Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement

I am new to the site but I would like to say how much I have enjoyed reading your experiences and knowledge of life as we all get older. Thank you and hope to keep following your journey.

Ah - good to read you again imoldernu - You sound sharp as ever and a pleasure to hear all goes well. Happy Christmas and best to you and yours - no more of those wind storms!

Great to hear from you imoldernu!

Is your CCRC a type A B or C?

May

Thanks for sharing again, Imoldernu. I've missed your posting. I have learned so much from you. Please come back more often!

May God grant you many more happy years AND a Merry Christmas as well. Aloha.

Thank you for posting. Have missed you! Have a lovely Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Kindest regards.

I remember the boating saga but thanks for "the rest of the story". Enjoy the rest of the season, imoldernu.

Great to hear from you imoldernu!

Is your CCRC a type A B or C?

Good question. Actually it's a type D... which involves rental, with only a one month deposit. So here are the different facilities:

Villas... which are houses and not actually a direct part of the CCRC as they were in the beginning (from 2000, to 2007) These are owned properties and and buildings. While there is no contract involved, owning a villa puts one on the preferred list to move into the other facilities, and offers free access to the rehab exercise facility.. There are now 79 villas.

Apartments... The 69 apartments are in a three level building one and two bedroom apartments.. Rental includes two meals a day in the (quite nice) dining room, free internet and cable TV, free transportation to doctors and hospitals, and scheduled mini bus trips for shopping, dining out, entertainment, twice a week housekeeping, and in house meeting and function rooms. also a library, coffee room (free coffee and cocoa) Hairdresser Shop (limited hours), and regular entertainment, bingo's lectures etc. The apartments are available as rentals... Current rates $2000/mo. for one person, and an additional $500 for the second person. All of the facility is modern, and well appointed.

Assisted living... 50 units. Info for the included care on the website. One and two BR units, which are nicely and warmly decorated. Not at all like the more austere nursing home type setting.

Bounce Back... rehab facility, inpatient units

Fitness center... high grade exercise center

Skilled nursing... 69 units, full care... Current rates about $70k to $75K/yr.

Alzheimer/ Dementia unit... separate building 60 units with open court.

Moving from one kind of residency to another is planned sequence as openings become available. For the 12 years we have lived here, this graduated lifestyle has worked for all of the people that we know, and (as I understand it), once admission to any facility has been approved continuous care will be available under medicaid if necessary, though initial residency requires a full medical and financial review.

Plan D is not too common, particularly in more upscale CCRC's. You can check for more info by looking for Liberty Village, Peru...or Simply the finest.

As an added side "perk", if we have out of town visitors we can rent an apartment, (a few of which are usually available) at very reasonable rates.... just a three minute walk from our house.

Welcome back, imoldernu. I missed your boating adventure, and just read it now. What a story for your lady friends to tell about almost becoming Bubba's lunch!

I missed it also and knew to go look for it due to this post. Funny story! At least you knew enough not to tell the ladies what was going on.

I looked at the date of this story, beginning of June 2016, and knew why I had missed it. My grandson was born 5/31/16 in NC and I was helping to watch my 3 grandchildren. Wonder what else I missed.

I missed it also and knew to go look for it due to this post. Funny story! At least you knew enough not to tell the ladies what was going on.

I looked at the date of this story, beginning of June 2016, and knew why I had missed it. My grandson was born 5/31/16 in NC and I was helping to watch my 3 grandchildren. Wonder what else I missed.

+1 Same here. First grandchild born last January; I sold house and downsized to condo; am now fully unpacked and settled; traveled for family events ,etc. so have been off the forum for awhile.

As always, a post from imoldernu is a great way to return. I will never view water in the bottom of a small boat in the same way......and hope I don't become one of those hefty widows who could make a boat less seaworthy!

Thanks for the saga, imoldernu! I always learn from and enjoy your posts.

:flowers:

For regular ER members, this won't be important, (just a ramble) but thought I'd do an update to an old post #134 about growing old(er), with a further reflections on what has happened with regard to the onset of memory problems.

The progress of AZ or dementia is a little different than what I had expected. Basically that there has been a wide separation between "smarts" (IQ) ... and memory. It's much as I thought before, but even more pronounced... a fact that is becoming more frustrating.

So here's a brief observation outlines the difference, and which may offer some insight into people in your own life who may be dealing with the same kind of frustration.

I don't think that my short term memory is directly related to the deeper intellect. If anything, it seems as if the ability to reason, to think things through, to relate experience to the analysis and solution of complex problems, and to have direct and rapid insight to an end game... is better than ever. Then comes the part about following up with the practical answer and then annunciating or framing it with words.

Thus the conversation goes... "All you have to do is read that article by....
um.... er... what's her name?" which invariably kills the conversation and leaves the listener wondering how to get out of an embarrassing situation.

And so I wonder... when you ask grandma about her youth, there's an blank or agonized look, because her brain is working, and the memory is there... but it won't come to the surface.

But back to the point... I think I am just as "smart" as I ever was. If anything, even wiser... but this doesn't translate into the physical and verbal abilities that fit in with what used to be normality. Aging in this case, comes with a new learning curve. How to handle those short term memory loss situations, like learning shortcuts in conversation to avoid the use of names, and places which are clear in the deeper brain cells, but don't come to the tongue to use in normal conversation.

The short term memory loss (What did I come in here for...?") is a little different. Instead of being a matter of social interaction, it's more a matter of understanding, and making peace with my inner self. A matter of dealing with frustration with self forgiveness and replacing angst with peace. Surprisingly, this is beginning to succeed. A work in progress.

Best leave this dark discussion, because it sounds like a downer when it's just a matter of reflection for myself. Enough. :facepalm:
......................................................................................

On a happier note... All's well here in Peru. Peaceful and just a little bit boring for a winter without snow. Fewer walks in the mall, and more flexing on our 1968 Vitamaster. The grass is green, despite the resurgence of below freezing temps. Just received the online copy of our Woodhaven Lakes newspaper, and am chomping at the bit to go back to our camp and turn on the water and the lights. Miss the woods, the animals, the lakes, the bicycling and the canoeing. Son Steve and wife Annie have bought a home (being built) in Sarasota... have just sold their home in Naperville. Annie retired last year as a government lawyer in SS and Steve will retire in June from his legal firm. In the interim before their new home is finished, they'll be living in our FL mfg home in Lake Griffiin Harbor in Leesburg. We're glad we kept it, and will sell it in the fall. Three other sons are doing fine, and all's well.

My kids don't know I post here, but am using ER as a kind of diary, which I'll copy and force them to read, sometime in the future. The personal stuff is just a trigger for my own memory... to keep track of the lies and as a sanity check. :)

I am not sure I know how AZ or dementia works but your writing is so cogent, flows well and quite eloquent so it's hard to imagine any memory issues. Thanks for this journal. I read every word. Your life is quite inspiring.

I am not sure I know how AZ or dementia works but your writing is so cogent, flows well and quite eloquent so it's hard to imagine any memory issues. Thanks for this journal. I read every word. Your life is quite inspiring.
It is inspiring that imoldernu shares. But isn't that the point of his post?

Take a read of the AZ boards. There are some really good writers who have AZ there.

I have a friend that was extremely intelligent and had early onset Alzheimer's. Looking back she had it at 50 but was not diagnosed until 62. She had a big vocabulary and was able to cover it up for years. It manifested by taking her forever to do her work. So she would bring it home and work all the time unless she was sleeping. Eventually she lost her job because she just couldn't do it. Everyone thought she had chemo brain because her cancer kept coming back and she had a ton of surgeries and chemo for years. Eventually she only talked about the past because I think it was the only thing she could remember. By 63 she could not follow a TV show or a conversation. She was very outgoing and loved to talk but as it progressed she could not add anything to a conversation. Now at 65 she is in a home and thankfully her cancer came back so she can be released from this hell. I hate this disease with a passion. Best wishes to you:))

............. Looking back she had it at 50 but was not diagnosed until 62. She had a big vocabulary and was able to cover it up for years. It manifested by taking her forever to do her work. So she would bring it home and work all the time unless she was sleeping. ...........
I've seen this characteristic in people with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder, including my own mother. There is just not enough concentration to complete a task in a timely manner. Whether it is tied in with Alzheimer's, I don't know.

My friend had many high level jobs and did them well. It was only when she hit 50 that she began to have problems. When I described the problem to the neurologist he said that was how Alzheimer's can manifest but because she was so young and had chemo everyone assumed it was chemo brain. However, that goes away after awhile. When I was young an engineer at our company was brilliant and got it at 49. Very sad.

Thanks so much for posting and updating this thread, imoldernu! Such helpful info and insight. We are in our 2nd year of FIRE, and I find your perspective and experience extremely inspiring. I look forward to future updates.

