Smartphone, Computer, Tablet or Combo

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Count me in - one of each.

I have all three. However, since I got an iPad, I have used my desktop far less often, unexpectedly so (the iPad was a gift). I know I will never buy another desktop...

I seriously doubt most of today's users will have desktops/laptops in 10-20 years. By then tablets, if not smartphones, & the cloud will do everything 90% of today's computer users would/have ever done. For those who want/need a bigger screen, mirroring to TV screens is an easy answer, already available. Only serious coders, graphics & gamers may be using desk/laptops years from now...
computer-shipments-2015.png

Last edited:
I am more of an oddball, probably. I possess a Chromebook and iPad, but no laptop, desktop, or smartphone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gots to be connected :)

Desktop - Have not powered on in two years
IPad - Wife Uses daily
Mini IPad - Wife uses daily
4 Laptops - two get used daily by me, other two have not been powered on in over a year
Each has a smart phone .....

Smartphone, laptop and tablet. These days I am a Mac user.

I travel with my iPad and iPhone, which doubles as my camera.

Last edited:
One of each for me too. Lenovo Thinkpad laptop, Kindle Fire tablet and Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone.

I prefer my laptop when typing (like now), my tablet for reading or surfing sites that I don't need to type on and my smartphone when traveling around.

When traveling recently, I started using my tablet with a bluetooth keyboard and that worked ok but I still prefer the laptop. Old habits die hard.

I've got a desktop (one I use regularly, others are more for testing) and a laptop and an old flip phone. No tablet or smartphone.

I'm a bit tempted to get a tablet or smartphone to bring along on a trip, but decide to just [-]lug [/-] carry a laptop as I know for me the initial portability of carrying a smartphone or tablet will wear off when I cry bloody murder with no real keyboard and larger screen. Old habits die hard. :)

laptop, smartphone and tablet for me.
laptop and smartphone for DW.

We haven't had a desktop in about 3 years.

Desktop, laptop, all-in-one (for dw), two tablets, two smartphones. Tablets used very little except for grandkids to play games and watch YouTube. I use laptop and then connect to desktop using rdp. Desktop has 4tb of disk so acts as a server. Smartphones are used most for browsing, messaging, and phone calls (of course).

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

-Desktop (used for backing up docs and pics mostly). I usually use RDC/RDP to it using a laptop both having SSD so connection is nice and smooth. No need for a keyboard or monitor to connect to the desktop.
-Galaxy 4 (wife) and 5 for cell phones
-Kindle, Kindle Fire and mini ipad
-Thinkpad T430s and older Thinkpads
-also PS3, Roku. Chromecast and MS Wireless adapter for mirroring stuff.

Like most people here, I use primarily the laptop instead of the desktop at home. I travel light when going to visit places. I take a backpack with a few clothes, laptop, tablets for reading and cell phone. I don't take any other luggage but I do take my hydration pack and I'm good to go.

Me:

Desktop (primary use)
Laptop (Lenovo 14.4") - not used much
Asus transformer (Android 3.X) with keyboard - in the closet
Toshiba Chromebook - My best friend away from the desktop
Moto G Smartphone - handy
iPhone 4S - In storage "just in case" - not activated

DW:

Desktop (primary use)
Laptop - I'll bet she doesn't know where it is
iPad - 2nd most used
iPhone 6S - handy all the time

Imac, macbook, ipad, iphone for me

I primarily use the iMac at home, use the macbook on trips, use iPad while watching tv at home, use iPhone on the road

Ipad, iphone for DW

She uses iPad while in the house, iPhone on the road

And I still have my company HP laptop

laptop, smartphone and tablet for me.
laptop and smartphone for DW.

We haven't had a desktop in about 3 years.
Same here on all counts. I also have a Kindle that was occasional, but is now being used regularly.

Currently a desktop (on it's last legs), laptop and flips phones for DW and I. For work I have a smart phone and a high tech tablet. When I hang up work in a few months I still don't see any need for a smart phone. However, I'll probably pickup a tablet for travel use.

I have them all these day. One of the benefits allowed in our generous FIRE budget.

I love reading books on the various devices and it's evolved over the years.

When I initially retired in early 2011 we spent some time on a sunny beach in the Caribbean. For this, I bought a Kindle 2 so I could read in the sunshine (had been using an iPad 1 with the Kindle app before this).

