Anyone have experience with modern Mini Computers?

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I built my first PC in the mid-80's so I am not looking for you to tell me the basics. And I am not talking about the NCR's or the IBM 36's and 38's that we saw in the 80's.

I am talking about this: https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Desk...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Or something like that but maybe with an i5 instead of a Celeron. Don't need a fancy graphics card. DW and I have an office where we sometimes do projects that can't be done on cellphone, tablet or laptop. Most of these mini's have 4 USB ports, which is more than I will need. Yes, I have a big ole monitor. Yes, I have all of the peripheral devices as this would be replacing my i5 desktop that gave up the ghost.

So, for those of you who have a modern Mini Computer or similar experience, what pointers can you give me?

Also, to anticipate those who will ask: "Why would you want to do that? Just buy another desktop." Answer: 1) Few hundred dollars cheaper. 2) I like to tinker. 3) Even with desktops, they are making it harder and harder to do your own internal upgrades, so buying a $600 desktop with the thought that I can add another internal device is problematic.

Tough choice...

You may find more input on that in another thread. It seems like a very good investment.

A disadvantage for me is that if I have it on my desktop, there will be more cable clutter, and I'll lose some usable desk space.

On the same page I saw this offer below: Dell Optiplex 9020 Small Form Factor Desktop with Intel Core i7-4770 Upto 3.9GHz, HD Graphics 4600 4K Support, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, DisplayPort, HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - Windows 10 Pro (Renewed)

More RAM and storage in the Dell. But it's Windows 10, so you'd need to upgrade that, I'd think.

I know that manufacturers are not selling as many desktops, so prices seem really good.

Tough choice...

You may find more input on that in another thread. It seems like a very good investment.

A disadvantage for me is that if I have it on my desktop, there will be more cable clutter, and I'll lose some usable desk space.

On the same page I saw this offer below: Dell Optiplex 9020 Small Form Factor Desktop with Intel Core i7-4770 Upto 3.9GHz, HD Graphics 4600 4K Support, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, DisplayPort, HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - Windows 10 Pro (Renewed)

More RAM and storage in the Dell. But it's Windows 10, so you'd need to upgrade that, I'd think.

I know that manufacturers are not selling as many desktops, so prices seem really good.
I actually use this model for the living room TV on sale as a refurb. Upgraded to a new refurb i7-8700.

Tough choice...

So, you are saying that for the same price I could go with a better used (renewed) computer?

I believe that I could mount a device as small as the mini in a hidden but accessible location.

I purchased one of the Beelinks a year ago, this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1DGVTJV

It was for running a display on a big screen TV in my BIL's retail shop, updating from the web once a minute. It runs 24x7 and it's been a workhorse. It's mounted on the wall behind the TV and has a mini Logitech wireless keyboard/trackball to control it. I was going to get a cheap refurbished PC, but this was so much more practical for the task.

A no frills Apple mac mini would be my preference and they are less than $500.

A no frills Apple mac mini would be my preference and they are less than $500.

Have you used "a no frills Apple mac mini"? If so, what was your experience like?

On the Apple website, I am seeing starting price of $599. Were you thinking of used? Refurbished?

So, you are saying that for the same price I could go with a better used (renewed) computer?

I believe that I could mount a device as small as the mini in a hidden but accessible location.

You can, and you can! But used and refurbished move pretty fast.

My personal pref is 32 GB and 1 TB. But I could work with half of that.

I have dabbled with the small formats for a few years. My current file and app server Is a fixed processor 4 core celeron with 10W TDP, with 8 GB of ram.
It idles along at ~40C temps fanless.
That is my biggest concern with the ultra small packages, I would do a dive into how well they cool.

I have dabbled with the small formats for a few years. My current file and app server Is a fixed processor 4 core celeron with 10W TDP, with 8 GB of ram.
It idles along at ~40C temps fanless.
That is my biggest concern with the ultra small packages, I would do a dive into how well they cool.
Was also thinking about internal temps. You could get cpu-monitoring software utility, and/or point a small fan at the mini box, if necessary.

