Screaming Paris Hilton sent back to jail

Maybe we are all looking at this the wrong way. We are all sick of seeing her so locking her behind up for a month and a half will give us all a brake.

Paris look up the word overexposed and move off the stage please.

IMHO, she is in prison because of a judge that is seeking fame. Kind of ironic actually......
I would have thought that she was in prison for repetitively breaking the law and showing little or no remorse or change in her behavior.

What could we call that... "Martha Stewart Syndrome"?

Hilton is yet another example of why we should have a draft.
Not even the U.S. Air Force would want to tackle this training challenge...

If she was a lower profile person... she probably would not be in jail. The judge was probably fearing public reaction if he just put her on a community service program instead.

Can you see PH doing community service. She could show all of the poor unfortunates how to be "high class" :uglystupid:

As far as I know, if you live in california and get caught driving on a suspended license from a DUI, you go to jail.

I dont think theres much leeway there as far as your "profile".

If your jail sentence is a short number of days, the judge may offer work release programs or community service. Generally not the case when one is caught driving on a suspension, where the jail sentence is usually between 30 and 90 days.

The judge ordered her to serve her time unless he amended the order. The news article quoted above had the judge saying he was waiting for documents from the sheriff to review. He never said he wouldn't release her under any circumstances. He may actually agree that she should be released. I suspect a hearing will soon be held involving psychiatrists not hired by PH or her attorneys. She may get out soon but the judge wasn't going to be publically overruled by the sheriff. It sounds like the "good" sheriff was making "star power" points on his own and the judge didn't like him freelancing.

The worst mistake anyone can make is pissing off the judge in their case. The second worst mistake is having someone else piss the judge off trying to help you.

My brother got picked up many years ago for a simple DUI. His attorney said he'd get a suspended sentence or deferred adjudication. Just before sentencing my brother managed to piss off the judge. He served 10 days for his first offense (weekends), had his license suspended for six months except for driving to work and put on 2 years probation. :bat:

the judge said he was reading information on tmzdotcom - what a loser...i'm suspicious of his motives...and his desire for his 15 minutes - apparently a long-time traffic judge (not something to brag about)...

Paris Hilton has issued the following statement:

"Today I told my attorneys not to appeal the judge's decision. While I greatly appreciate the Sheriff's concern for my health and welfare, after meeting with doctors I intend to serve my time as ordered by the judge.

This is by far the hardest thing I have ever done. During the past several days, I have had a lot of time to reflect and have already learned a bitter, but important lesson from this experience.

As I have said before, I hope others will learn from my mistake. I have also had time to read the mail from my fans. I very much appreciate all of their good wishes and hope they will keep their letters coming.

I must also say that I was shocked to see all of the attention devoted to the amount of time I would spend in jail for what I had done by the media, public and city officials. I would hope going forward that the public and the media will focus on more important things, like the men and women serving our country in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places around the world."

Well that changes everything.

I hereby nominate her for the nobel piece prize.

No, I didnt misspell it.

im glad shes back in jail, now i can resume my PARIS HILTON ,SEX STARVED WOMEN IN JAIL fantasy and hope for the video ha ha ha

:D

I would hope going forward that the public and the media will focus on more important things, like the men and women serving our country in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places around the world...

Wonder if she could point to Afghanistan on a globe? :duh:

Ah, the cult of personality... :confused:

Maybe for a second DUI 60 days would be appropriate but as I have just proven in the previous post, this was her first offense. Most first offenders pay a fine, have their license suspended, get probation and are forced to attend AA meetings. When there is an accident or injury involved the sentences can be more severe for obvious reasons and obviously the higher the BAC level the more severe the punishment. Paris' BAC was measured at 0.08 - the minimum legal limit where the state deems a person intoxicated and there was no accident or injury.

IMHO, she is in prison because of a judge that is seeking fame. Kind of ironic actually......

She was caught DUI & driving recklessly last fall, for which she was given probation (36 months if memory serves), ordered to pay a fine, ordered to participate in alcohol education, and had her license suspended. THAT was her first offense, and she was not thrown in jail for that. Essentially the judge gave her a break and said "we'll cut you some slack and not throw you in jail this time -- but if you screw up and violate the terms of your probation, you're going to jail." That is very common for DUIs. She then proceeded to violate the terms of her probation, twice, while making smart-a** comments to one of the police officers. So seems more than appropriate to give her a taste of prison. She clearly wasn't learning from all of her warnings.

In many other courts, judges will make sure you spend time in jail for a first DUI, even if you get probation. DUI is serious and kills innocent people every day. I, for one, commend the judge's resolve.

FYI the court document you cite is from last fall and predated Hilton's later transgressions. So naturally it did not list prior offenses. Take a look at the recent court documents and I imagine they will reference her prior.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim that the judge was unethical and violated the judicial code of conduct? That's a pretty serious charge, and I haven't seen any indication of its truth, other than your comments and the comments of Ann Coulter.

