Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of hobbies. The main ones:

- Tournament chess

- Sailing

- Baking "artisan" breads and desserts

- Writing (mainly essay and creative nonfiction)

- Angel investing, entrepreneurial activities

- Day hiking

- Online courses

- Surfing

- Reading

Would love to get into woodworking in order to build small sailboats, canoes, and furniture. Have researched it but haven't taken many steps down the path. Just don't have the time!

I would also like to try out metalwork, EG making handcrafted armor and weapons, such as swords, likes, etc. I think that wold be really cool.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was happy to see all the reloaders here. I do that too, but am hardly an expert. I initially started doing it so I could make a bunch of light .38 Special loads for DW when she was getting started as a shooter. It was fun, so I kept at it for other calibers.

I have a friend who is a serious bench rest competitor, and the care he takes with his loads is simply amazing.

The only other hobby of mine that is even slightly unusual is fly tying. Again, I'm no expert but it's a great way to fill a winter evening.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
My hobby is almost exclusively flight simulation. I'm constantly amazed at the advancement in the current simulators (both X-Plane and FSX) and the realism they portray. I can fly anything from a Cessna 172 around the Puget Sound, or a Boeing 777 from Dublin to Boston depending on my mood. It just keeps getting better and better. Here's a sample.

Flight simulation is a hobby of mine too. I used to have a pretty sweet setup when we lived in a house and had room for it. FS9 has been my simulator of choice for the past 10 years.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I was happy to see all the reloaders here. I do that too, but am hardly an expert. I initially started doing it so I could make a bunch of light .38 Special loads for DW when she was getting started as a shooter. It was fun, so I kept at it for other calibers.

I have a friend who is a serious bench rest competitor, and the care he takes with his loads is simply amazing.

The only other hobby of mine that is even slightly unusual is fly tying. Again, I'm no expert but it's a great way to fill a winter evening.
Maybe we (the reloaders here) should start a thread on reloading? I don't reload a lot of rifle ammo anymore (but I did back in the day). I would agree that you can really get into many more details reloading that stuff. I even reloaded shotgun shells for years when I did a lot of trap shooting and dove hunting. However, I do still reload a lot of handgun ammo. Mostly 38's, 357's, 44 Specials and 44 mags. Happy to discuss if anyone is interested.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado

Not retired 'til next July (sooner depending on the employer and next project) but I do have hobbies that I have just never found enough time to truly enjoy.

Kayaking, fishing, SUP, metal detecting (I live on the Outer Banks of NC) but it seems that the best day for any of those happen to be the day I'm at work. So, in retirement I'm looking forward to having my choice of day.

Over the last ten years I've been involved in dog sport training. I have two German Shepherds that I train in what was known as Schutzhund sport and now known as IPO.

https://www.pedigreedatabase.com/art...tzhund-and-ipo

I have obedience ratings on both (BH), and a Tr1 tracking title on one. In RE I'll have the time for a proper daily training regimen instead of the weekends.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #66

OBX that is really cool about the dog training! One of my border collie fosters has been working in tracking a bit, and she and her owner love it! They also do fun stuff like dock diving, but the tracking has been super interesting for both of them.
I've seen local demos of shutshund type training and really was impressed. Hope you get to do more when you retire!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
When my did retired he got into some goofy hobbies. I recall he was into making lights that he would make a lampshade from an upside down white plastic bin drilled full of holes and insert these colored plastic nubs that provided color when the light was on. There is still one hanging in the laundry room at my Mom's place. If I start doing that, please just shoot me.
haha that's funny!. pretty amazing what people do.

Worse though is my MIL who has no hobbies, doesn't read, or do anything really.

Golfing is my biggest hobby, although my wife is teaching me to fish
Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post

haha that's funny!. pretty amazing what people do.

Worse though is my MIL who has no hobbies, doesn't read, or do anything really.

Golfing is my biggest hobby, although my wife is teaching me to fish
I think I would prefer making lampshades to golfing! :-)
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
My hobby is almost exclusively flight simulation. I'm constantly amazed at the advancement in the current simulators (both X-Plane and FSX) and the realism they portray. I can fly anything from a Cessna 172 around the Puget Sound, or a Boeing 777 from Dublin to Boston depending on my mood. It just keeps getting better and better. Here's a sample.

That is amazingly real! Such a smooth flight too! The credits at the end suggest you have a lot of equipment. If not for the entry costs, this is a hobby I might enjoy.