Edit: The EQ12 has a cooling fan.

Edit: Heat dissipation with patented dual-fan design.

The dual fans work together to offer maximum cooling for the mini PC, taking the dry heat off its case, and lowering the temperature of its CPU while it is in operation.

Last edited:
That's well and good, but do a search of the reviews using "heat" or "temperatures" and see what the users say. That was the dive I was referring to.
In linux we use a package called lm-sensors to get the data off the factory thermistors. Perhaps try "sensors" as a search term as well.

I got a used mini pc with in i5 processor last October for only about $80 off ebay.

Served a need as I hook that up to a webcam and place on top of a small area. I first was trying to use a laptop the this was a better solution.

Here's the link to that thread: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f54/i-got-myself-a-mini-pc-115658.html

I think as long as you are happy with the mini-pc's specs and not some upgrades you are good to go. You don't want to say get the mini pc, then which you could add a graphics card like you can with a desktop.

Last edited:
I built my first PC in the mid-80's so I am not looking for you to tell me the basics. And I am not talking about the NCR's or the IBM 36's and 38's that we saw in the 80's.

I am talking about this: https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Desk...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Or something like that but maybe with an i5 instead of a Celeron. Don't need a fancy graphics card. DW and I have an office where we sometimes do projects that can't be done on cellphone, tablet or laptop. Most of these mini's have 4 USB ports, which is more than I will need. Yes, I have a big ole monitor. Yes, I have all of the peripheral devices as this would be replacing my i5 desktop that gave up the ghost.

So, for those of you who have a modern Mini Computer or similar experience, what pointers can you give me?

Also, to anticipate those who will ask: "Why would you want to do that? Just buy another desktop." Answer: 1) Few hundred dollars cheaper. 2) I like to tinker. 3) Even with desktops, they are making it harder and harder to do your own internal upgrades, so buying a $600 desktop with the thought that I can add another internal device is problematic.

I have bought several of them over the years, from the very mini to the normal mini-sized, from cheaper to more expensive, from "lesser" cpu to "higher." Some are smaller by a little, or shorter, etc.

Something I noticed is that sometimes the fans can get somewhat loud periodically, but that might just be my experience of particular brands. I read the reviews carefully which told me alot.

Some of them you can mount on the back of a monitor so you might look for that. Nice feature. You might want to take a look at some of the places online which are located in the USA and assemble them to your specs. I bought one from VelocityMicro which was very solidly built and can be upgraded, and I think they still allow one to send in the pc for upgrades/service for the lifetime of the pc as part of the deal (although there is a cost as far as I know)? I seem to remember that at the time.

My own opinion after all the different types of computers I have had is that I got what I paid for. With refurbs I think one has to be careful whether the OS can be upgraded--some are older and will not support Windows 11 apparently.

One can also use a small 11.6" laptop as a desktop hookup. I came to the conclusion that if I was going to have a desktop monitor anyway, I would probably go with an all-in-one which looks like a monitor and has everything built-in and is a space saver too. I easily opened it up and upgraded the RAM which saved money on the initial purchase.

Please feel free to ask further specific questions.

Following that link, the computer is $179 (using the $10 off coupon). Given that a Windows OS these days is around $100, I don’t see how you could go wrong. For that kind of money, just keep it backed up real well and give it a try.

I’ve looked at the mini’s and they seem very interesting. I’d want to mount it on the back of a nice monitor, similar to an all in one but better since the computer and monitor are separate. The one thing that concerns me about a mini is the heat dissipation. I’m OCD when it comes to fan noise and I suspect the mini’s need a lot of fan to dissipate the heat.

One advantage to the new models is they are more energy efficient than the old refurbs.