As fashionable as it has become to 'hate' Paris Hilton, I disagree with the sentence she received. Ann Coulter , whom I rarely agree with, said the following: I agree with her wholeheartedly! Traffic offenses do not merit 45 days in prison. The judge should be investigated.

Every year on US roads apx 40,000 are killed and 400,000 are injured. About 40% of those killed and injured are alcohol related.

Drunk driving statistics

Impaired Driving Facts - NCIPC

Too lite a sentence? I don't know. What do you think a person who was paralized by a drunken driver might say?

She was caught DUI & driving recklessly last fall, for which she was given probation (36 months if memory serves), ordered to pay a fine, ordered to participate in alcohol education, and had her license suspended. THAT was her first offense, and she was not thrown in jail for that. Essentially the judge gave her a break and said "we'll cut you some slack and not throw you in jail this time -- but if you screw up and violate the terms of your probation, you're going to jail." That is very common for DUIs. She then proceeded to violate the terms of her probation, twice, while making smart-a** comments to one of the police officers. So seems more than appropriate to give her a taste of prison. She clearly wasn't learning from all of her warnings.

In many other courts, judges will make sure you spend time in jail for a first DUI, even if you get probation. DUI is serious and kills innocent people every day. I, for one, commend the judge's resolve.

FYI the court document you cite is from last fall and predated Hilton's later transgressions. So naturally it did not list prior offenses. Take a look at the recent court documents and I imagine they will reference her prior.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim that the judge was unethical and violated the judicial code of conduct? That's a pretty serious charge, and I haven't seen any indication of its truth, other than your comments and the comments of Ann Coulter.

You have no argument with me about Paris Hilton's behavior. She is her own worst enemy and a snotty, spoiled rotten, snot. I can't stand her and her self promoting ways. But that is not the issue here. The issue at hand is: Did this judge treat Paris Hilton the same as anyone else? The answer is NO, he didn't. He has singled out Ms. Hilton because of her celebrity status and the fact the he has a personal dislike of her. If you or I were in the same situation and released to home confinement by the sheriff's office, we'd never have been called back into court. But because Hilton is famous (more appropriately- Infamous) she was hauled into court and made an 'example' of. I personally find that troubling. If the judge in this case treated all similarly situated people the same, there would be no issue.

You have no argument with me about Paris Hilton's behavior. She is her own worst enemy and a snotty, spoiled rotten, snot. I can't stand her and her self promoting ways. But that is not the issue here. The issue at hand is: Did this judge treat Paris Hilton the same as anyone else? The answer is NO, he didn't. He has singled out Ms. Hilton because of her celebrity status and the fact the he has a personal dislike of her. If you or I were in the same situation and released to home confinement by the sheriff's office, we'd never have been called back into court. But because Hilton is famous (more appropriately- Infamous) she was hauled into court and made an 'example' of. I personally find that troubling. If the judge in this case treated all similarly situated people the same, there would be no issue.

Alex I think you are overlooking the deterence effect which is part of our judicial system. Judges and prosecuters are given pretty wide latitude on how they treat individual accused of the same crime. Part of the reason happens is to make "examples of" certain people in the hopes of detering similar behavior by others.

If other spoiled rich kids or even rich adult realize that their money won't help if they get convicted of a DUI, and treat there DUI as a welcome call then I think his actions are good for society. (Not to menition great business for the media.)

My best friend from high school was convicted of a DUI at the same age as Paris. Watching him have to suffer with no car (other than back forth to work) in LA not only stopped him from drinking and driving, but had a sobering impact on me.

If the judge in this case treated all similarly situated people the same, there would be no issue.

Then theres no issue. Anyone caught driving on a DUI suspended license in california does jail time. Anyone. Extra time if you got caught TWICE and signed a document the first time acknowledging that you know it was wrong and that you will do jail time if you do it again. And you actually have to do the time, not get out in a couple of days because your $500/hr shrink made a case.

Nobody likes being in jail. Particularly alcoholic, drug abusing, moronic party girls. But most of them get to fulfill their sentence in genpop.

If you want to rail about inequality, rail about her getting to spend 3 days in special protective custody, followed by a day at home, followed by some time in the medical wing on prescription psychotropics. I can imagine a lot of other inmates would like to go that route...

If you want to rail about inequality, rail about her getting to spend 3 days in special protective custody,
I think both the guards and the other prisoners felt that putting her in the general population would constitute cruel & unusual punishment... for the other prisoners...

Now I'm wondering what endorsements she'll get when she's out. A Prozac commercial?

Finland's punishments intrigue me. Fines are based on your income and net worth.

