Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement

Thanks for giving us (and me as I reach 72 in a month) a glimpse into the future and some key reminders as to what's in store for many of us.

Love to read your thoughts and insights, such wisdom is invaluable, thanks for taking the time to share it.

Thanks for the update. I appreciate your posts and the insight.

Bump! Time for an update.

An update on the Alzheimers... A little hard to quantify. Pretty much what you've heard, but now it's personal, and I am able to look at specifics... Surely boring to most, but for whatever purpose, some 1st person observations.

The last thing I want is a doctor's diagnosis. To what purpose? A few months delay of symptoms? No! the kiss of death... no driving, and a branding that will last for the remaining days or years.

I hesitate to mention this, because I know you have made your choice on this. On the other hand, other people read the thread and I wanted to say something that might be relevant to others facing a similar situation..

The problem with self-diagnosing Alzheimers is that that there are sometimes other things that cause cognitive impairment other than Alzheimers, some of which might be treatable.

I do understand why many would find an official Alzheimers diagnosis unhelpful to them. But, the flipside exists. What if the cause of problems is something else entirely? I think this is a factor that should be considered.
http://www.early-retirement.org//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

+++++ Very informative and much appreciated. I'm a youngster at 65 but the view at 15 + years down the road is very informative and useful. You write very well by the way...

Thank you for documenting your retirement. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I always appreciate your posts. They are honest and real. They almost always strike a chord. Thank you for your insight.

Thank you for sharing your journey. Great post.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I agree with the poster that said something else might be causing it. I also read that some people that think they have dementia are fine once their real medical problems are resolved. I think it is worth a try. A good friend of mine got it at age 50 but was not diagnosed until age 62. The last year she has significantly declined & it is heartbreaking to watch. Sadly her hubby has been caring for her but now he is also too sick to continue. Such a horrible illness & love your posts. They are very real & I can feel your personality through them.

Love to read your thoughts and insights, such wisdom is invaluable, thanks for taking the time to share it.

+1 I have read this thread several times and I am sure that I will read it again. I am glad that I have been able to "meet" you, even if it was only over the computer. Thanks for your wisdom and thoughts.

I agree with the poster that said something else might be causing it. I also read that some people that think they have dementia are fine once their real medical problems are resolved. I think it is worth a try. A good friend of mine got it at age 50 but was not diagnosed until age 62. The last year she has significantly declined & it is heartbreaking to watch. Sadly her hubby has been caring for her but now he is also too sick to continue. Such a horrible illness & love your posts. They are very real & I can feel your personality through them.

As a geriatric psychiatrist I agree you owe yourself at least a few blood tests which might reveal reversible causes of memory loss.

The way I am understanding the post at age 85 the only income will be SS and there will be no homes left. Rent for an apartment will need to come from the SS income.

Hiatus

Hmm... No news is good news.
Thanks to all for your kind thoughts.
DW and I continue in reasonably good health and good spirits. Just re-read some of the old posts and realize how "wordy" I can be. :blush: and how many inconsistencies there were during my ego trip.

Went back to my Florida "home" at Lake Griffin Harbor for the first time in nearly 4 years with my daughter-in law (first time since June 2012)... and found that everything was just the way we left it, except for a sticky shower valve and a few "flat" golf cart tires and "dead" 2009 batteries...all was in perfect condition. Amazing!!! We were prepared for almost anything. One Palmetto bug (cockroach) lying dead on his back in the middle of the living room. Based on this, we... DW and I are going to try to go back for a few months in the Fall.

It was so much fun being back... even if just for 10 days. Went to a great "Western" concert in the clubhouse the day we got there, and to the annual Western Dance the next Saturday. Full house... 150 attendance and so many old friends that by evening end I was dizzy. About 80 new residents that I didn't know, but was introduced to during the dance. Nothing has changed. Happy people... loving community all dedicated to enjoying life. Ya gotta be there to appreciate it. Price has gone up from $10/couple to $14/couple... Fantastic, incredible, full dinner buffet... including all the beer wine or soft drinks you can handle. This was a 2-kegger.... Great four piece Western Band, and the dance floor was filled all night long. I even managed to get up for the "Electric Slide"... twice. We all should get to experience this kind of true "community"... The newer, younger couples have taken up the activities to a super busy level.

Update... Money's holding up... our frugality is so built in that we've forgotten how to spend. Still have the 96 SLS and the 98 Town car, which should likely be the last cars we'll ever buy. The only mileage is the 1/4 mile trip to Aldi's, and the 1 1/2 mile trip to the Mall and my trips to Woodhaven (26 miles each way). DW is still into Bridge a few days a week, and I visit at the Liberty Village apartments for "gab sessions" and to the local Methodist church for the classes on the Pastor's specialty... "The dead Sea Scrolls". Other than that, not much intellectual stimulation. Even the local library's most challenging course is adult coloring books.

Fortunately our kids come to visit often and we're always in touch, on-line. For some reason, the slower lifestyle is not boring. Still canoeing and biking in the warm weather.

Dr. visits show pretty good health for both of us. This fall, when getting approval to use the "Bounce Back" exercise center, found out that I have AFIB...Now that I've done my medical reading and found out the details, I realize that it's not debilitating, and a semi annual echo cardiogram will keep an eye on any problems.

Sheesh... boring life, eh what? We're probably the happiest bored people around. Still do whatever we want, whenever we want. Haven't even thought about money in ages, but watch the markets like a hawk, Still go to Zero Hedge and Of Two Minds daily, and swing between CNBC, Bloomberg, Al Jazeera and Fox Business on the TV.

Trapped by the political news along with most of America.

As to the Alzheimers? Learning new tricks to handle the most obvious memory loss... like the pregnant pause in discussions when the mind goes blank... in almost every case, the missing word is filled in by the other person, and they don't even realize that there is no "there" there. :) The extra trips to the car, or the mailbox or into the garage for things not remembered, I chalk up to "exercise".

Bought an exercise "VitaMaster" bike for $8 at our new Salvation Army Store, and both DW and I are doing a half hour of "light" riding every day, in lieu of the Mall walking, which was becoming boring.

So that's the "me" thing.

The break in service was a rest period. Kinda like a fix for becoming too boring. Still alive and kicking, but the world is moving faster, and it's getting harder to keep up. So far, have only peeked at the current posts, and expect it to take some time to get back in the swing. Have done some minor posting on other websites, but ER is the most fun.

Kindest regards to the ER regulars and "Hi" to the newer members. :greetings10:
I hope to rejoin the community as an active participant.

Welcome back, imoldernu! I missed you.

Welcome back, imoldernu! Glad to hear you and your DW are doing well. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Glad to see that things are going well for you and your wife. Nothing wrong with "boring" if you are enjoying it!

Thanks for the PM. I tried to reply, but your inbox is full!

Welcome back. I really missed you on here.

No news IS good news. Welcome back.

Nice to see you here again. I like the wordy posts.

Back
Top Bottom