Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In Maryland ( and other states I presume) it is very important to use the official DMV Bill of Sale and have it notarized. This will protect you in case the buyer does not re-register the vehicle without spending half a day or more at the DMV.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #22

Many posts here with good info.

My son just sold his car on Craigslist. He had a couple of emails from people that didn't follow through and one from a lady who wanted a phone call so she could ask him some questions. She was actually a loony tune who just wanted someone to talk to, I think. She said she'd come for a test drive after she got a ride to the pawn shop to sell her jewelry, then kept talking for another 10 minutes just because she had an audience.

Anyways...after he lowered the price an actual real buyer came, test drove and bought it for $50 under his asking price. The guy came back the next day to pay in full, they went to the buyers bank and the buyer withdrew cash and handed it to my son, they used a notary at the bank to fill out the title.

My son needed his license plates back so he could put them on his next car when he buys it, but the buyer needed to drive to the DMV and get new plates. I told my son to prepare a self addressed, stamped plate size envelope to give to the buyer just to make it very easy for him to send the plates back. He had the plates back in a few days.

The buyer also asked for copies of recent repair receipts. My son scanned and printed the paperwork, blacked out any private info and was getting ready to put it in the mail. By that time I found an extra ignition key that we had at our house and he sent that along, too.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
..........My son needed his license plates back so he could put them on his next car when he buys it, but the buyer needed to drive to the DMV and get new plates. I told my son to prepare a self addressed, stamped plate size envelope to give to the buyer just to make it very easy for him to send the plates back. He had the plates back in a few days.................
That would be illegal in MI. Here you can drive the car home with no plates if in possession of a signed bill of sale.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just sold my first car on craigslist a few months ago.

Found there were SO MANY cars for sale that it didn't take long for my listing to fall so far down the list that no one could find it without just the right search words. Browsing the new listings page by page would never get to my car. Learned from others that you should "renew" your listing every 2 days. This is a simple button click in CL that brings your listing back up to the top of the new lists.

Also found that I got several calls that were cons or someone trying to get me to let them sell my car for me. A quick internet search found these were all scams. By the way it wasn't just phone calls, I got texts also that were scams. Bottom line is just be careful and listen to the suggestions many have made in this thread.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #25

I just sold one the other day on craigslist. Went super smooth.

Don't put your phone number in the ad, just let people email you so you can pre-filter. Respond to the email by asking them if you can answer any questions about the car they may have and if they want you to call them. Only respond to people who give you their phone number.

Ignore people who say "I would like to buy your item" and don't actually mention the car or type of car in their response.

Ignore anyone who wants you to drive it over to their place.

Say in the ad that a valid driver's license is required for a test drive and you will take a photo of their ID and delete it when they come back.

If the car is worth more than $10,000 or so, I would suggest you do the transaction at your or their bank (banks are fine with this). In this way you can verify cashier's checks and it makes the buyer feel more comfortable too. It would make a scammer feel uncomfortable and they might object, which is great.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Great suggestions. We are only asking about $3K, which is a little under BB. We are LBYMers, after all :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I just sold one the other day on craigslist. Went super smooth.

Don't put your phone number in the ad, just let people email you so you can pre-filter. Respond to the email by asking them if you can answer any questions about the car they may have and if they want you to call them. Only respond to people who give you their phone number.

Ignore people who say "I would like to buy your item" and don't actually mention the car or type of car in their response.

Ignore anyone who wants you to drive it over to their place.

Say in the ad that a valid driver's license is required for a test drive and you will take a photo of their ID and delete it when they come back.

If the car is worth more than $10,000 or so, I would suggest you do the transaction at your or their bank (banks are fine with this). In this way you can verify cashier's checks and it makes the buyer feel more comfortable too. It would make a scammer feel uncomfortable and they might object, which is great.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #27

I just sold a car on Craigslist a couple weeks ago. I never responded to many of the emails if they sounded the least bit iffy, and there were quite a few of those. I google-stalked a few that seemed legit, then responded to one. He came to the house; we went on a test drive together; talked about the car the whole time; and agreed on a price by the time we got back to the house.

We agreed to meet at his local bank the next morning. Until then, he let me take a photo of his drivers license, which I used to type up all the paperwork from Texas DMV. Next morning at the bank, he got a cashiers check, and we both signed all the paperwork. I had printed 2 copies of everything so no photocopying required.

In addition to signing over the title, I had a basic bill of sale, application for Texas title, and a vehicle transfer notification, which protects the seller in case the buyer does not complete the title transfer process. I let the buyer keep the plates and indicated this on the vehicle transfer notification.

Overall it was very smooth. I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist over the years. But this was the first car. As always, I think the key is writing a good, attention-grabbing ad with lots of details and photos. Bump it to the top frequently. Then be very selective about responding. Google search every tidbit of information from the buyer's email before deciding whether to respond.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

We just sold a car on CL. Only use email, do not give out your phone number. We also used cars.com. free listing also. Only accept cash or a transaction at the buyers bank. Be ready for lots of crazy people and for scammers.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Question for Marylanders (I KNOW you're out there :-)): The MVA says the car must pass MD inspection when the buyer goes to register title. I'm not worried about it passing inspection, but I don't want to pay to have it inspected - I think the buyer should do that. I do want to be sure the buyer titles the car! What's the proper way for me to handle this inspection angle?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #30

A couple of thoughts: On lowball offers when they have not seen or driven the car.

I respond with 2 things , I ask point blank if they have the asking price in cash, second I ask" why I should accept less than market value". This weeds out the flakes in less than 60 seconds. If they start babbling on, I say" Thank you for calling, best of luck with your car search, I am hanging up now"

I have sold a vehicle for less than market value when they say they just can't afford it , usually an honest person.

In this price range,I got a lot of un-liceneced car flippers calling , I avoid them like the plague.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Question for Marylanders (I KNOW you're out there :-)): The MVA says the car must pass MD inspection when the buyer goes to register title. I'm not worried about it passing inspection, but I don't want to pay to have it inspected - I think the buyer should do that. I do want to be sure the buyer titles the car! What's the proper way for me to handle this inspection angle?

Thanks!
Well, I'm an ex-Marylander and retired police officer, so I guess that will do. I know of no way to be certain that the buyer titles the car other than going to MVA with him. Be sure you take your tags off when the buyer takes the car, and turn them into MVA yourself. DO NOT trust anyone else to do this! Although the law says you can let him drive it for 10 days with your tags, if he doesn't send them back to you then in a couple of months you will get a letter from MVA saying "send in the tags. Or your driver's license". You don't want to give the buyer the ability to revoke your driver's license. When you cancel the insurance on the sold car, the insurance company notifies MVA and they start looking for the tags to come in. If they don't the bad things start to happen. Oh, and of course get a receipt from MVA for the tags, just in case....

So how does the buyer get it inspected? That's his problem, but if you're inclined to you can drive it to a shop he likes if convenient for you and take the tags off then and there. Otherwise he can call a tow truck but very few people will do this because they're too cheap to pay it. But if he gets caught driving with tags belonging on another car and/or without insurance the penalties are very expensive, making the tow truck look cheap. Before he can register the car he will need to show proof of insurance and the inspection certificate.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Amethyst,
I'm from md and have sold two cars on craigslist. If the car is priced reasonably, you will be fighting the buyers off. Definitely include pictures. I sold a camry in one hour with 20 plus buyers interested. As far as the inspection, just state in the ad that you are selling it as is. The new buyer will be responsible for the inspection. Take cash only and sign the title over to the buyer. Many of the buyers do this for a living and drive around with cash. Leave a little room in your price for negotiation. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Thanks!
My experience with trying to sell a car in MD is that you could buy a brand new car, take it to get inspected the next day, and it wouldn't pass. The MD inspection process is a scam to produce business for the repair shops. So I would definitely insist that the car was being sold as is, and let the buyer deal with the payola for the inspection.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #34

On the safety side of it, I'd highly recommend meeting any buyers in the parking lot of your local police department. We have had several folks robbed and killed (a very sad and high profile case just a few months back where an elderly could were murdered after traveling a couple of hours south to look at a mustang).

