• yes

Votes: 47 42.0%
  • no

Votes: 65 58.0%

• Total voters
setab said:
Why?

setab

Basically, I was just being stupid. Another good reason why one should not try humor/sarcasm on the internet.

setab

Outtahere said:
I would think that in this instance surgery far out weighs the risk of 30 to 50 years of taking hormones.     What about if it was you that had to take the "less risky" pill for 50% of your life?  Would you take it? 

Isn't a 50 year window of vulnerability a bit heroic? Still, I agree that hormone therapy for many years might be questioned. But people did a pretty good job of limiting family size before the pill, so it isn't a simple ”fix the man or the woman takes pills” choice.  Anyway, fixing the man only guards against the woman having a baby with that man. Given the actualities of human behavior, not a very complete solution is it now?

Besides, laparoscopic tube tying is quick and easy and has very minor risks associated with it, though I am not sure how they compare with the male procedure. I would give some thought to Grumpy's testimony too.

Ha

I would think that in this instance surgery far out weighs the risk of 30 to 50 years of taking hormones.     What about if it was you that had to take the "less risky" pill for 50% of your life?  Would you take it?

I've read quite a bit on it, and i'm not aware of any risk that begins to approach "significant" with respect to taking the pill for that long.  The pill's been around long enough now that there are people who have taken it a lifetime.  Most, if not all, of the so-called symptoms of the pill that may become unmanable will go away when you discontinue taking it.

No one questions the risk of surgey; starting with the risk of infection, unless they're just ignorant.  I knew someone personally that just outright died from a plain-jane infection that got out of control.   I see grumpy above has some reason to believe that it might have contributed to his development of testicular cancer.

Azanon

The research on the pill has been contradictory, increased chance of this cancer, reduced chance of that cancer. One thing to note is a risk of blood clots, especially if you smoke. But hey, if you are a smoker you already decided to "live life on the edge", so to speak.

My friend had the snip snip, got an infection, and the quote that still rings in my ears is, "I woke up in shooting pain, and I look down - grapefruit man! Grapefruit!!" :eek:

Ha, many a woman has had a "surprise" child because she "thought" she was beyond birth control, 50 years is not heroic.

As for problems the pills can cause, there are no clear studies that the pill causes cancer, doesn't cause cancer, strokes, blood clots or any other problem, but I certainly don't want to take the chance with my life. There is also no evidence that snipping causes cancer or another problem of the male parts other than wounded pride. Just like I wouldn't go to a quack gyno I would also hope that if a man should decide to be snipped he would find a reputable dr AND pay attention to hygiene after surgery to avoid the "grapefruit" syndrome.

I last looked into this maybe 2 years ago. IIRC, it is not reliably reversable--men who have it "reversed" have a lower chance of success in having a child than men the same age who never had the surgery. Of course, do your own research if you're contemplating, as my memory is quite faulty...

I think I also read that compared to the similar procedure given to women, a vasectomy is much simpler, lower risk, and more reliable at preventing impregnation (other than ha's issue).

Also read about the option of having sperm frozen and stored (not as expensive as I thought)... the advice there was, if you're freezen em cause you aren't certain about having more kids, then you shouldn't be having the vasectomy at all. I thought that was pretty paternalistic an attitude (no pun intended) and patients should make their own choices, but be told of the risks of losing the chance of fertility in the future, even with the backup in the freezer.

lazyday said:
Also read about the option of having sperm frozen and stored (not as expensive as I thought)...

Well yeah, those little cube trays are only 4 for $1 usually. I keep one by the computer, by the bed and in front of the TV. Be prepared!

As I recall, the cancer rate only ever declined this year in absolute terms, but has been on the decline as a relative percentage for quite a few years, FWIW.

BigMoneyJim said:
Well yeah, those little cube trays are only 4 for $1 usually. I keep one by the computer, by the bed and in front of the TV. Be prepared!

So THATS why you wanted that tabletop ice machine...!

:LOL:

Cool Dood said:
As I recall, the cancer rate only ever declined this year in absolute terms, but has been on the decline as a relative percentage for quite a few years, FWIW.

Statistics are funny and can be confusing.

Never the less it was the topic of the in-depth discussion of "If we have all of these early cancer detection tests, why isn't the death rate declining" An implied that it should be declining by a huge amount! Which is has not been!

"Why"?!?  I can tell that none of you folks have run across our kid.  When she was a toddler we briefly had a sleep-deprived conversation about a spare heir, not that we were exactly in a frame of mind to be doing anything about it, and spouse asked the key question: "What if the second one is worse?  What if he's a boy like you!??"  End of discussion.  Appointment was made the following week.  

For those of you waxing ecstatic about the convenience & benefits of birth-control pills, save yourself the trouble of discussing this with your female partner.  Get a 2x4, whack yourself alongside the head a couple times, and then go read this book report.  When you learn about the effects of the wrong BCP dosages at the wrong times of a woman's life, let alone during her cycle, then evading a couple snips & clips is no longer defensible.  And non-procreative sex is probably far more preferable than "living" with a partner who, as a result of her BCPs soaking up all the spare libido chemicals in her body, was too zombified to care about sex at all.  Presuming that she's not at monthly risk of a cardiac arrest.  If you don't know what an estradiol is then you don't have a clue what you're talking about.  So increase your longevity-- go read the @#$% book.  Because if you expect the woman in your life to assume the responsibility, then not a judge in the land would overturn the justifiable homicide verdict on your death.  They'd also award child support against your estate.

I highly recommend the medical surgeons in San Diego's Balboa Naval Hospital, or indeed any military surgeon or veteran surgeon.  The procedure is free for active duty and boy, do they do a lot of 'em.  I've heard that it takes 4000 LASIKs for opthamologists to be declared proficient, and I think that's a reasonable goal to expect of a vasectomist.

As for vasectomy reversals, do you really want a surgeon to be dragging out a magnifying glass and a bunch of microsurgery tools in that area of your anatomy?  Didn't think so.

Finally, for those of you still unpersuaded and maybe a little concerned about the expense, I'm sure the board would gladly take up a collection to dissuade some of the posters from further procreation...

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
sgeeeeee shoots blanks! ;)

I am always packing and fully loaded and enjoy regular target practice.
I just haven't shot real game in a long time. :eek: ;)

Nords said:
"Why"?!? [...]
Finally, for those of you still unpersuaded and maybe a little concerned about the expense, I'm sure the board would gladly take up a collection to dissuade some of the posters from further procreation...

Thats easy for you to say. You got to ride around underwater in a giant metal penis for 15 years...

Nords said:
For those of you waxing ecstatic about the convenience & benefits of birth-control pills, save yourself the trouble of discussing this with your female partner.

Thanks Nords for bringing a does of reality into the discussion...nothing like a bunch of guys sitting around agreeing with each other that its much better for their wifes/girlfriends to have to worry about it...and declare that vasectomies are much too dangerous...(compared to what? more dangerous than a tubal-ligation? 40 years on the pill? actually delivering a child?) theres probably a heck of a lot more inconvenience, pain and risk to giving birth and having a baby...and if your wife has already stepped up for you to go thru that (mine did 4 times), getting a vasectomy doesn't really compare...sure, there are risks - most are temporary inconveniences.

I had mine, a grew a third testicle for a while(ouch), sex was uncomfortable for a bit but now I can't tell the difference (and I'm back down to 2  :D ).

When I initially complained about the possible discomfort of the procedure when thinking about it, my wife simply reminded me of the 4 children with big heads she pushed out...on balance I say I got a good  deal. :)

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
Thats easy for you to say.  You got to ride around underwater in a giant metal penis for 15 years...
Yes, but according to the radiation docs I'm thoroughly recovered. I'm not sure how they can tell or why it matters...

REWahoo! said:
Oh man!  Bet you aced that cojones test!!!   :eek:
A guy walks into a bar, lays a $100 bill on the mahogany, and....

eh, never mind.

azanon said:
I'm not going to deny that, but to claim its an equal or greater risk than surgery is going to be a hard sell for me.

I think it would probably not be hard to demonstrate (though I have no cites falling to hand or foot but I'd be willing to contact some doctors for additional information if necessary) that pregnancy is far more life-threatening than a vasectomy.

If a male person doesn't want children, a vasectomy is a pretty minor medical event that puts the odds very much in your favor. If a couple doesn't want children, a vasectomy is a pretty minor medical event that puts the odds very much in your collective favor, and it probably minimizes the overall health risks to the couple compared to many of the alternatives.

cheers,
Michael

I had my vasectomy as soon as I found a doctor who would perform
one on me (27 at the time, before I got married). Most doctors refused
to do them on younger guys, citing "what if you change your mind?".
I knew I did not want kids ever since I was one, since I did not even
like them then.

Well, it was a 1/2 hour doctor's office procedure for me, nearly 30 years ago.  No adverse side effects. The second worst part was getting shaved down there.

But then, after the procedure, they removed the  :eek: duct tape or whatever it was that they used to hold various parts out of the way...

If you don't know what an estradiol is then you don't have a clue what you're talking about. So increase your longevity-- go read the @#$% book.

Oh no, someone claimed several things in a book! We should stop this discussion now and consider it solved since anything written in a book must be true!

Azanon

I think it would probably not be hard to demonstrate (though I have no cites falling to hand or foot but I'd be willing to contact some doctors for additional information if necessary) that pregnancy is far more life-threatening than a vasectomy.

Isn't it nice to know that there are more options than the two you listed, such as birth control pills i discussed earlier. If you know you struggle with paying attention and missing key points, maybe not posting is a better approach?

Back
Top Bottom