Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Maybe for a second DUI 60 days would be appropriate but as I have just proven in the previous post, this was her first offense. Most first offenders pay a fine, have their license suspended, get probation and are forced to attend AA meetings. When there is an accident or injury involved the sentences can be more severe for obvious reasons and obviously the higher the BAC level the more severe the punishment. Paris' BAC was measured at 0.08 - the minimum legal limit where the state deems a person intoxicated and there was no accident or injury.

IMHO, she is in prison because of a judge that is seeking fame. Kind of ironic actually......
I don't believe the judge sent her to jail because of the DUI. She was sent to jail for refusing to comply with her probation. After giving a convict several chances to comply the judge has no other choice.
__________________

__________________
You don't want to work. You want to live like a king, but the big bad world don't owe you a thing. Get over it--The Eagles
lets-retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,414
im glad shes back in jail, now i can resume my PARIS HILTON ,SEX STARVED WOMEN IN JAIL fantasy and hope for the video ha ha ha
__________________

__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Screaming Paris Hilton sent back to jail
Old 06-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Vincenzo Corleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 82
Screaming Paris Hilton sent back to jail

This isn't meant as an attack against anyone here but - I can't believe how much attention this nobody is getting. I can't believe that CNN.com considers this completely insignificant event to be "breaking" news.
__________________
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,322
Hilton is yet another example of why we should have a draft.
__________________
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Hilton is yet another example of why we should have a draft.
I like it.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Cattusbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 814
Maybe we are all looking at this the wrong way. We are all sick of seeing her so locking her behind up for a month and a half will give us all a brake.

Paris look up the word overexposed and move off the stage please.

__________________
A todos los amantes del mundo. No importa el color de su piel, la pasion es universal.
_______________

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
_____________
Any day your on this side of the grass is a good day.
Cattusbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
IMHO, she is in prison because of a judge that is seeking fame. Kind of ironic actually......
I would have thought that she was in prison for repetitively breaking the law and showing little or no remorse or change in her behavior.

What could we call that... "Martha Stewart Syndrome"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Hilton is yet another example of why we should have a draft.
Not even the U.S. Air Force would want to tackle this training challenge...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,072
If she was a lower profile person... she probably would not be in jail. The judge was probably fearing public reaction if he just put her on a community service program instead.

Can you see PH doing community service. She could show all of the poor unfortunates how to be "high class"
__________________
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
As far as I know, if you live in california and get caught driving on a suspended license from a DUI, you go to jail.

I dont think theres much leeway there as far as your "profile".

If your jail sentence is a short number of days, the judge may offer work release programs or community service. Generally not the case when one is caught driving on a suspension, where the jail sentence is usually between 30 and 90 days.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,330
The judge ordered her to serve her time unless he amended the order. The news article quoted above had the judge saying he was waiting for documents from the sheriff to review. He never said he wouldn't release her under any circumstances. He may actually agree that she should be released. I suspect a hearing will soon be held involving psychiatrists not hired by PH or her attorneys. She may get out soon but the judge wasn't going to be publically overruled by the sheriff. It sounds like the "good" sheriff was making "star power" points on his own and the judge didn't like him freelancing.

The worst mistake anyone can make is pissing off the judge in their case. The second worst mistake is having someone else piss the judge off trying to help you.

My brother got picked up many years ago for a simple DUI. His attorney said he'd get a suspended sentence or deferred adjudication. Just before sentencing my brother managed to piss off the judge. He served 10 days for his first offense (weekends), had his license suspended for six months except for driving to work and put on 2 years probation.
__________________
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
the judge said he was reading information on tmzdotcom - what a loser...i'm suspicious of his motives...and his desire for his 15 minutes - apparently a long-time traffic judge (not something to brag about)...
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Paris Hilton has issued the following statement:

"Today I told my attorneys not to appeal the judge's decision. While I greatly appreciate the Sheriff's concern for my health and welfare, after meeting with doctors I intend to serve my time as ordered by the judge.

This is by far the hardest thing I have ever done. During the past several days, I have had a lot of time to reflect and have already learned a bitter, but important lesson from this experience.

As I have said before, I hope others will learn from my mistake. I have also had time to read the mail from my fans. I very much appreciate all of their good wishes and hope they will keep their letters coming.

I must also say that I was shocked to see all of the attention devoted to the amount of time I would spend in jail for what I had done by the media, public and city officials. I would hope going forward that the public and the media will focus on more important things, like the men and women serving our country in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places around the world."
__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Well that changes everything.

I hereby nominate her for the nobel piece prize.


No, I didnt misspell it.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
im glad shes back in jail, now i can resume my PARIS HILTON ,SEX STARVED WOMEN IN JAIL fantasy and hope for the video ha ha ha


Quote:
I would hope going forward that the public and the media will focus on more important things, like the men and women serving our country in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places around the world...
Wonder if she could point to Afghanistan on a globe?

Ah, the cult of personality... :confused:
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Maybe for a second DUI 60 days would be appropriate but as I have just proven in the previous post, this was her first offense. Most first offenders pay a fine, have their license suspended, get probation and are forced to attend AA meetings. When there is an accident or injury involved the sentences can be more severe for obvious reasons and obviously the higher the BAC level the more severe the punishment. Paris' BAC was measured at 0.08 - the minimum legal limit where the state deems a person intoxicated and there was no accident or injury.