From what I saw on the news, her isolation from the general population consists of a special two person cell for 23 hours per day, and she's the only occupant. IOW, what she's really getting is solitary confinement. I'm sure she's a big reader, so that's probably not a problem.

Too lite a sentence? I don't know. What do you think a person who was paralized by a drunken driver might say?

That prison set-up would be a clean step up for some (like the homeless) but for Paris Hilton, it’s cruel and unusual punishment: bad food, small room, no privacy. I think the judge(s) missed a great opportunity to sentence her to jail plus public service; maybe she could join the Mothers Against Drunk Drivers and speak at HS and college campuses, she would pack the room. If I were her agent....

Hilton says she'll no longer `act dumb' - News - Yahoo! TV

So now the big question is . . . (drum roll) . . . how would she know that?

(rim shot)

But remember, that's just what her publicist told her to say.

Publicist: "...and tell them people should focus in the soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Hilton: "Af-gan-i-what?"

Publicist: "Oh, and say that your dumbness was an act."

Hilton: "OK. That's hot!"

Then theres no issue. Anyone caught driving on a DUI suspended license in california does jail time. Anyone. Extra time if you got caught TWICE and signed a document the first time acknowledging that you know it was wrong and that you will do jail time if you do it again. And you actually have to do the time, not get out in a couple of days because your $500/hr shrink made a case.

Nobody likes being in jail. Particularly alcoholic, drug abusing, moronic party girls. But most of them get to fulfill their sentence in genpop.

If you want to rail about inequality, rail about her getting to spend 3 days in special protective custody, followed by a day at home, followed by some time in the medical wing on prescription psychotropics. I can imagine a lot of other inmates would like to go that route...
Do you think maybe this two-bit traffic judge is just a teensy-weensy bit biased against Ms Hilton:confused: And that maybe he is seeking the spotlight? AFAIC, the fact that this judge felt compelled to put Ms Hilton back in prison after she was already released by the Sheriff PROVES he is biased against her.

In the end Paris Hilton is caught in a pissing match between the Sheriff's office (who run the prisons) and this judge. Personally, I feel that if a judge sentences someone to a prison term, that sentence should be carried out. I don't understand how the Sheriff's can decide to release people. But this is how they do it in LA LA LAnd. I am as troubled by the actions of the Sheriff's office as I am of the celebrity seeking judge! The whole system is wack!

As for Hilton receiving special treatment vis a vis her cell arrangements - the excessive cost is ridiculous and only bolsters my argument that she should have received electronic monitoring like anyone else would have.

Like I have stated previously, I am not condoning Hilton's behavior or defending it.

From what I saw on the news, her isolation from the general population consists of a special two person cell for 23 hours per day, and she's the only occupant. IOW, what she's really getting is solitary confinement. I'm sure she's a big reader, so that's probably not a problem.
I read this as that she is her own worse punishment.

Do you think maybe this two-bit traffic judge is just a teensy-weensy bit biased against Ms Hilton:confused: And that maybe he is seeking the spotlight? AFAIC, the fact that this judge felt compelled to put Ms Hilton back in prison after she was already released by the Sheriff PROVES he is biased against her.

Thats the funny part. That she was released shows bias. Nobody else would have been sent home after 3 days because jail made them sad.

As for Hilton receiving special treatment vis a vis her cell arrangements - the excessive cost is ridiculous and only bolsters my argument that she should have received electronic monitoring like anyone else would have.

Actually there isnt any evidence that anyone else would have been sent home after 3 days with a bracelet on. Like I've said a few times, its pretty much a given standard that you'll do 12 days on a 30 day sentence for driving on a suspended license...and thats a rare minimum.

In an example of how jail in CA is a happier experience for rich people, if you're willing to pay big bucks you can get home monitoring instead of jail time...but only for sentences of under 30 days in general.

Latest development: According to the LA TIMES, Paris Hilton will serve more time than 80% of others booked on the same charges.
The Times analyzed 2 million jail releases and found 1,500 cases since July 2002 that — like Hilton's — involved defendants who had been arrested for drunk driving and later sentenced to jail after a probation violation or driving without a license.

Had Hilton left jail for good after four days, her stint behind bars would have been similar to those served by 60% of those inmates.

But after a judge sent her back to jail Friday, Hilton's attorney announced that she would serve the full 23 days. That means that Hilton will end up serving more time than 80% of other people in similar situations.
Before the early-release program began in 2002, inmates with cases similar to Hilton's were sentenced to terms that amounted to an average of 23 days, the same as Hilton is expected to serve. They actually served 20 days. After the program began, the average term was 14 days, with inmates actually serving an average of four days.

Because of the high media interest, Hilton was one of only a few inmates whose premature release received publicity — and the judge who originally sentenced her noticed. She is believed to be the first inmate in years who actually was sent back to jail to serve more of her term.

Back
Top Bottom