SE Texas property

Mwsinron

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have a relative who lives near Alvin Tx. Anyone here live near Alvin,Katy or Pearland? Seems like the property is fairly cheap with some great growth potential. Anyways he has been telling me to invest in some land while its as cheap as it is. Just looking for some thoughts from folks who have experienced the area.

Thought I might add DW and I enjoy Texas on our visits. This could be a possible investment or end up being a retirement spot 7 to 10 years from now.

I can only opine that Katy and Pearland will be the new suburbs of Houston. Once I-10 is about finished in 2008, the building boom will already be underway in Katy. I saw the same thing happen in The Woodlands and Conroe as I-45 was being widened. I no longer live in Houston area, nor did I live on the West side.

You may already be too late for good land deals in Katy, particularly if developers already have it locked up but I suspect there is still room to go. IMHO, land is readily available and relatively cheap for housebuilding around Houston. I doubt you will ever see significant gains. I think I would buy it (a choice location) more for certainty for a 'home' in Texas than I would for speculative purposes.

Well we are headed in Oct to basically browse the surrounding areas. Maybe head to Galveston and see the sights. Appreciate your input, thanks.

Just from what I read about prices in other areas of the country... I would say that there is cheap land down here...

But, it is according to where you want to buy.. Galveston is being built up quickly.. many small condos for over $200,000... and who knows how much the monthly fee will be... (as an example... I priced one out two years ago.. it was about $85,000 for a 474 sq. ft. place with a $300 per month fee... yes, you could rent it out in the rental pool.. but DANG... expensive)

If you want to buy some land to live on an hour or two from Houston, it is more reasonable.

Mwsinron said:
Well we are headed in Oct to basically browse the surrounding areas. Maybe head to Galveston and see the sights. Appreciate your input, thanks.

If you like being close to the beach, but don't care about swimming, then Galveston is ok.

I like swimming in crystal clear blue water, and such thing does not exist anywhere in Texas. Everything is murky.

Sam said:
If you like being close to the beach, but don't care about swimming, then Galveston is ok.

I like swimming in crystal clear blue water, and such thing does not exist anywhere in Texas.  Everything is murky.

You can swim in Galveston... just don't expect to see your feet :LOL:

And it is true it is not blue... it has a lot of sediment and 'other' stuff floating..

Texas Proud said:
And it is true it is not blue... it has a lot of sediment and 'other' stuff floating..

What other stuff?  I go to Galveston quite often, and the water is clean.  Just murky because of the sediment.

REWahoo! said:
Sam, you are truly a master of the art of understatement. ;)

Am I supposed to take that as a compliment? :LOL:

Ya swimming isnt really my thing. My cousin tells me fishing is nice there. Some people actually wade to fish. Not this guy, I dont like to play in a sharks playground :D

This time around I think we will concentrate on looking around Alvin,Pearland and Friendsland. The stuff right on the coast seems to be a bit pricy for us.

Sam said:
What other stuff?  I go to Galveston quite often, and the water is clean.  Just murky because of the sediment.

There were many years where you had to watch out for the tar balls floating around... I have not been down in a long time, so I do not know how bad (or even if they are there) they might be..

You also need to watch for the jellyfish if they are around... (see last statement for caveat)...

Texas Proud said:
There were many years where you had to watch out for the tar balls floating around... I have not been down in a long time, so I do not know how bad (or even if they are there) they might be..

You also need to watch for the jellyfish if they are around... (see last statement for caveat)...
Don't forget the sharks :eek:

JPatrick said:
Don't forget the sharks :eek:
And, since this is Texas we're talking about, the rattlerfish and the scorpionfish...

Hurricanes.
Humidity.
No real estate appreciation.

Demented Longhorns on Spring break :p
img_417692_0_c7d1adeae484b2645ad61d0da9630d02.jpg

OK, I live in the neighborhood, so I have to comment.

First, anywhere SE of Houston is not prime real estate. The area is where most of the chemical and petroleum plants are. They explode from time to time and smell bad all the time.

Katy is now a suburb of Houston. It is not prime real estate either. There is no compelling reason to live in Katy unless Grandma lives further out in say Bellville or LaGrange. It is sprawling non-descript low-paying jobs cheap housing strip shopping centers hot humid blech!

Home prices in the suburbs of Houston have gone up about 2% a year for the last 10 years. That is, they have not even come close to matching inflation. There are no good investment opportunities in the area.

Since Galveston was mentioned, I have to comment on that as well. We never go to the beach in Galveston. The beach is across Seawall Blvd and jammed down below the sea wall and jetties.

OTOH, south Texas beaches have the best sand-castle building sand in the world. The fine grain, little bit of silt, as well as the mixed in tar and oil make this sand stick together, so tall structures are easily built.

As I type this, I am on vacation at a south texas beach. Gotta go work on my sand castle now. :) If you want photos, I'll post them later.

REWahoo! said:
Don't you mean "demented Herefords"? 
Thank you for that expert testimony.  There is a little Aggie in you afterall. 8)

Guys, stop bashing Texas.  It's not perfect, but it's my home!

Sam said:
Guys, stop bashing Texas. It's not perfect, but it's my home!

...thanks for the set-up....

It's my home too, and I want everyone to know that anyone who thinks of moving here should first consider the scorpions, rattlesnakes, mosquitoes, fire ants, wild hogs, rabid skunks, opressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, frequent tornadoes & hailstorms, recurring floods, wildfires, water shortages, rednecks, unbelievably high property taxes, and lack of real estate appreciation before packing the moving van. (And it's a red state...)

Take a hint from JPatrick, who couldn't wait to get the heck out of here.

Yes dont forget about the wild fierce Texas mule deer.... For you great hunters out there...lol

Back
Top Bottom