Septic Tank Pumping Schedule

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Today my computer told me that it's time to have the septic tank pumped and cleaned.

I had it done last in Aug 2004. Apparently the cleaner recommended it be done again in five years.

However, from the chart on this page, I figure I don't need it pumped until 2013 (i.e. 9 years. We have an 1800 gal tank, there were three people living here until 2006, and now only two).

Since it costs $600 to have it done, I don't want to do it any more frequently than necessary.

Is my reasoning sound?

Thanks,

Al

If you wait too long, what are the first signs?

If it were me, and these first signs were anything more than a bit unpleasant, I'd probably pump it now -- you never know what the previous owners might have done.

Once you've done it, you know you are not overusing it or abusing it, the longer interval seems reasonable.

It's the unknown use factor that would push me to do at least one pump-out.

Al, I have an aerobic system, so I'm far from knowledgeable on a traditional septic tank, but is there a way to measure the sludge level in the tank? I ask because our system has an access lid the septic maintenance guy removes to measure ours so we know when to pump (law requires the system to be checked for proper operation 3x a year).

If you wait too long, what are the first signs?

As I understand it, by the time you see the first signs, it is too late. It's a little like asking "what are the first signs of running my car w/o oil if I know my oil pressure light is burned out?".

You get sludge in your field, and then your field cannot do it's job. By the time you see signs of that you may need the whole field replaced.

If that source appears reliable, well then I guess that time frame is OK. I'd err on the conservative side though. A good pumper may actually be able to give you an idea of how much build up is in the tank (it is always filled with liquid - it is the build up that is the issue), and you could adjust the schedule going forward.

-ERD50

but is there a way to measure the sludge level in the tank?
Yes. I could pay $95 to have the septic service come and check it. I could make or buy a tool that will let me do that, but, ah, I think that I'm going to draw the DIY line here.

by the time you see the first signs, it is too late.

Yes, that's correct. Perhaps an inspection in 2012 would be a worthwhile investment.

Yes. I could pay $95 to have the septic service come and check it. I could make or buy a tool that will let me do that, but, ah, I think that I'm going to draw the DIY line here.

Aw c'mon T-Al, where is your sense of adventure? Pick up a snorkel at a garage sale and you're all set:

odd21.jpg

080707_bog.jpg

-ERD50

Just curious, do people still have grease traps as part of their septic systems? We had one when I was growing up in rural Texas. It was basically a mini-septic tank (40 gallons at the most) and only the kitchen sink drained into it. I don't know whether it emptied into the septic tank, or just directly into the drain field.
The reason I am asking is that I am pretty sure that we never had our septic tank pumped out during the 18 years it took for me to grow up and [-]escape[/-] leave there. We were a family of three, and I would guess that our septic tank was 750 gallons, judging from the 5 to 6 foot diameter shadow in the lawn. (As Erma Bombeck said: The grass is always greener over the septic tank) My dad would clean out the grease trap himself every year or so, a much less repugnant job than cleaning out the septic tank.
Eventually the little town voted for a municipal utility district and got a real sewer system. Who knows, maybe my parents were heading for septic field hell and just didn't know it.

REWahoo, I am impressed that any county in Texas actually inspects septic systems. Harris county never inspected ours. Good on you guys.

Traditional septic system owner here. :D
I generally get it pumped out every 3 years, with only 2 people in the household. My cost is approx $250 per pumpout. That w*rks out much cheaper than a leach field diagnosis and replacement. Previous owners never pumped it out and it failed within 15 years of original installation when the house was built.
I use the generic brand (not RidX) additive faithfully every month. I put no grease down the sink, using a paper towel to wipe out greasy pots and pans before washing. I use A&H powder laundry detergent only, on the advice of the guys who installed the new system. They told me that liquid laundry detergents have some sort of oils in them.

REWahoo, I am impressed that any county in Texas actually inspects septic systems. Harris county never inspected ours. Good on you guys.
Not so fast with the praise. :)

State law requires owners of an aerobic septic system to maintain them, most counties require homeowners to contract with a licensed maintenance provider for this service. These providers submit a report of their completed maintenance to the county once every four months. County inspectors show up only if the reports stop or if they get a complaint.

If you have the service guys check the tank level now then you'd be able to use that data point to predict your pumping date.

You'd also learn how to make and use your own tool. With a garden hose handy you'd never even get your gloves dirty.

Oh, the memories this brings back of submarine sanitary tank closeout inspections...

I am suddenly extremely happy that we are on county water and sewage :).

You folks are modern day wimps. I grew up in houses with septic ranks & they were never pumped out. It seems nowadays they are just holding tanks.

I grew up in an apartment in the Bronx. When the toilets backed up we called the super.

You folks are modern day wimps. I grew up in houses with septic ranks & they were never pumped out. It seems nowadays they are just holding tanks.
The exact phrase that the septic system replacement crew used for the old metal tank (installed in 1977 prior to my ownership) they dug up in 1992 was "Swiss cheese". Leach field was completely gummed up.

