Sleep With Spouse or Separate?

First 35 years DW and I slept in the same full sized bed. A couple of years ago we got a nice king bed, now I sometimes have to look to see if she's there. Of course of 38 years there were about 150 nights a year when I was on the road. Looking forward to ER in 42 days!

For some reason I read the title as "Sleep with spouse or someone else"?

So I got nothing to contribute here :D

First 35 years DW and I slept in the same full sized bed. A couple of years ago we got a nice king bed, now I sometimes have to look to see if she's there. Of course of 38 years there were about 150 nights a year when I was on the road. Looking forward to ER in 42 days!

Full sized bed? Wow!! That is intimate. I am single and thin framed and I sleep alone in a king size bed by myself. I love the space to roll around...When GF stays there is plenty of space. But she would never be allowed to stay over if I had a queen...That is not enough space for a roamer like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps I attach to much to it... But I disagree with ivinsfan... I sleep better snuggled next to my husband and find it much harder to fall asleep without him. I think that physical closeness and physical contact while we are asleep translates into a stronger connection when we are awake. But that's just my opinion... and it may not translate to another couple.

My DW agrees with you.

.... I've been told I snore at times. I don't believe it.

DW used to make the same claim. Her snoring woke me up one morning and my Blackberry was within arm's reach so I videoed her for a minute. Later plugged it into the 46" HDTV and played it.... it was a big hit.... with the kids!!

DW used to make the same claim. Her snoring woke me up one morning and my Blackberry was within arm's reach so I videoed her for a minute. Later plugged it into the 46" HDTV and played it.... it was a big hit.... with the kids!!
At least now you know why you are sleeping alone. :LOL:

We sleep together in a king size bed with a cat and two small dogs. Some nights, I think separate rooms and pets might be a good idea.😉

We did sleep in separate guest rooms for about 4 weeks one when our master bedroom and bath were being remodeled. We both enjoyed our improved quality of sleep, but in the end, we like being together more.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I've found it interesting that when we've toured some old houses (Biltmore) or stayed at some larger B&B's that old money used to have separate rooms for the man and woman. I'm not certain, but I think the term "master" in master bedroom or master suite might have come from being the room the man or "master" stayed in. At any rate, I don't think it's all that uncommon to have separate sleeping arrangements.

Personally, still together in a king size bed, but no hesitation about sleeping on a couch or the in the other bedroom if that's where one of us fall asleep. As for snoring, we have a rule that you don't wake the other person up for snoring. That's what ear plugs are for.

This is a timely topic as my nightmares are getting worse and sometimes I dream that someone is attacking me so I start punching DH in the head until he wakes up yelling. We have been standing up a pillow between us but last night I reached right over it. WE have 3 small dogs that sleep with us. He said if this continues I will be in guest bed. I don't think the dogs will like it. Ugh!

This is a timely topic as my nightmares are getting worse and sometimes I dream that someone is attacking me so I start punching DH in the head until he wakes up yelling. We have been standing up a pillow between us but last night I reached right over it. WE have 3 small dogs that sleep with us. He said if this continues I will be in guest bed. I don't think the dogs will like it. Ugh!

Maybe the dogs can stay with DH and not go to the guest bed with you? :)

The dogs are much more attached to me so that would be a problem.

In Walden Two by BF Skinner there's a discussion between characters about this. By and large the residents found separate quarters preferable after childbearing years. Hadn't thought about that book in a long time, wonder where I put it?

The most lovey dovey, affectionate in all ways, couple that I know sleeps in different bedrooms.

+1
These people are absolutely inseparable except at night. Both are prodigious snorers and have used separate bedrooms since very early in their marriage (over 40 years ago).

I notice that you are a teacher? Are your nightmares related to that? I am retired, but have had nightmares related to my old education related job.

:D:D:D:dance::dance::dance::D:D:D:dance::dance::dance:

(interpretation is left up to the reader)

We are together in a queen sized bed. We've never had a tv in the bedroom but we each have a reading light clipped to the headboard and DH has an assortment of radios and an internet streaming computer setup. He likes to fall asleep while listening to something with a small speaker under his pillow. He's got it set up so that I never hear it.

We used to have issues with snoring. Then I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started on a CPAP machine. DH read all the info I brought home and realized he also had many of the symptoms. After a sleep test for him and diagnosis we ended up with matching CPAP machines. Takes a lot of the "ick" factor out of it when we are both using them.

DH is retired and I get up every morning with an alarm so I put my clothes out the night before and get dressed in the bathroom or the extra room where my computer is. DH used to do the same when he worked and got up before me.

Nice suggestion to get two blankets! Our winter comforter is just a little skimpy width wise and sometimes one of us will pull the cover off the other one.

The only time we've slept in different rooms is when I had my hip replacement. I needed to be able to get out of bed on the left side while recovering and that's DH's side in our bedroom. Switching sides would have been a lot of work including moving furniture to have enough room for the walker, so I stayed in the extra room with a single bed.

No it is not related to work. Actually I worked in human services (social worker and then psychological testing) for my career and it was only after I retired that I started to teach. I teach a class at the college which I really love doing. Everyone in my family of origin had terrible nightmares as kids and some carried it into adulthood. 2 of my 3 boys have it too. It also used to include sleep walking/talking, etc. It is always someone chasing or hurting me so I start hitting them. For now I put up 2 huge pillows to block between the 2 of us. Hopefully, I can't reach over it like I did with the small pillow that was between us.

No it is not related to work. Actually I worked in human services (social worker and then psychological testing) for my career and it was only after I retired that I started to teach. I teach a class at the college which I really love doing. Everyone in my family of origin had terrible nightmares as kids and some carried it into adulthood. 2 of my 3 boys have it too. It also used to include sleep walking/talking, etc. It is always someone chasing or hurting me so I start hitting them. For now I put up 2 huge pillows to block between the 2 of us. Hopefully, I can't reach over it like I did with the small pillow that was between us.

That's tough. I used to have terrible nightmares as a child, but I managed to get over them. I hope the pillows work!

Back
Top Bottom