I had the original commercially available MS Flight Simulator (3.0?) way back, but without a joystick I crashed so many planes that I gave up on it.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Maybe we (the reloaders here) should start a thread on reloading? I don't reload a lot of rifle ammo anymore (but I did back in the day). I would agree that you can really get into many more details reloading that stuff. I even reloaded shotgun shells for years when I did a lot of trap shooting and dove hunting. However, I do still reload a lot of handgun ammo. Mostly 38's, 357's, 44 Specials and 44 mags. Happy to discuss if anyone is interested.
Check out 'TheHighRoad.org' or 'BrianEnos.com'. Enos is mostly competitive shooters. He used to, and still might offer free shipping on Dillion presses. The high road is very diverse in what folks are loading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Share a Hobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That is amazingly real! Such a smooth flight too! The credits at the end suggest you have a lot of equipment. If not for the entry costs, this is a hobby I might enjoy.

I had the original commercially available MS Flight Simulator (3.0?) way back, but without a joystick I crashed so many planes that I gave up on it.

At a minimum, I think you need a yoke, throttle, and pedals to really enjoy the game (mine are from Saitek). You also need a decent computer to run those simulators without hiccups, especially if you have a lot of add-ons.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
At a minimum, I think you need a yoke, throttle, and pedals to really enjoy the game (mine are from Saitek). You also need a decent computer to run those simulators without hiccups, especially if you have a lot of add-ons.

Thanks! Where could one find a basic list of must-have specs?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I know it's a joke but even though the stumps are dried out they are really heavy. Add the weight from the stakes, vise and hammers and they aren't going anywhere.

This is so much fun. You can make planters, troughs, leaf castings for stepping stones or birdbaths or jewelry, fountains. One drawback in our area is the weight of the Portland cement. It comes in 47 & 94 lb. bags but they only carry the 94 pounders. They weight almost as much as me and I have to struggle to move them. The bags of builders sand weight about 50 lbs. Helps keep me in shape.
These leaves are cement. I use them for necklace pendants. I paint them and some like these I seal in resin.
Neat stuff. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Thanks! Where could one find a basic list of must-have specs?

First you need to determine which simulator you want to run. I have tried both Microsoft Flight Simulator (on Windows systems) and X-Plane (on a Mac). I have a personal preference for Microsoft flight simulator.

Those are the minimum requirements for the last version of Microsoft flight simulator, FSX, which dates from 2006:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925724
and for the version I use, FS9 or FS2004:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823627/en-us

Here is the minimum required system for X-Plane:
http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/system-requirements/

However, if you plan to add a lot of add-ons, like custom airplanes or scenery, you definitely want to have a system that exceeds the minimum requirements.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Thank you! MS is no longer making Flight Simulator; I believe they sold it to a small company. It's interesting that the "best" flight simulator is still Windows based. I now have a MacBook Air and my old PC laptop has died. Unfortunately I can't justify buying a PC and all the trimmings for a hobby that might be short lived. At least, not until my car is paid off. But I will file this for future reference.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Those of us who collect sand are called "arenophiles." It comes from Greek -- lover of earth. I have 650 different samples from around the world. 150. Countries and all 50 states. Sand is not limited to beaches, but my collecting began on the beach in Cancun.
I've been to a lot of beaches, but only saved sand from one. I went swimming at that beach!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7709.jpg (798.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Another reloader here--38sp, 30-30, 30-06, .243 and shotgun. Mostly reload for the versatility on the rounds. Somewhat for the money/accuracy. Special shotgun rounds for the .410 for small game. Pointed tip 30-30 for the Savage--everyone else sells round nose intended for lever actions. Heavy and light bullets for the .243 depending on deer or varmints. Light load .38 for target practice.

Bought someone's reloads when I was starting out. Man, what is it some people have about hot loads? Most unpleasant shooting experience I've had in a while.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #78

Another dog trainer, in agility -- the routine where the dog jumps hurdles, runs through tubes, navigates teeter-totters, etc. Here's a picture of me and my protege after a recent trial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01853.JPG (304.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

@Sarah - Thanks, the fun is in developing the partnership with the dogs.

@Mr._Graybeard - Isn't it fun to see the dogs progress. I love each new step when all of a sudden you can see "the lighbulb come on". Congrats on that handful of ribbons.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXretire View Post
@Sarah - Thanks, the fun is in developing the partnership with the dogs.

@Mr._Graybeard - Isn't it fun to see the dogs progress. I love each new step when all of a sudden you can see "the lighbulb come on". Congrats on that handful of ribbons.
My mom has corgis and has done obedience and nosework for years. I appreciate it, but since I keep hounds I am mostly happy if I can keep them from actually climbing onto the table. Where they excel is in keeping the backyard raccoon-free (and since an idiot around the corner feeds the raccoons that is no mean feat). They also have a ball coming with me on the occasional small game hunt, but since I cannot trust them off the leash I do the freakshow thing where I put my belt through the handle of the leash so I can keep a grip on them and have my hands free.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote