Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #41
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Either that, or maybe you were scraping at a stuck piece of wallpaper a bit too vigorously and poked a hole clear through the drywall?
ROFL!! Probably. Either that or I just went completely insane. Oh well. Today I have to be at w*rk so I can rest my poor aching body.

Originally Posted by Martha View Post
If you are going to sell in a couple of years, I wouldn't do paneling, unless you are talking about doing some really nice wainscoting. A lot of people just don't like the look of paneling.
OK, that confirms what I suspected. I don't like it that much either, though Frank loves the stuff. I will "just say no" if he suggests it again.

I would go with the paint, with some nice modern colors. Don't be afraid of color. The green sounds nice so long as it isn't "hospital green."
That must be why I didn't like the green paint I uncovered (see photos). I had been thinking of something that would match the tiles. But you know, maybe something of a more almond shade would go with green nicely.

Have fun. I have used Dif with hot water and removed paper from nearly every room of our place, including the kitchen.
How long did it take? If you say "one week" I will jump off a cliff in despair.

Using paper towels or plastic to hold the moisture in is a very good idea. Repair dings and holes with joint compound, prime and paint and it should be beautiful when you are done.

Looking forward to the progress pictures.
This is really encouraging!!! If it even looked "OK", I would be ecstatic. If it actually looks nice when I am done, I'll be on Cloud Nine. I'll update the pictures at some point... Actually, since I am putting them on my Geocities site, I could conceivably do "before and after" pictures taken from the same angles.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Hey, it took a couple of years! But only because we didn't do it all at once. Each room was different. I thought the kitchen would be the worst because the wall paper was painted. Instead, it was the easiest as once you got under a corner of the paper it just ripped off in huge sheets, held together by the paint. Weird.

The bedroom is what we did recently. It had three layers of paper. The top was grass cloth which came off easily. Below that was a layer of metal flocked paper and below that standard old wallpaper. Took a fair amount of soaking and scoring for it to release but I think we got it all off in one day. Repairing plaster cracks took another day.

The worst was our parlor. There was only one layer of wallpaper but I swear it was stuck on in places with something other than wallpaper paste. We worked off and on for a month or thereabouts to get it off. We should have rented a steamer, but didn't. We were down to scraping with razor blade scrappers.

The bathroom was the only room with drywall. I removed the paper and caused a lot of dings and tears in the drywall in the process. Repaired with joint compound and it looks just fine.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote