Sling TV

jim584672

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
"The $20 Sling TV base package includes ESPN, ESPN2, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, TNT, CNN, TBS, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and the "best of Internet video" with Maker Studios. Add-on packs with additional kids and news programming will be available for $5 each."

While $20 for these channels over the Internet is too rich for me, it might be a good choice for others looking to cut the cable TV cord. Sling TV plus Netflix plus OTA is almost a cable replacement.

Last edited:
ICBW: From what I understand you also must have a subscription with Direct TV.

Looks like no DISH subscription is needed.

"Sling TV is a U.S.-only service offered from DISH that allows you to watch the channels you'd typically find on basic cable for $20 a month without a contract, subscription to DISH or any pesky cable equipment on your roof or in your living room."

Sling TV is a broadband-only service. It represents a pricing model that people are going to need to get used to. They will offer bundles of additional channels, probably in groups of five or so channels for about $10 each. I suspect each additional bundle will be primarily made up of channels from the same company, i.e., Bravo, Chiller, Cloo, E!, and USA.

If a person chose this method but has 3 separate Tvs in the house, how many "ancillary" products would have to be purchased to run all three TVs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't researched SlingTV, but I assume since it is a broad and service you would use a Roku or Apple TV or something similar to "catch" the content off your home wifi and play it to a TV. You need one device if you only watch one TV at a time and don't mind moving the Roku each TV as you use it. Most likely you will want a device on each TV. I have purchased three Roku boxes in the last five years, they each cost $50-100. If you already are set up to stream (I.e. Netflix or Amazon Prime) you may not need anything else.

If you can get good OTA reception for your local network stations and just want to add ESPN, Sling TV is a bargain compared to cable TV.

I was afraid of that Phillie. I currently pay about $110 and have a healthy selection of channels. But those channels do occupy over 50% of my viewing. But I do not live close enough to receive OTA broadcasts. Plus I would have to upgrade my lower lever DSL to UVerse. ATT sends me weekly mailings to do this but then my monthly cable bill jumps $20 as they require a monthly $7 fee for their router and you cannot buy one. Add in the costs of buying all the Rokus the savings just isn't there for me as I still have no local channels either.
Actually the cable fees for programming I believe are still quite reasonable, it is all the add on fees of HD, DVR, individual receiver monthly fees that annoy the hell out of me.

So I looked at the cable bill up at the lake house ... $27 for 12 channels.

Sling tv looks pretty similar .... $20 for 13 channels.

Need a roku (i think)

If a person chose this method but has 3 separate Tvs in the house, how many "ancillary" products would have to be purchased to run all three TVs?

I read in the initial press release that each device needs its own sling thing. That's why the pricing works for them, I guess

... the savings just isn't there for me ...
I think this will be the conclusion most folks will come to. Subscription video entertainment won't get significantly less expensive in the future. It'll just get packaged more different ways.

I have a single Dish receiver that sends HD output to 3 different TVs by using HDMI splitters. The Dish receiver also allows for using a remote in a different room, which may break your Roku/Sling option, but it may be an option since I think you're like me, single viewer who doesn't mind having to watch the same thing on any TV. If running HDMI cables is an issue, there are also wireless HDMI options, though mine was pretty unreliable and I had to go wired.

Just signed up for the seven day trial. Installed the channel on the Roku's and downloaded the Android app. It works well on all. Easy interface to switch channels.

We dropped cable this year. Went to OTA, Amazon, and now Sling TV. Old cost for TV and Internet, 25mb, was $120 a month. New cost is $35 internet, about $8.50 for amazon, and $20 for Sling TV.

I have a single Dish receiver that sends HD output to 3 different TVs by using HDMI splitters. The Dish receiver also allows for using a remote in a different room, which may break your Roku/Sling option, but it may be an option since I think you're like me, single viewer who doesn't mind having to watch the same thing on any TV. If running HDMI cables is an issue, there are also wireless HDMI options, though mine was pretty unreliable and I had to go wired.

This would mean you would have to run separate cables from the receiver itself correct? That means the already there cable wiring and outlets would not be able to be used for this, correct?

This would mean you would have to run separate cables from the receiver itself correct? That means the already there cable wiring and outlets would not be able to be used for this, correct?
I didn't find a way to get HD over Coax, so yes, I had to run HDMI cables to the other TVs. If you have Cat 5 (ethernet) cables run, I'm pretty sure you can use those with some kind of converter/adapter.

Just signed up for the seven day trial. Installed the channel on the Roku's and downloaded the Android app. It works well on all. Easy interface to switch channels.

We dropped cable this year. Went to OTA, Amazon, and now Sling TV. Old cost for TV and Internet, 25mb, was $120 a month. New cost is $35 internet, about $8.50 for amazon, and $20 for Sling TV.

How is the picture quality? Consumer Reports stated Sling TV's quality didn't match regular CATV HD.

How is the picture quality? Consumer Reports stated Sling TV's quality didn't match regular CATV HD.

So far 1080P Quality 95% of the time. We use a wireless extender for the TV and still working on the wireless channels to get best picture. The issue is not Sling TV for us but or in house wireless network. A reboot of the extender fixes it for a few days.

So far 1080P Quality 95% of the time. We use a wireless extender for the TV and still working on the wireless channels to get best picture. The issue is not Sling TV for us but or in house wireless network. A reboot of the extender fixes it for a few days.

Thanks! May have to give it a try.

BTW, I've had good luck with this HD wireless extender: Peerless HDSWHDI100. It tends to either work perfectly (i.e., no noticeable quality loss from the original picture) or not connect at all. It's current going about 70' through two walls and one floor. It doesn't use the data WiFi that our laptops/etc. use but rather its own.

You can also use sling with the Amazon USB/HDMI stick or TV box. The USB stick is $39 and works like a champ.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Back
Top Bottom