Snip Snip

For men only: Have you had a vasectomy?

• yes

Votes: 47 42.0%
  • no

Votes: 65 58.0%

• Total voters
Martha, just for clarity I suggest you ask the women here not to respond for their DH. :) They should only respond if they've had one. :eek:

Yes, I got "fixed" after our second child. We lived in a very strong Catholic country and they would not "tie her tubes" even though she was done with kids due to fibroids and they were in there anyway during the C-section.

No - not finished! :D

I don't think this poll was meant for the likes of Marshac, WildCat and I, though, was it?

Because it is unnecessary surgery.  

From the way you pose the question, I think you might be assuming something about reasons for getting a vasectomy that don't apply to everyone.

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
sgeeeeee shoots blanks! ;)
No.  But that would be another reason not to get one.   ;)

EDIT: Well . . . to be honest, I guess I don't know whether I shoot blanks or not. Finding out would be another unnecessary medical test. :)

sgeeeee said:
Because it is unnecessary surgery.

From the way you pose the question, I think you might be assuming something about reasons for getting a vasectomy that don't apply to everyone.

The question was posed as yes or no with an invite to talk. No assumptions. Of course, many are not done having children.

If you gentlemen do not want to be snipped who should be responsible for birthcontrol?

Outtahere said:
If you gentlemen do not want to be snipped who should be responsible for birthcontrol?
I think Jennifer should be placed in charge of birth control. :D

sgeeeee said:
No. But that would be another reason not to get one. ;)

EDIT: Well . . . to be honest, I guess I don't know whether I shoot blanks or not. Finding out would be another unnecessary medical test. :)

You know, there is an easier and more fun way........

Martha said:
If not, why not?

I've always believed that anything hot or anything sharp should stay away from that area.......

Anyway, isn't it every man's goal to do that last-man-on-earth re-seed the entire population thing, whether you're the last man on earth or not? ;)

At any rate, I haven't even started yet, so I'm definitely not finished................

If not, why not?

All surgery carries risks, so i'm not sure its worth taking.  I'm not a doctor at all, but that equipment down there is very complicated and does multiple things.  I'm not sure cutting, tying, and/or rerouting tubes is a good approach for making it work better.  It could only make things worse, right?

I am done with kids, but I try to make sure the only women in my life are those that I trust to use birth control.   Unfortunately, life does require you to trust people from time to time, so I guess I take the risk of "trust" every now and then.

Honestly, i'm not completely opposed to a vasectomy.   I havent really looked into the real risks and potential complications of the surgery.   If they were as nill as, say, removing my wisdom teeth, I might actually just go ahead and do it.

Azanon 

azanon said:
All surgery carries risks, so i'm not sure its worth taking.  I'm not a doctor at all, but that equipment down there is very complicated and does multiple things.  I'm not sure cutting, tying, and/or rerouting tubes is a good approach for making it work better.  It could only make things worse, right?

Taking hormones for 20-30 years carries risks too.

A cautionary tale:

I had a vasectomy at age 31 after our second child was born since DW had problems on the pill. The surgery was done poorly (excessive swelling and bleeding) by a doctor who soon after lost his medical license. At age 36 I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. No way to know if this was caused by the earlier problems. Obviously, I survived with only the loss of one of the two family jewels and have not had any other negative consequences in over 20 years. The bottom line - if you are considering this procedure, find an experienced urologist with a good reputation and plenty of experience. Just one more reason why I am ....

Grumpy

Outtahere said:

Better get out our protective head gear fellas... ;)

How about...whoever is closest to the nightstand, still on their feet, not already tied up, or would least like to be pregnant? :LOL:

Best excuse to have your wife wait on you for 2 to 3 days (doctor's orders)  :LOL:

img_367065_0_da41c53487f147a60dd548bd7bb2335a.jpg

Dahlink, furst I give you zee snip; zen I give you zee slap!

Ha

Taking hormones for 20-30 years carries risks too.

I'm not going to deny that, but to claim its an equal or greater risk than surgery is going to be a hard sell for me.

Not snipped. I'm 35 and have no kids, but I may want them if I meet a woman who's not....nevermind.

I have coworkers who are considering or who have been snipped. A couple are younger than I. I see the appeal, and it's supposedly reversible, but even at 35 I don't think I'd do it even if I had kids and thought I was through with kids and thought my marriage was 100% rock solid. I've seen too many people break up and start new families. Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared.

I would think that in this instance surgery far out weighs the risk of 30 to 50 years of taking hormones.     What about if it was you that had to take the "less risky" pill for 50% of your life?  Would you take it?  

Back
Top Bottom