IMHO, she is in prison because of a judge that is seeking fame. Kind of ironic actually......
She was caught DUI & driving recklessly last fall, for which she was given probation (36 months if memory serves), ordered to pay a fine, ordered to participate in alcohol education, and had her license suspended. THAT was her first offense, and she was not thrown in jail for that. Essentially the judge gave her a break and said "we'll cut you some slack and not throw you in jail this time -- but if you screw up and violate the terms of your probation, you're going to jail." That is very common for DUIs. She then proceeded to violate the terms of her probation, twice, while making smart-a** comments to one of the police officers. So seems more than appropriate to give her a taste of prison. She clearly wasn't learning from all of her warnings.

In many other courts, judges will make sure you spend time in jail for a first DUI, even if you get probation. DUI is serious and kills innocent people every day. I, for one, commend the judge's resolve.

FYI the court document you cite is from last fall and predated Hilton's later transgressions. So naturally it did not list prior offenses. Take a look at the recent court documents and I imagine they will reference her prior.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim that the judge was unethical and violated the judicial code of conduct? That's a pretty serious charge, and I haven't seen any indication of its truth, other than your comments and the comments of Ann Coulter.
__________________
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
As fashionable as it has become to 'hate' Paris Hilton, I disagree with the sentence she received. Ann Coulter , whom I rarely agree with, said the following: I agree with her wholeheartedly! Traffic offenses do not merit 45 days in prison. The judge should be investigated.
Every year on US roads apx 40,000 are killed and 400,000 are injured. About 40% of those killed and injured are alcohol related.

Drunk driving statistics

Impaired Driving Facts - NCIPC

Too lite a sentence? I don't know. What do you think a person who was paralized by a drunken driver might say?
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
She was caught DUI & driving recklessly last fall, for which she was given probation (36 months if memory serves), ordered to pay a fine, ordered to participate in alcohol education, and had her license suspended. THAT was her first offense, and she was not thrown in jail for that. Essentially the judge gave her a break and said "we'll cut you some slack and not throw you in jail this time -- but if you screw up and violate the terms of your probation, you're going to jail." That is very common for DUIs. She then proceeded to violate the terms of her probation, twice, while making smart-a** comments to one of the police officers. So seems more than appropriate to give her a taste of prison. She clearly wasn't learning from all of her warnings.

In many other courts, judges will make sure you spend time in jail for a first DUI, even if you get probation. DUI is serious and kills innocent people every day. I, for one, commend the judge's resolve.

FYI the court document you cite is from last fall and predated Hilton's later transgressions. So naturally it did not list prior offenses. Take a look at the recent court documents and I imagine they will reference her prior.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim that the judge was unethical and violated the judicial code of conduct? That's a pretty serious charge, and I haven't seen any indication of its truth, other than your comments and the comments of Ann Coulter.
You have no argument with me about Paris Hilton's behavior. She is her own worst enemy and a snotty, spoiled rotten, snot. I can't stand her and her self promoting ways. But that is not the issue here. The issue at hand is: Did this judge treat Paris Hilton the same as anyone else? The answer is NO, he didn't. He has singled out Ms. Hilton because of her celebrity status and the fact the he has a personal dislike of her. If you or I were in the same situation and released to home confinement by the sheriff's office, we'd never have been called back into court. But because Hilton is famous (more appropriately- Infamous) she was hauled into court and made an 'example' of. I personally find that troubling. If the judge in this case treated all similarly situated people the same, there would be no issue.
__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You have no argument with me about Paris Hilton's behavior. She is her own worst enemy and a snotty, spoiled rotten, snot. I can't stand her and her self promoting ways. But that is not the issue here. The issue at hand is: Did this judge treat Paris Hilton the same as anyone else? The answer is NO, he didn't. He has singled out Ms. Hilton because of her celebrity status and the fact the he has a personal dislike of her. If you or I were in the same situation and released to home confinement by the sheriff's office, we'd never have been called back into court. But because Hilton is famous (more appropriately- Infamous) she was hauled into court and made an 'example' of. I personally find that troubling. If the judge in this case treated all similarly situated people the same, there would be no issue.
Alex I think you are overlooking the deterence effect which is part of our judicial system. Judges and prosecuters are given pretty wide latitude on how they treat individual accused of the same crime. Part of the reason happens is to make "examples of" certain people in the hopes of detering similar behavior by others.

If other spoiled rich kids or even rich adult realize that their money won't help if they get convicted of a DUI, and treat there DUI as a welcome call then I think his actions are good for society. (Not to menition great business for the media.)

My best friend from high school was convicted of a DUI at the same age as Paris. Watching him have to suffer with no car (other than back forth to work) in LA not only stopped him from drinking and driving, but had a sobering impact on me.
__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If the judge in this case treated all similarly situated people the same, there would be no issue.

Then theres no issue. Anyone caught driving on a DUI suspended license in california does jail time. Anyone. Extra time if you got caught TWICE and signed a document the first time acknowledging that you know it was wrong and that you will do jail time if you do it again. And you actually have to do the time, not get out in a couple of days because your $500/hr shrink made a case.

Nobody likes being in jail. Particularly alcoholic, drug abusing, moronic party girls. But most of them get to fulfill their sentence in genpop.

If you want to rail about inequality, rail about her getting to spend 3 days in special protective custody, followed by a day at home, followed by some time in the medical wing on prescription psychotropics. I can imagine a lot of other inmates would like to go that route...
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update - Buying back years of service credit (was - Hello, I'm new here) Sue J Hi, I am... 26 07-10-2014 10:54 PM
Rev. Al and Paris H. - The Rev. is right on this one. dex Other topics 21 06-09-2007 09:50 AM
Paris Hilton looks bored at Vienna Ball justin Other topics 5 02-16-2007 05:15 PM
Paris Hilton; lets do our part azanon Other topics 27 10-08-2006 08:08 AM
Add back spending "shortfall?" halo FIRE and Money 4 01-01-2006 01:01 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.