Current tank is concrete. :D

I do mine every 3 years....1500 gallons, 2 adults, one child using the toilet. It only costs me $190 and is cheap insurance.

I am suddenly extremely happy that we are on county water and sewage :).

Yes. This is why I will never, never, ever buy a home with a septic system, no matter HOW gorgeous it is, or how cheap it is. A (city) girl has to draw a line somewhere and this is it.

Yes. This is why I will never, never, ever buy a home with a septic system, no matter HOW gorgeous it is, or how cheap it is. A (city) girl has to draw a line somewhere and this is it.

Just think of a septic tank of a home as a very large black tank on an RV. And the emptying is done by a hired expert, not yourself.

Does it help you any? :)

If they charge you 95 to inspect it, would that be applied to the pump-out fee?

Our system is still relatively new, has (I think) a 3000 gal tank, and only gets used 6-8 weeks out of the year (for now) so we've never cleaned it out.

When I was a kid, the old leach field got gummed up and we had to run a new one. The old one was not dug below the hardpan, so the grass was truly greener. We dug the new one below the hardpan into the sandy layer, and we installed an automatic switching system so that it would leach to one line until it was saturated and then switch to another direction until it was saturated, and back and forth. After that, they were more faithful about adding the bacteria additive, and I don't think it ever had to be cleaned after that (they've moved to the city now).

R

Nothing to be afraid of. I've lived in homes on septic systems for all but ~ 20 years of my life.

I've had sewers and drains back up in the houses that were on municipal sewers - that is a mess and you call the pros. I've had almost zero problems with any of the septic systems, and when you do, you call the pros. Those problems were less of a mess, as they took place out in the septic field, away from the house. The routine pumping is the same, you call the pros. No muss, no fuss.

I don't know what municipal sewer rates run these days, but septic might be cheaper in the long run. And probably better for the environment (assuming a properly working system).

-ERD50

+1 My weekend place has a septic system. We are only down there on weekends (summer) and less frequently in winter. No garbage disposal. Some knowledgeable people have advised me that at that level of use I don't have to worry about pumping the tank. It will take care of itself. Contrary opinions are welcome.

Just think of a septic tank of a home as a very large black tank on an RV. And the emptying is done by a hired expert, not yourself.

Does it help you any? :)

Sounds like yet another excellent reason not to buy an RV. :D
Nothing to be afraid of. I've lived in homes on septic systems for all but ~ 20 years of my life.

I've had sewers and drains back up in the houses that were on municipal sewers - that is a mess and you call the pros. I've had almost zero problems with any of the septic systems, and when you do, you call the pros. Those problems were less of a mess, as they took place out in the septic field, away from the house. The routine pumping is the same, you call the pros. No muss, no fuss.

I don't know what municipal sewer rates run these days, but septic might be cheaper in the long run. And probably better for the environment (assuming a properly working system).

-ERD50
I have lived in houses on municipal sewer systems for 61 years, and have never had to call a plumber for anything but a leaky faucet. I am glad that someone likes septic systems but it is unlikely that I would change my mind about them. Just the "sludge" discussions on the first page of this thread were more than enough for me, thanks. :greetings10:

...I've had almost zero problems with any of the septic systems, and when you do, you call the pros. Those problems were less of a mess, as they took place out in the septic field, away from the house. The routine pumping is the same, you call the pros. No muss, no fuss.

-ERD50
Same here. My septic company is very efficient, i.e. they show up when they say they will, they charge a flat fee.
The young guy who does the "dirty w*rk" is a real character. He makes me laugh with some of his stories.
We move the Roman statue that I use to camouflage the top of the above-ground stack.
I set him up with the garden hose. When he is ready to open the stack and do the job, I disappear :nonono: and leave him to his "craft".

Attachments

• Septic 001.jpg
    Septic 001.jpg
    792.7 KB · Views: 1
+1 My weekend place has a septic system. We are only down there on weekends (summer) and less frequently in winter. No garbage disposal. Some knowledgeable people have advised me that at that level of use I don't have to worry about pumping the tank. It will take care of itself. Contrary opinions are welcome.

donheff, your experience in no way confirms (the "+1") what Kahn wrote. Since you use it so little, the pumping frequency is extended greatly. That just is not comparable to a family home occupied 365 days a year.

I am glad that someone likes septic systems but it is unlikely that I would change my mind about them. Just the "sludge" discussions on the first page of this thread were more than enough for me, thanks. :greetings10:

I'm not looking to change your mind, but I can't help but notice that the logic is faulty. Read the posts - the homeowner never needs to confront the "sludge" unless they choose the DIY route. You pay a reasonable amount to have the work done. End of story in 99.99% of the cases.

I don't like the idea of ripping into a major engine repair, there is dirty oil in the engine, some sludge in the oil pan, and I might skin my knuckles. Following your train of thought, I should not own a car. :confused:

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom