Skydiving, oh geez

No - I remember the instructor giving this warning some 30 years ago when we jumped - but I haven't heard of a tongue being bitten off on landing. Maybe the instructor was joking, but this warning stuck in my mind ever since.

Don - thanks for the great video! Looks like everyone had a great time.

No, I totally believe that you might bite off your tongue. What I thought was funny was the tongue loss warning, followed by "and good luck and happy skydiving."

Uh, I'll try, but I may be too worried about losing my tongue to enjoy the skydiiving very much. :)

Ha

My son's friend went skydiving. He told me that all the gas comes out of you when you go out of the plane (as in farting). Just sayin'.:whistle:

No, I totally believe that you might bite off your tongue. What I thought was funny was the tongue loss warning, followed by "and good luck and happy skydiving."

Uh, I'll try, but I may be too worried about losing my tongue to enjoy the skydiiving very much. :)

Ha

Ok - now I get your point, and I guess I kinda jumped directly from tragedy to a 'have fun' statement. But I didn't intend it to be sarcasm. I'm sure the trainers will train MW to the point where nothing bad will happen and he'll have a good time.

:LOL:At least for a few minutes I won't be worrying about what the stock market did :LOL:

I certainly give you credit for finding a very creative way to take your mind off the stock market, however extreme and short lived the reprieve!

No double meaning on short lived;): just it isn't a very long ride down timewise:).

I should add that my father was a Paratrooper in WW II and he never showed any interest in jumping out of planes after the war. That told me something...

If I jumped out of a plane there would be a steady yellow stream following me...:LOL:

My son's friend went skydiving. He told me that all the gas comes out of you when you go out of the plane (as in farting). Just sayin'.:whistle:

I'm often reminded by DW that really is all I have to offer anyway. I guess it should be liberating??:blush:

I should add that my father was a Paratrooper in WW II and he never showed any interest in jumping out of planes after the war. That told me something...
I've never had any more interest since I left college. I don't know if that's because of the time, the expense, the marriage, or the kid...

Did some diving in the mid 70's. The technology then was mostly round canopies. Occasionally we saw a delta-type. The lightweight round gear was evolving, and the square canopies were starting to appear, but all my experience was on rounds. All solo exits, never tandem.

Trained on 28' LoPo's (surplus low porosity ripstop nylon). 5 static line jumps then freefall, starting with hop-and-pops at 3000' incrementing up to 30 second delays and later, 45 seconds.

Eventually bought a 23' French Papillon with Stylemaster harness and containers -- very nice rig for that era, a little dated but in almost new condition -- very heavy and bulky and antique by today's standards. The canopy was made of zero-porosity taffeta, had lots of vents, and was very controlable. The French Pap was a dream to use. Made a stand-up landing the first time I used it.

The equipment is just so much better now than it was 35 years ago.

I am scared of heights too, but on jump run you probably won't be thinking about the height. Once you are out of the airplane you will probablyof if like it. Have fun!

There I was at 3000 feet with just two silkworms and a treadle sewing machine . . .

Two friends from w*rk went together to learn skydiving. When they got back from their first tandem jumps, one began ragging on the other (in front of all of us land lubbers at break). Apparently, the poor guy passed out on the way down. It got quite a laugh from everyone until I asked how many of the "laughers" had ever tried it. The silence was deafening.

Another acquaintance at work had jumped over 1000 times. One routine jump, he got a little close to a building near the drop zone and the building completely spoiled the wind he was pushing into. He dropped 30 feet like a stone and broke (forget the number - but it was many) bones upon impact. He was near death and barely survived. It was 6 months before he returned to w*rk. I'll give him this (or maybe I'll criticize him for it): He went back and continued jumping. It's not for me, but I admire folks who can conquer such fear - even if it's of their own making.

If you volunteer to jump first you don't have to watch people jumping out and if you look inside the plane on the way up you will only have the moment of exit to be anxious about height. It's a great ride enjoy!!!

Two friends from w*rk went together to learn skydiving. When they got back from their first tandem jumps, one began ragging on the other (in front of all of us land lubbers at break).

The military slang for non-paratroopers is.... legs.

I always thought that was a two-syllable word pronounced "lay-egs", usually with a profane modifier or three...

That is correct. My word-smithing is not as good as yours.

Edit add: I need to learn how to express good southern drawl in writin'

Last edited:
Mentioning military reminds me of the guy I got talking to at the gym after I busted my knee. He was wearing a T-shirt with a HALO slogan on the front (the acronym stands for high altitude low open). HALO teams jump from way way up and free fall to way low, where they pop the canopy and suddenly appear on your doorstep. He had a lot of interesting tales but the most interesting were about high open drops (had a different acronym I can't remember). In any event, they would night jump at high altitude with air tanks and open immediately. They would then fly the canopy to their targets 20-30 miles away. Scary guy. He showed me his scars and suggested I get back on the horse that threw me right away - but I'm riding the bike instead :)

Well, I'm happy to report we survived. Ended up going with both my DD's yesterday evening.

We were all nervous but it ended up being an awesome experience. The freefall was a rush and the canopy ride was beautiful. I did not expect to say this, but I would do it again. Although I have no plans. Cross this one off the bucket list!

Thanks to all the advice above. I'm happy to report no deaths, drool, crotch discomfort, tongue biting, or broken patella. I'm unsure about the gas but if that occured it was while dropping 120mph so it probably did not disturb anybody.

The best part (besides surviving) was doing it with my two daughters. That part will always be special. And we have the videos to relive it.

If you've ever thought about this I recommend it!

Next up for me........bull riding :D

Next up for me........bull riding :D

Uh... you've seem to embraced a "unique" approach to ensuring you expire :angel: before your money as you :whistle: pass the graveyard in your new challenges!

Congratulations on your successful return to earth.

I'm delighted to know that you survived! :cool:

Congratulations. Resume normal breathing.

Back
Top Bottom