Imoldernu, I've only very recently joined ER and I've become engrossed in your posts. You are inspirational and tutorial, yet modest. Please keep posting.

AZ forum? Is that here? I too appreciate all these posts. Most of the information out there is not from the person experiencing the AZ. I am sure there are many on here having a similar experience and it is good to know what the future may hold for them.

I can relate to TravelOver with the ADD and would love to learn more. I have felt I had ADD for many years.

I have enjoyed all of your posts imoldernu! Being in the early phase of retirement, your thoughts & experiences have given me a lot to think about. Best wishes to you and your wife. Thank you for sharing!

Hi Imoldernu,

Allow me to say, I too am one of your fans! At 67 I deeply appreciate the peek you give us at the road ahead---if we are so fortunate as to get to travel there. Many thanks and all the best! :greetings10:

Having kept some notes on our retirement, I am thinking to share them here as an overview of the ways my bride and I managed to stay out of the working world since 1989. We live simply, with no travel, and apart from any expensive social life, though our life in retirement communities FL and IL, is very social.

___

Everyone has different ideas on what retirement should be. One size does not fit all.

I have some thoughts and experiences to share, not as recommendations, but just as food for thought.

First, we've been retired for almost 23 years, so a lot of our experience will not be the same as yours.

With no pension (assets from pension plan were used for starting a small business... no net gain or loss) retirement started out as "give it a try"... if it doesn't work out, go back to work... Retirement prompted by a cancer scare.

Age 53 to age 65 was tough from the health insurance angle... Even then, before medicare kicked in @ age 65, we paid about $11,000/yr... BTW... medicare is not free... we still pay about $8,000/yr (2 persons) for medicare and supplement, and another thousand for basic Pharma.

Social Security... Important to check with SS for your expected benefits. Just a phone call or visit to SS office. Has to do with how much you put in... Husband and wife... Higher income sets base SS for couple... If the smaller payout is less than 1/2 of the larger, that spouse gets 1/2. If the second income is over 1/2 of the larger, then that amount is paid. In my case, even though my wife worked, her calculated SS would have been less tha 1/2, so she gets 1/2 of my payment. (Even if she had never worked, she would still get 1/2 of my SS. It's just the way the rules are written.)

In my case, I had always maxed the pay in. We took SS at age 62 so it was a reduced amount. We began receiving checks in 1999, and currently receive (2 of us)(with cumulative COLA's) a total of nearly $23,000/yr. $15K for me, $7500 for my bride. That was the max at that time... it's higher now of course.

At the time we decided to retire, we had a detailed plan... a budget... income and outgo... and looking back 22 years, despite huge variances from our initial plan, we are almost exactly on the budget.

There are hundreds of financial planners on line where you put in your estimates of assets, and return and inflation, and come up with the amount you need to retire. In our case it doesn't work... All of the planners make the assumption that you will want to maintain your asset capital until you die... In our case, had we followed their plan, we NEVER would have retired.

We just decided to die at age 85... dead broke. Made our planning much easier. Personal decision of course, but if you plan to spend down capital assets, it makes planning easier.

Our plan is extremely simple... On the spending side, we have three different budgets that we can adjust as circumstances warrant. Best case... Nominal... and Austerity.

On the Asset/Nest Egg side, We boil our assets down into three categories.

1. Fixed assets... house, auto, and other valuable non cash items... real property, jewelry, . We do not count household goods... (experience tells us that this is not realistic)

2. Non Income producing assets... bank accounts, cash, cash value life insurance policies.

3. Income producing assets... stocks, bonds, annuity.

All of these items are kept on a spread sheet and periodically updated. It's easy to come up with a total value... and then to average the income from the total...

To calculate where we stand in our retirement plan, we add

a. Social security amount.

b. Amount of interest earned on income producing assets.

c. ... and add the Total Assets divided by the number of years between now and age 85.

That establishes how much we can spend, which we then adjust to our best/nominal/austerity budget.

Sounds funky, but it works,and it takes about 2 minutes to tell if we're on budget or not.

The second part of this budgeting thing, is that we've been blessed by not having any debt. All of this makes for very simple accounting. One more thing... we don't try to calculate for inflation. In fact, it has not been a problem over the past 20 years. This may have to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thank you !!! This is very helpful from someone wanting to retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

imoldernu. Great Stuff!

heh heh heh heh - And a great thread. :greetings10: :cool:

Back
Top Bottom