The Kindle was nice for reading. And eventually I bought a Kindle PaperWhite. I really liked its light up screen and the long long battery life.

Last year when I bought an iPad Air 2, I found I liked reading on it the best and switched to using the Kindle app on it in side-by-side mode (two pages showing like an open book). The iPad Air 2 was light enough to hold for a long time and the very high resolution make it easy on my eyes.

This fall I got an iPhone 6S+. I had used iPhones for reading in a pinch, but the smaller screens led to lots of page turning and I mostly did this in places like waiting rooms where I needed to pass some time. Anyway, the large screen on the 6S+ turns out to be the best reading screen yet. Roughly the size of a paper back book, the screen provides razor sharp text. I even like the feel of lightly sliding my finger to turn the page.

1) Laptop - - No desktop any more, but my high end laptop serves as a desktop replacement for me. My laptop is my main device and the one I care about most.

2) Tablet - - My iPad is pretty much a toy for me. It is fun, and all that, but not really something I use for anything intensive. I play sudoku on it and such.

3) Smartphone - - I carry an iPhone 5s, although I long for the old days with just a cheap Motorola flip phone. I don't often need or use most of my iPhone's features at all. I would go back but I suspect that all cell phones will be smart phones soon. "You can't go home again" and my nostalgia is just because I am older than dirt.

So yes, I have all three but I only feel a bond with my laptop.

1) Laptop - - No desktop any more, but my high end laptop serves as a desktop replacement for me. My laptop is my main device and the one I care about most.

2) Tablet - - My iPad is pretty much a toy for me. It is fun, and all that, but not really something I use for anything intensive. I play sudoku on it and such.

3) Smartphone - - I carry an iPhone 5s, although I long for the old days with just a cheap Motorola flip phone. I don't often need or use most of my iPhone's features at all. I would go back but I suspect that all cell phones will be smart phones soon. "You can't go home again" and my nostalgia is just because I am older than dirt.

So yes, I have all three but I only feel a bond with my laptop.

We are all different. My go to device is my iPad (Air2). I am typing this post on it. I use it for everything from reading and watching movies and news (I don't have a TV) to reading books on the Kindle app and downloaded from the library, to finding how to videos on YouTube (cooking, home repair, etc), to reading email, mapping where I need to go, to downloading and reading Board agendas as PDFs, to printing the occasional page, to booking and checking in for flights, researching travel (there's a Trip Advisor app) to uploading my photos to the cloud. The list goes on. I use my laptop (MacBook Air 11") for the "heavy lifting" like banking, spreadsheet work and composing and formatting letters. It's very compact, excellent for travel, but I rarely take it with me since ER.

For me, I'd go nuts not having a real keyboard or mouse for an extended period of time.
Yet, the portability of getting a cheap smart phone or tablet when traveling is tempting. Especially when Amazon is practically giving their lowest priced Fire Tablet.

We have and use them all, sometimes at the same time. (Last night I was using the desktop to check in on the forum while following a high school playoff game on my tablet and emailing and texting on my phone...).

My desktop is primary computer for home use, although I do use a 7 inch android tablet quite a bit, mostly as a Kindle reader for both home and travel. My laptop is primarily used for RV travel when I don't have access to the desktop. I much prefer a physical keyboard.

The android phone is used for both home (no land line) and travel.

DW has no desktop, relying on a Chromebook for both home and travel. She's also a heavy android tablet user (games and Kindle reader) and uses her android phone even more that I use mine.

I have an imac and use it daily. I love using a keyboard and mouse. I have a Kindle and a Tracfone flip phone that I carry turned off for emergencies.

DH has mac laptop, iphone 6 and Kindle Fire. I have not seen him use the Kindle Fire for a very long time.

I am toying with the idea of getting an iPad Air 2 for travel. I have been thinking about getting an iPad for several years, but have not done so yet.

My use of desktops, notebook, tablet and phone continues to evolve.

For personal use I prefer 10" nexus tablet and older iPhone. For work at home once a week, I have desktop screen side by side with 17" notebook. Also go to an older xp desktop for graphic and Web work.

When needed, I attach notebook to TV for streaming.

In order of age, newer first: dell desktop 1, nexus tablet, iPhone, hp notebook, Dell desktop 2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom