Join Early Retirement Today

Smartphone, Computer, Tablet or Combo
Old 11-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Smartphone, Computer, Tablet or Combo

Breakdown of ownership according to Pew Research:

Quote:
As the world grows increasingly digital, choices abound for ways to tap into it. And for many Americans, one device isnít enough.

A new Pew Research Center analysis finds that 66% of Americans own at least two digital devices Ė smartphone, desktop or laptop computer, or tablet Ė and 36% own all three
Smartphone, computer or tablet? 36% of Americans own all three | Pew Research Center

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #2

Count me in - one of each.

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windows Tablet
Ipad Mini
Iphone
Laptop
Desktop
Yep, got them all! DW has all three.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have all three. However, since I got an iPad, I have used my desktop far less often, unexpectedly so (the iPad was a gift). I know I will never buy another desktop...

I seriously doubt most of today's users will have desktops/laptops in 10-20 years. By then tablets, if not smartphones, & the cloud will do everything 90% of today's computer users would/have ever done. For those who want/need a bigger screen, mirroring to TV screens is an easy answer, already available. Only serious coders, graphics & gamers may be using desk/laptops years from now...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I am more of an oddball, probably. I possess a Chromebook and iPad, but no laptop, desktop, or smartphone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: Fort Myers, FL by Winter - Lake of the Ozarks, MO by Summer
Gots to be connected

Desktop - Have not powered on in two years
IPad - Wife Uses daily
Mini IPad - Wife uses daily
4 Laptops - two get used daily by me, other two have not been powered on in over a year
Each has a smart phone .....
Old 11-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Smartphone, laptop and tablet. These days I am a Mac user.

I travel with my iPad and iPhone, which doubles as my camera.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

One of each for me too. Lenovo Thinkpad laptop, Kindle Fire tablet and Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone.

I prefer my laptop when typing (like now), my tablet for reading or surfing sites that I don't need to type on and my smartphone when traveling around.

When traveling recently, I started using my tablet with a bluetooth keyboard and that worked ok but I still prefer the laptop. Old habits die hard.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've got a desktop (one I use regularly, others are more for testing) and a laptop and an old flip phone. No tablet or smartphone.

I'm a bit tempted to get a tablet or smartphone to bring along on a trip, but decide to just lug carry a laptop as I know for me the initial portability of carrying a smartphone or tablet will wear off when I cry bloody murder with no real keyboard and larger screen. Old habits die hard.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #10

laptop, smartphone and tablet for me.
laptop and smartphone for DW.

We haven't had a desktop in about 3 years.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Desktop, laptop, all-in-one (for dw), two tablets, two smartphones. Tablets used very little except for grandkids to play games and watch YouTube. I use laptop and then connect to desktop using rdp. Desktop has 4tb of disk so acts as a server. Smartphones are used most for browsing, messaging, and phone calls (of course).

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

-Desktop (used for backing up docs and pics mostly). I usually use RDC/RDP to it using a laptop both having SSD so connection is nice and smooth. No need for a keyboard or monitor to connect to the desktop.
-Galaxy 4 (wife) and 5 for cell phones
-Kindle, Kindle Fire and mini ipad
-Thinkpad T430s and older Thinkpads
-also PS3, Roku. Chromecast and MS Wireless adapter for mirroring stuff.

Like most people here, I use primarily the laptop instead of the desktop at home. I travel light when going to visit places. I take a backpack with a few clothes, laptop, tablets for reading and cell phone. I don't take any other luggage but I do take my hydration pack and I'm good to go.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Me:

Desktop (primary use)
Laptop (Lenovo 14.4") - not used much
Asus transformer (Android 3.X) with keyboard - in the closet
Toshiba Chromebook - My best friend away from the desktop
Moto G Smartphone - handy
iPhone 4S - In storage "just in case" - not activated

DW:

Desktop (primary use)
Laptop - I'll bet she doesn't know where it is
iPad - 2nd most used
iPhone 6S - handy all the time
Old 11-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #14

Imac, macbook, ipad, iphone for me

I primarily use the iMac at home, use the macbook on trips, use iPad while watching tv at home, use iPhone on the road

Ipad, iphone for DW

She uses iPad while in the house, iPhone on the road

And I still have my company HP laptop
Old 11-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
laptop, smartphone and tablet for me.
laptop and smartphone for DW.

We haven't had a desktop in about 3 years.
Same here on all counts. I also have a Kindle that was occasional, but is now being used regularly.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #16

Currently a desktop (on it's last legs), laptop and flips phones for DW and I. For work I have a smart phone and a high tech tablet. When I hang up work in a few months I still don't see any need for a smart phone. However, I'll probably pickup a tablet for travel use.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #17

I have them all these day. One of the benefits allowed in our generous FIRE budget.

I love reading books on the various devices and it's evolved over the years.

When I initially retired in early 2011 we spent some time on a sunny beach in the Caribbean. For this, I bought a Kindle 2 so I could read in the sunshine (had been using an iPad 1 with the Kindle app before this).

The Kindle was nice for reading. And eventually I bought a Kindle PaperWhite. I really liked its light up screen and the long long battery life.

Last year when I bought an iPad Air 2, I found I liked reading on it the best and switched to using the Kindle app on it in side-by-side mode (two pages showing like an open book). The iPad Air 2 was light enough to hold for a long time and the very high resolution make it easy on my eyes.

This fall I got an iPhone 6S+. I had used iPhones for reading in a pinch, but the smaller screens led to lots of page turning and I mostly did this in places like waiting rooms where I needed to pass some time. Anyway, the large screen on the 6S+ turns out to be the best reading screen yet. Roughly the size of a paper back book, the screen provides razor sharp text. I even like the feel of lightly sliding my finger to turn the page.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #18
Administrator

1) Laptop - - No desktop any more, but my high end laptop serves as a desktop replacement for me. My laptop is my main device and the one I care about most.

2) Tablet - - My iPad is pretty much a toy for me. It is fun, and all that, but not really something I use for anything intensive. I play sudoku on it and such.

3) Smartphone - - I carry an iPhone 5s, although I long for the old days with just a cheap Motorola flip phone. I don't often need or use most of my iPhone's features at all. I would go back but I suspect that all cell phones will be smart phones soon. "You can't go home again" and my nostalgia is just because I am older than dirt.

So yes, I have all three but I only feel a bond with my laptop.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
1) Laptop - - No desktop any more, but my high end laptop serves as a desktop replacement for me. My laptop is my main device and the one I care about most.

2) Tablet - - My iPad is pretty much a toy for me. It is fun, and all that, but not really something I use for anything intensive. I play sudoku on it and such.

3) Smartphone - - I carry an iPhone 5s, although I long for the old days with just a cheap Motorola flip phone. I don't often need or use most of my iPhone's features at all. I would go back but I suspect that all cell phones will be smart phones soon. "You can't go home again" and my nostalgia is just because I am older than dirt.

So yes, I have all three but I only feel a bond with my laptop.
We are all different. My go to device is my iPad (Air2). I am typing this post on it. I use it for everything from reading and watching movies and news (I don't have a TV) to reading books on the Kindle app and downloaded from the library, to finding how to videos on YouTube (cooking, home repair, etc), to reading email, mapping where I need to go, to downloading and reading Board agendas as PDFs, to printing the occasional page, to booking and checking in for flights, researching travel (there's a Trip Advisor app) to uploading my photos to the cloud. The list goes on. I use my laptop (MacBook Air 11") for the "heavy lifting" like banking, spreadsheet work and composing and formatting letters. It's very compact, excellent for travel, but I rarely take it with me since ER.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

For me, I'd go nuts not having a real keyboard or mouse for an extended period of time.
Yet, the portability of getting a cheap smart phone or tablet when traveling is tempting. Especially when Amazon is practically giving their lowest priced Fire Tablet.