Sauteed Mushroom recipe - Do you have a good one?

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am going to sautee mushrooms and onions to go with grilled steaks. Anyone have a great recipe?

Butter and sherry or butter and worcestershire sauce...Saute in the butter until the moisture is driven out and the mushrooms brown, then turn off the heat and add a few tablespoons of the sherry or worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste.

Well, I'll give you my French sauteed mushroom recipe (works best with button mushrooms and baby bellas):

In a frying pan, melt some butter. Add some finely chopped shallots (instead of onions) and cook until soft and translucent. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until there is no moisture left. Add a splash of white wine. When the wine has been absorbed, lower the heat, add a touch of cream, finely chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Cook another 30 seconds. Delicious with steaks or spaghettis.

Another good finisher once you've sauteed in butter is a little tarragon vinegar, thats nice on steak. Tarragon vinegar is the key ingredient in bearnaise sauce. Easy to make, put some fresh or dried tarragon in a bottle with some white vinegar for a couple of weeks. You can buy it too but what fun is that?

I wrote this for the Princess because she demanded a written recipe. I learned it from a friend and it was always a play-it-by-ear dish - thus the liberal use of "to taste" in the written version. The cooking times here are probably less than what I do in reality, but the end result is delicious when placed on top of a steak. The flavor is pretty bold, but everyone I've ever made it for loves it.

Dave’s Sautéed Mushrooms:

1 stick butter
8 ounce package of mushrooms
Garlic Salt to taste
Garlic Powder to taste
Onion Powder to taste
Lemon Pepper to taste
Worcestershire sauce
Soy sauce

Clean mushrooms and slice thinly. Melt butter on medium heat and add mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are cooked thoroughly. Add spices and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and twice as much soy sauce. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and serve hot.

The liberal use of soy sauce makes them taste salty/tangy, but that's how we like them. If you don't like the salty taste, lighten up on the soy, but also back off on the Worcestershire. Too much W-sauce in proportion to the soy doesn't taste as good.

Onions I usually just grill in a pan with a little butter, or put them in a foil packet with some butter and toss on the grill for "a while". Onions could probably be done better, but this method works okay and I've never gotten around to experimenting with this recipe.

Back
Top Bottom