Should banks have opened today?

Boho

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I wanted to get the last bit of money out of an old account that's managed by someone else and put it in a B&M bank in New York City, so I walk there (you have to go in person for a secured credit card) in the snow and it's closed. Their other location a few blocks away is closed too, and so are two different nearby banks. Citibank didn't even have a sign but "America's Most Convenient Bank" and New York Community Bank did. Are any banks good about being open in bad weather? Dunkin' Donuts, a pizzeria, and my local grocery were open. The only other place I wanted to go was the bank.

Attachments

• bank-snow.jpg
    bank-snow.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 49
Nope. Should not open. I'm in California and a significant amount of evening news reporting multi car accidents back on the East coast due to weather are a daily occurrence. If people are too slow witted to not drive when the governor has declared a state of emergency, one of your photos stipulates that, then closing businesses might help them with the decision. I understand you walked, didn't drive, but most people drive and rarely think about the dangers when hard weather hits.

NYC subways were operating, no? Banks are awash in money these days, so there's little incentive to be competitive. When rates rise that'll change.

NYC subways were operating, no?

Depends where the employees live doesn't it?
The subway is only good for the five boroughs.

In addition the NYC public schools were closed, so parents would have to scramble for daycare.

Yes one might think that. I w*rked many situations where contingency plans were executed (live) for the first time. Funny how much stuff doesn't work. If it did I probably would have had to find real w*rk.:sly:

Depends where the employees live doesn't it?
The subway is only good for the five boroughs.

In addition the NYC public schools were closed, so parents would have to scramble for daycare.
Also depends on their ability to get cash and have excess cash transported out of the bank. So for the bank this is a security of funds issue. If the armored trucks could get through the city streets, most banks would be open. As someone else said, they do have contingency plans for being open.

- Rita

Back
Top Bottom