL pays half of the $75. For me... around 95% of my TV viewing is free YouTube.

Don't have any local stuff since we cut the cable cord. Don't miss it or want it.

We don’t.

We don’t care for broadcast TV in general so no longer use antennas. No cable either.

We love streaming. Prefer on-demand as I’m very particular about not having to pay attention to TV schedules. And especially no ads.

BTW the few times we care to watch a live event such as a space launch, there are multiple YouTube channels showing it. And you can go back later and watch if you missed it.

Last edited:
No OTA where we live. We subscribe to YouTube TV. It's a ripoff at $75. But DW and DMIL watch some other stuff, not just the live broadcast channels. DMIL pays half of the $75. For me... around 95% of my TV viewing is free YouTube.
Not a ripoff compared to cable/satellite, though it was a lot more fun when streaming drop ins were $40-45/month…

Back
Top Bottom