SoCAL 6.4 EarthQuake

We felt it — and saw it — gently rolling things from side to side and knew it was a big one somewhere.

There have been several in that area, near the China Lake NAWS.

We are in Ventura County and felt it. I am concerned for a friend of ours who lives near the epicenter.

Some moderate shaking but no damage at all... It's been quiet in terms of earthquake activity since 1995. The last big one was in 1994 (Northridge). We have earthquake insurance.

Not many people live out there. Closest town is Ridgecrest. The one person that reported the intensity on the USGS "Did you feel it" page from that area rated it VII, significant shaking.

It was fairly deep. Lots of aftershocks in the mid threes to the mid fours, which would be likely have been felt all the way to the northern San Fernando Valley.

A good reminder of the big one to come...

I'm about 80 miles from Ridgecrest, some idiot set off a firework seconds before it happened. I was mentally cussing them for upsetting my dog yet again and suddenly everything started to rock and roll. To me it was short, maybe 30 seconds, but my kids who both live within a mile of me swear that it went for more than a minute which is what most people seem to be saying. Interesting to note that there was an earlier quake today of 6.2 further up the coast in Canada.
We've had a lot of aftershocks but anything smaller than a 5, we generally don't feel unless it rolls under you. Here is the link to the USGS page for anyone interested
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

It shook for quite a while here. DH and I were talking about how long it was lasting while the shaking was going on.

Some friends of ours live in Ridgecrest and work at China Lake. Haven't heard from them yet, so I hope things are o.k. It sounds like both Ridgecrest and Trona have been hit pretty hard.

No big deal, We have had 10 in the last eight months:
smallest 3.8 largest 8.0, most range from 4.6-5.6

Live on the 15th & 16th floor and won't get out of bed for less than a 5.6. In 15 years we had 2 8.0's, now those were rockin!

Just got a message from a friend in Ridgecrest. She was slightly injured trying to make it outside.. She lost some glassware and pictures. Her brother, who lives nearby, had a china cabinet fall over.

I heard a TV report that it was even felt in Vegas.

Glad to hear reports that personal injuries were generally minor.

Question to those who live in the area—isn’t Ridgecrest normally “seismically active”? With low scale quakes occurring every week, if not day? If true, I would expect buildings and residents to be fairly prepared for these larger quakes.

Over 150 miles from the quake epicenter. Moms rough -n-tumble cat was missing in action when i checked about midnight. In the past, fireworks noise has never affected him., but today was also the first quake of any significance................Went out on the trail with a flashlight, spotted two eyes 100 yards away. got close enough to see the tuxedo coat, and he runs another 100 feet up the trail.........About 4 am , hunger won out over fear.:LOL:

Glad to hear reports that personal injuries were generally minor.

Question to those who live in the area—isn’t Ridgecrest normally “seismically active”? With low scale quakes occurring every week, if not day? If true, I would expect buildings and residents to be fairly prepared for these larger quakes.

Not much out there. Sparsely populated. Chemical company surface mine, and the China Lake Naval air station is about it for industry.

Buildings in the area are uh, lets say, low rent.

Well we didn’t feel the first one, but it looks like they just had a bigger quake. It hit us about 5 min later. Sitting outside and the pool started rolling! Hope all are ok.

Magnitude 7.1 per USGS. Can't get their website to load.

Now downgraded to 6.9. One Did You Feel It rating in Inyokern of IX - major damage.

Upgraded back to 7.1 now...

Last edited:
We just had another shaker that lasted over a minute. USGS is giving it a prelim rating of 7.1 about 11 miles from Ridgecrest. We are about 230 miles from there so I can only imagine what you guys who are closer are feeling.

I felt this one and knew it was worse than the one yesterday. I’m in SW Riverside County. Long, rolling motion, creaking, cracking noises, swaying chandeliers, and water sloshing out of the pool.

1 in 20 chance of bigger one coming after the 7.1 one. If you haven't done so already, it is time to tie down those furniture for those who live around the area.

I’m over 100 miles away and the 6.4 was a reminder. Felt the 7.1 as a long roller. I lived close to Northridge in ‘94. I can relate to those who gathered with others to sleep outside. It’s unsettling for months.

Fiancé is just west of Phoenix and the chair she was sitting in risked side to side, chandeliers were swaying and water sloshed out of the pool

Would go out there to NAWCWD for work, have friends / co workers there. One is coming over to my side next week, sure to hear a story.... how all are safe.

Back
Top Bottom