I have had success with CL, but there no way I'd do it without meeting at the PD.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #35

Meeting at a bank parking lot during the daytime would be equal IMO to meeting at a police station. Lots of cameras and people around.

I wonder if the few cases we hear about craigslist attacks are really statistically significant vs the number of transactions. What I mean here is I wonder if it is more likely you will get carjacked and shot by someone while driving to the bank or police station to meet with your craigslist party. I would really not be surprised if this is true, especially for those who take a few precautions, like responding with a few emails, talking on the phone before meeting, taking a picture of driver's license, and not get in the car for the test drive (that is what insurance is for).
Old 09-23-2015, 02:41 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't know about the sellers actions, but anything to make it easier on the buyer should help. DD and SIL were here yesterday. They live in Canada's 'far north' as in 4 hours from a town of more than 25K and 5 hours from us.

They had a few vehicles in mind that they'd seen on kijiji (bigger than cl in Canada). Didn't like any and decided to go 2.5 hours further for a look. Liked what they saw, ask was 10.5K. $9K in cash at 5PM works wonders. They had already checked the vehicle for damage (we have government mandated insurance and you can check claims), liens (same, on-line registry).

If you know what you're doing it can work well. If you don't know what you're doing it can work well, OR NOT.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Meeting at a bank parking lot during the daytime would be equal IMO to meeting at a police station. Lots of cameras and people around.

I wonder if the few cases we hear about craigslist attacks are really statistically significant vs the number of transactions. What I mean here is I wonder if it is more likely you will get carjacked and shot by someone while driving to the bank or police station to meet with your craigslist party. I would really not be surprised if this is true, especially for those who take a few precautions, like responding with a few emails, talking on the phone before meeting, taking a picture of driver's license, and not get in the car for the test drive (that is what insurance is for).
For me, it's a risk/benefit analysis. If I tell someone that I will be meeting them at PD and they balk, then that's already a good thing. Sure, the odds of being robbed or killed is EXTREMELY remote, but the fact is that lots of people are getting ripped off via Craigslist...so it was only a recommendation that I put out there. This is also VERY dependent on where you live. I am of the mindset that here in ATL, if you go somewhere to buy/sell something on CL, not only am I meeting at the PD, I will be ARMED when I do it.

I liken it to having fire extinguishers in the house. The odds of having a house fire is fairly remote, but it's not outside the realm of possibility so better safe than sorry.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That would be illegal in MI. Here you can drive the car home with no plates if in possession of a signed bill of sale.
Illegal in Texas also...and I suspect in most states. The license plates are registered to the car not to a person (could be different in some states I guess)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #39

The buyer is the one who is much more likely to get robbed than the seller. The buyer is the one showing up with a wad of cash. A thug can carjack anyone if he wants to steal a car. He doesnt need to do it via Craigslist where he is going to leave somewhat of a paper trail to who he is.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Illegal in Texas also...and I suspect in most states. The license plates are registered to the car not to a person (could be different in some states I guess)
I will disagree.... but with no proof....

However, when my sister sold her car to CarMax they took off the plates and both stickers...

When I traded in my car last year, we took off the plates and sticker... I think we left the inspection sticker, but not sure....

Decided to look.... it is not to the vehicle.... you can transfer to another vehicle you own.... from the Texas website...

It is simple and free to transfer your license plates to your new vehicle. The TxDMV encourages you to transfer your plates because it protects you. Your local county tax assessor-collector's office will assist with the transfer and issue you a new registration sticker for your vehicle.
You may transfer your plates:
  • Between vehicles you own. Your local county tax assessor-collector’s office will issue a new registration sticker for your vehicle.
  • To a vehicle purchased from a dealer. Remove the plates and request that the dealer transfer the plates to the new vehicle.
  • To a vehicle purchased from a private party. Register the plates with your local county tax assessor-collector office when you title the vehicle in your name.
  • To a leased vehicle.
  • From a vehicle titled jointly to a vehicle titled in your name alone. If your name has not changed.
Be sure to remove the registration sticker on your old vehicle when you take off the plates.

Tags
craigslist, private car sale, selling car