I bought a Beelink miniPC with a Celeron processor a couple of years ago. I got this particular Celeron processor (J4125) because it was the fastest that I could get at the time without requiring a fan for heat dissipation. I mounted it on the back of a 22" monitor, and it drives two LCD monitors. It has done everything I've asked of it, including some pretty intensive spreadsheet work without a hiccup. Admittedly I don't do any video editing or other super processor-intensive computing with it. I've set it up to use OneDrive for storage, so there's nothing on the miniPC that isn't automatically backed up.

The one drawback I've found so far is that the hardware doesn't pass the Windows11 compatibility test, so it's permanently on Windows10.

I purchased one of the Beelinks a year ago, this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1DGVTJV

It was for running a display on a big screen TV in my BIL's retail shop, updating from the web once a minute. It runs 24x7 and it's been a workhorse. It's mounted on the wall behind the TV and has a mini Logitech wireless keyboard/trackball to control it. I was going to get a cheap refurbished PC, but this was so much more practical for the task.

Thanks!

Have you used "a no frills Apple mac mini"? If so, what was your experience like?

On the Apple website, I am seeing starting price of $599. Were you thinking of used? Refurbished?

IMHO Apple Mac minis are the next best thing to being bullet proof. I would not have an issue buying a refurbished or renewed Mac mini. I've been a Mac mini user since 2014 and just recently bought a new bare bone model ($599) to replace my 10 year old model (which I still use for some photo storage). I like using my own peripherals and not a fan of Apple keyboards or mice. External HD, monitors, keyboards, etc. are pretty cheap and a personal presence type of thing. I pretty much went all Apple back around 2014 or so after getting fed up with the IBM standard of computers with all their associated problems, constant virus/malware updating, Windows bugs, blue screens of death, etc. Apple products are just so much more intuitive and compatible with iPhones, iPads, Notebooks. Just my opinion though.

I got a used mini pc with in i5 processor last October for only about $80 off ebay.

Served a need as I hook that up to a webcam and place on top of a small area. I first was trying to use a laptop the this was a better solution.

Here's the link to that thread: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f54/i-got-myself-a-mini-pc-115658.html

I think as long as you are happy with the mini-pc's specs and not some upgrades you are good to go. You don't want to say get the mini pc, then which you could add a graphics card like you can with a desktop.

Thanks. That was good reading. It appears that I am late to the game.

I have bought several of them over the years, from the very mini to the normal mini-sized, from cheaper to more expensive, from "lesser" cpu to "higher." Some are smaller by a little, or shorter, etc.

Something I noticed is that sometimes the fans can get somewhat loud periodically, but that might just be my experience of particular brands. I read the reviews carefully which told me alot.

Some of them you can mount on the back of a monitor so you might look for that. Nice feature. You might want to take a look at some of the places online which are located in the USA and assemble them to your specs. I bought one from VelocityMicro which was very solidly built and can be upgraded, and I think they still allow one to send in the pc for upgrades/service for the lifetime of the pc as part of the deal (although there is a cost as far as I know)? I seem to remember that at the time.

My own opinion after all the different types of computers I have had is that I got what I paid for. With refurbs I think one has to be careful whether the OS can be upgraded--some are older and will not support Windows 11 apparently.

One can also use a small 11.6" laptop as a desktop hookup. I came to the conclusion that if I was going to have a desktop monitor anyway, I would probably go with an all-in-one which looks like a monitor and has everything built-in and is a space saver too. I easily opened it up and upgraded the RAM which saved money on the initial purchase.

Please feel free to ask further specific questions.

Thanks for the info. I go back and forth on refurbs. Have purchased a number over the years. Some good. Understand the OS issue. I am currently using an old laptop to replace the broken desktop PC. Problem is that this old laptop was replaced for a reason. I spent way too much time fixing the old laptop. Will not go into the details as I don't want to derail.

Was not considering the all-in-one as I have a great big ole monitor and other peripherals. And I wanted to play with a mini.

I have read that heat/fans are the major issue.

My question to you is: Will one of these "new" Celerons do Excel spreadsheets while also playing music over Plex?

I bought a Beelink miniPC with a Celeron processor a couple of years ago. I got this particular Celeron processor (J4125) because it was the fastest that I could get at the time without requiring a fan for heat dissipation. I mounted it on the back of a 22" monitor, and it drives two LCD monitors. It has done everything I've asked of it, including some pretty intensive spreadsheet work without a hiccup. Admittedly I don't do any video editing or other super processor-intensive computing with it. I've set it up to use OneDrive for storage, so there's nothing on the miniPC that isn't automatically backed up.

The one drawback I've found so far is that the hardware doesn't pass the Windows11 compatibility test, so it's permanently on Windows10.

Within my search, I am only including W11 models.

I was looking at the Beelink Celeron models so your comments are useful.

IMHO Apple Mac minis are the next best thing to being bullet proof. I would not have an issue buying a refurbished or renewed Mac mini. I've been a Mac mini user since 2014 and just recently bought a new bare bone model ($599) to replace my 10 year old model (which I still use for some photo storage). I like using my own peripherals and not a fan of Apple keyboards or mice. External HD, monitors, keyboards, etc. are pretty cheap and a personal presence type of thing. I pretty much went all Apple back around 2014 or so after getting fed up with the IBM standard of computers with all their associated problems, constant virus/malware updating, Windows bugs, blue screens of death, etc. Apple products are just so much more intuitive and compatible with iPhones, iPads, Notebooks. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the info. I don't know much about the Mac world. Looks like refurbs/renews that were originally built within the last 5 years run at about $450. I think that is what you are suggesting. Correct?

You can, and you can! But used and refurbished move pretty fast.

My personal pref is 32 GB and 1 TB. But I could work with half of that.

Ah! I have been withholding critical info from this discussion. 32 GB and 1 TB would be great, but you completely ignore the DW factor (because I never told you about it). In this case, the DW wants to limp along with the old painful sometimes functioning laptop instead of buying a mini. So, my goal is to get something more reliable without a lot of money.

I bought a mini pc to "tinker" with it back in October (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BC7S9R5C), on sale for a lesser amount than shown here, plus I had obtained an amazon gift card gratis to apply to it). I use it on a KVM switch shared with 7 other systems. I have not exercised it extensively, but it seems fast enough for the things I have tried. I added a 2TB HDD and that was easy to do.

One benefit for me, it runs Windows 11 so I can learn about the OS hands-on without impacting my main Windows system (which would need a CPU upgrade to pass the compatibility test).

To "paper evaluate CPU speed (which of course is just one measure of system performance) I use the Passmark CPU benchmark site (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php), where you can compare benchmarks for just about every PC CPU ever made.

Thanks for the info. I go back and forth on refurbs. Have purchased a number over the years. Some good. Understand the OS issue. I am currently using an old laptop to replace the broken desktop PC. Problem is that this old laptop was replaced for a reason. I spent way too much time fixing the old laptop. Will not go into the details as I don't want to derail.

Was not considering the all-in-one as I have a great big ole monitor and other peripherals. And I wanted to play with a mini.

I have read that heat/fans are the major issue.

My question to you is: Will one of these "new" Celerons do Excel spreadsheets while also playing music over Plex?

I am no pc expert and do not use Excel nor Plex so am unable to give an opinion. I have had several Celeron CPU computers, and in fact one of my favorites right now is a smaller form Acer Celeron J4125, responsive and I just like it. But, I don't do much with it and it is not a mini. Also, I'm not sure how a mini would handle 32GB RAM with 1TB SSD and i5. Might require more cooling and thus more fan noise sometimes? Others here are pc experts and could maybe weigh in.

I have read good things about some mini so it might just depend what you want to do with it as to how little you want to try to spend. There seems to be more fanless these days.

One thing to note is that it seems from what I have seen that many of the cheaper mini use embedded RAM and storage which would limit playing around with different GB.

Back
Top Bottom